Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Equipment to get started in 2023

cole440

After spending tons of time reading the existing threads about equipment, I came to ask what people think in '23. Planning on setting up with a S&W 627 with 38 special brass for the time being.

Pistol I purchased comes with a Blade Tech holster so there isn't much issue there. (though if anybody else has recs, feel free to leave them below. It looks like Blade tech no longer makes an N frame holster so I wouldn't mind knowing who else makes a good one)

Any recs on a good belt while I have your attention? I have a Kore belt I was going to use for the time being to keep costs down.

The biggest thing I am interested in finding out is what is the best way to start on a moon rack? I really like the design of the North Mountain, but based on a thread I saw from 2021 (I think) there is no way to buy those, my own research confirms this. I believe that I am more than capable of making one, but think I would be guessing on it to an extent. My gut feeling is that I don't want the extra parts involved with the one that automatically feeds the moons for you. That leaves some type of magnet holder... Looking for any and all thoughts on this.

As far as the clips themselves go, I am planning on picking up 20 of the TK starline clips to begin with. If a magnetic moon rack is the best way to go, anybody have insight to how well these stick to the rack?

Any other general insights would be helpful!

Thanks,

Cole

Edited by cole440

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used the BladeTec revo holster and their full moon clip holders since 1997. I also use the CR Speed velcro underbelt system.

There are many options for gear including Safariland gear.

DM me if you want pix, I cannot get my phone to download pix here...

Yes the TK stainless clips stick to the magnets. Call up Speed-E-Rack and get one of each size coming. It’s nice to have the 2 post someplace else. I reload string hand and keep 2 posts behind my back. Get the bolt on rack, don’t mess with the clip things. 

I highly recommend going straight to short colt brass from Starline, and getting the stainless clips from TK for that specific brass. Short colt is a huge advantage over full length cartridges and it’s easiest to do it now than buy clips for random brass and have to spend the money a few months later once someone shows you how awesome short colt is. 

As far as the short colt goes, I am a little hesitant to start making up loads on my own. If I did SC, I was thinking a 147 or a 150gn bullet and base it off a 9mm load. Any thoughts on that?

I think I read that there are some 147 and 150 grain bullets out there in a 38 size...

1 hour ago, MWP said:

Yes the TK stainless clips stick to the magnets. Call up Speed-E-Rack and get one of each size coming. It’s nice to have the 2 post someplace else. I reload string hand and keep 2 posts behind my back. Get the bolt on rack, don’t mess with the clip things. 

I highly recommend going straight to short colt brass from Starline, and getting the stainless clips from TK for that specific brass. Short colt is a huge advantage over full length cartridges and it’s easiest to do it now than buy clips for random brass and have to spend the money a few months later once someone shows you how awesome short colt is. 

I certainly agree about 38 Short Colt.  However, I'm a big fan of the James Austin Moon Clip Server.  

52 minutes ago, cole440 said:

As far as the short colt goes, I am a little hesitant to start making up loads on my own. If I did SC, I was thinking a 147 or a 150gn bullet and base it off a 9mm load. Any thoughts on that?

I think I read that there are some 147 and 150 grain bullets out there in a 38 size...

Yes, you got it right.  

Edited by varminter22

49 minutes ago, Toolguy said:

That would be a great load to go with. I'm running 38 SC with 4 gr. of 231 and a 160 Bayou bullet.

Funny thing about 231, it also makes power factor with 3.8 and a Blue Bullets 147 (they really weigh 149)

Name: .38 Short Colt: 149gr Blue TC: 231 3.80gr: Starline Case: OAL 1.2 S&W 627
Notes: S&W 627
Shots: 6
Average: 823 ft/s
SD: 11 ft/s
Min: 804 ft/s
Max: 837 ft/s
Spread: 33 ft/s
Power Factor Average: 122
Power Factor Low: 119
Power Factor High: 124
Barometric Pressure: 30 in Hg
Temperature: 56 F
Weight: 149.0 gr.
Powder/Wt: 231 3.80gr
Bullet/Wt: Blue 149gr TC
Primer: Win SPP
Case: Starline
OAL: 1.2
Gun: S&W 627

As long as we are spending your money, the BMT mooning/de-mooning tool for the 627 is the best money I spent on revolver equipment. 

Short Colts are 100% the way to go, 3 things to know about loading them,

1, you can run the OAL longer than spec for either a SC or a 9mm, I'm usually right at 1.2 

2, your shooting them in a 357 rated gun not a turn of the century antique to any SC load data you see in a manual is likely useless.

3, I have had bad luck with lighter bullets like 130 grainers, I believe its because the bullet leaves the case before getting to the throat, 147+ has been great 

7 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

As long as we are spending your money, the BMT mooning/de-mooning tool for the 627 is the best money I spent on revolver equipment. 

Short Colts are 100% the way to go, 3 things to know about loading them,

1, you can run the OAL longer than spec for either a SC or a 9mm, I'm usually right at 1.2 

Yes, yes, yes, in that order.

All good advice above. Speed-e-rack bolt on, TK blue moons, Starline short colt brass, blue bullet 147 (now even pointier). My only variation is that I use American Select powder only because it was the hotness when I got in the game and a friend had a bunch that he didn’t want. Sounds like any shotgun powder will work (Clays, clay dot, etc). 1000 pieces of the brass is a good rotation for my one match a month usage.

Might try HearthCo enos forum member name, I bought 50 moon clips from him pretty cheap.  He was the original.

I'm not a fan of the magnetic holders, but know many who use them and haven't seen any flying around though. 

Might take a look at Mark Mandrell's line too at Midwest Competition Works https://www.midwestcompetitionworks.com/shop/revolver

I used a Blade Tech for a number of years, I cut the front down about half way to give more clearance for the barrel though.

As for Belts I've settled on the Double Alpha Academy DAA, Shooters Connection is selling some that look good to, they are super stiff and use the Inner Belt System.  The DAA's also have the grippy velcro on the Belt not the Inner Belt, makes a difference when you need to take your rig off and don't want to take the inner off too.  

Edited by pskys2

Well I have tons of goodies on the way.

Went with a speed-e-rack

BMT Mooner

DAA Belt, and got the BE discount which is a nice perk

Got some TK starline moon clips and a few hundred starline 38sc cases to start

I also picked up some Bayou 145 rn to start with!

24 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

I found Titegroup to be filthy in my revo. Anybody else?

I’ve done a ton of reading over the last couple days trying to narrow down what people think. You aren’t alone.

it seems like it’s pretty dirty when you use it behind conventional lead or any traditional plastic type of coating. Based on what I read people have good luck with plated/jacketed/ and the new coatings like hi tek.

the consensus seems to be that it’s just slightly more dirty than clays and more accurate usually.

more importantly it’s available. I’m realizing that I don’t have any good fast powders besides some stuff from when I used to load shotgun.

Edited by cole440