Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Equipment to get started in 2023

cole440

I think the idea of using 38 Short Colt in a 929 is that it gave you more or less a rimmed 9mm. I don’t think the idea behind it was to shoot one day in 627 then the next day shoot in 929 and then back to 627. If shot in 929 then just reload for 929 and should not be a problem if reloaded with 9mm dies. Or maybe 🤔 just shoot 9mm in the 929. Just a thought and what do I know I don’t even own a 929. 

🏻🇺🇸

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

OK gotta ask,, Why shoot 38 short colt in a 929 ? Thought the hole point of a 929 is to be able to shhot cheap, readily available 9mm

I could never get cheap 9mm ammo to work in my 929. Lots of pulled bullets and light strikes.

30 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

OK gotta ask,, Why shoot 38 short colt in a 929 ? Thought the hole point of a 929 is to be able to shhot cheap, readily available 9mm

Cause I have 2 other 627's, 2 j frame 38 and a m28 (use in classic no less).  Plus I hate loading 9mm, i do just avoid when I can.

Some other issues relating to crossing over shooting between 9mm revolver and semi autos.  

12 hours ago, revoman said:

I think the idea of using 38 Short Colt in a 929 is that it gave you more or less a rimmed 9mm. I don’t think the idea behind it was to shoot one day in 627 then the next day shoot in 929 and then back to 627. If shot in 929 then just reload for 929 and should not be a problem if reloaded with 9mm dies. Or maybe 🤔 just shoot 9mm in the 929. Just a thought and what do I know I don’t even own a 929. 

🏻🇺🇸

RM:

There was a thread on the 929 a month or so ago and it appears that the "9mm" barrel is .357.  So, cheap 9mm ammo will be undersized.

I do not own a 929, primarily because I really dislike loading 9mm and find the cartridge to be kind of boring.

May want to take a look because I was pretty surprised to find from the more experienced guys here that Smith and Wesson uses .38 caliber barrels in their 929.

GG

Ok, I just recently bought a used 929 that I know was several years old. Heard all comments about bad accuracy, I ordered 147 gr. bullets from summit city bullets loaded with federal primers. This thing shot great accuracy was good , never slugged the barrel so I don’t know if it was 357 or 355 . But plate rack at 15 yards was no problem. So I soon realized why I stopped shooting rev. and sold it. 

53 minutes ago, gargoil66 said:

RM:

There was a thread on the 929 a month or so ago and it appears that the "9mm" barrel is .357.  So, cheap 9mm ammo will be undersized.

I do not own a 929, primarily because I really dislike loading 9mm and find the cartridge to be kind of boring.

May want to take a look because I was pretty surprised to find from the more experienced guys here that Smith and Wesson uses .38 caliber barrels in their 929.

GG

I DO own a 929 and it was virtually impossible to shoot factory 9mm ammo. I was getting light strikes and pulled bullets.

Most factory 9mm is not crimped, so bullet creep and pull was a real problem for me.

Since I had to reload, I went back to my 627 since I was already loading for that.

21 hours ago, pskys2 said:

Cause I have 2 other 627's, 2 j frame 38 and a m28 (use in classic no less).  Plus I hate loading 9mm, i do just avoid when I can.

Some other issues relating to crossing over shooting between 9mm revolver and semi autos.  

Wichita show was worth the trip,, actually had several guns to chose from  other than Glocks, AR's and junk..  Alot more quality used guns than I have seen at shows in a while. 
Bought a 617 from vendor with Lyndon on his banner , asked if it was you but had never heard of Brian Enos... Saw a 45 XDM I liked and a 7" 1911 45 Ida jumped on if I was still shooting pins.. Also several STI eagles,, and get this , all in 45 
Saw a pro series 627 in 4" probably woulda bought if it was a 5"

2 hours ago, Joe4d said:

Wichita show was worth the trip,, actually had several guns to chose from  other than Glocks, AR's and junk..  Alot more quality used guns than I have seen at shows in a while. 
Bought a 617 from vendor with Lyndon on his banner , asked if it was you but had never heard of Brian Enos... Saw a 45 XDM I liked and a 7" 1911 45 Ida jumped on if I was still shooting pins.. Also several STI eagles,, and get this , all in 45 
Saw a pro series 627 in 4" probably woulda bought if it was a 5"

2 gun shops in Lyndon, Harrison's (they're kind of stand offish know it alls) and charger arms (Adam balzer, great guy and a friend don't know all of his help though).  It was probably Scott Harrison.

All of the 627 pro are 4", the 5" are PC and about$200+ more.

I run a pro with a dot in icore open.

7 hours ago, pskys2 said:

So far have 2 loadings on the 38sc I'd shot in a 929, the 1st with regular dies and they seemed a bit tight, the second was with a lee undersize die and couldn't tell any difference with any of my other 38sc.

I'm fairly new to shooting revolver, and my 929, but is the 929 able to shoot .38sc out of the box? I've seen the moonclips advertised for both, but curious if it cna shoot both calibers.

Edited by Arcrunner

5 hours ago, Arcrunner said:

I'm fairly new to shooting revolver, and my 929, but is the 929 able to shoot .38sc out of the box? I've seen the moonclips advertised for both, but curious if it cna shoot both calibers.

When referring to 38sc are you asking about super comp or short colt?

99% of the time in an icore/ipsc/uspsa conversation about revolvers, SC is referring to short colt. And that’s what pskys2 is talking about here in 929 and 627s chambered in 357.

There was a 627-4 that was chambered in 38super that’s also commonly confused with 627s with 4” barrels. It can use 38 super comp as well. 

Short colt ammo that runs in 627s will run fine in 929s. Usually it won’t go back in the 627 because the brass is bulged, but there are a few solutions to that. Generally, people looking to get into revolvers for icore/uspsa/ipsc/steel challenge make a decision to go 9mm in a 929, or short colt in 627s. But then again some people mix those, and some of us just do both!

6 hours ago, Arcrunner said:

Yes but they take different moon clips.  There are those for a 929 9mm, won't work with 38s, and the ones for a 627 will work with 38s in the 929, but you can't fit 9mm in them.

Just now, MWP said:

I know you are. I think Arcrunner might be thinking super comp. 

Gotcha Fwiw I run 100 38sc through a buddies 929, on resizing with a normal sizing die they fit all of my 38 revolvers a little more snug than I'd like for a match, before sizing they wouldn't fit.  On a 2nd loading I used a lee undersize 38 die and can't tell any difference with my normal cases.  Don't know what the effects will be on life of the case, especially if done regularly.

While I like shooting revo, nothing beats the blast and noise of 9.6g of 3N38 in super comp.  I'm currently in a quandary as to what to mainly work on this year.  I was going to go full out and go after the top A open shooters up here.  But now there are a bunch of revo match's we plan on attending...argggg.

3 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

While I like shooting revo, nothing beats the blast and noise of 9.6g of 3N38 in super comp.  I'm currently in a quandary as to what to mainly work on this year.  I was going to go full out and go after the top A open shooters up here.  But now there are a bunch of revo match's we plan on attending...argggg.

Bottom feeders have no soul. Revo shooters are the true "renaissance man".

On 1/27/2023 at 8:46 AM, gargoil66 said:

You won't go wrong with Titegroup.  If some is available for you, grab it.

Titegroup is outstanding imo, very clean, meters very consistently and chrono's the same everywhere I go.

I find n320 to be a little dirty by comparison and 2x the cost.  

20 minutes ago, testosterone said:

Titegroup is outstanding imo, very clean, meters very consistently and chrono's the same everywhere I go.

I find n320 to be a little dirty by comparison and 2x the cost.  

I had just the opposite experience. I found Titegroup to be FILTHY in my revo.

58 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

I had just the opposite experience. I found Titegroup to be FILTHY in my revo.

Another post mentioned, and I would guess same, the pressure is to low.

I only ever shot plated or hitek bullets though, and of those two, plated are decidedly slightly cleaner(less leading at the gap on the top strap mainly).

When i was shooting 38spec and long colt, n320 definitely left the gun dirtier with partially burnt residue which was definitely from to low pressure, but enough titegroup to make same velocity was clean.