Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Equipment to get started in 2023

cole440

1 hour ago, gargoil66 said:

Mike:

You misunderstand me here.  Was saying that if the 929 has a .357 barrel, then using factory loaded 9mm with a .355 bullet probably won't give good performance.  

You 'pull / push' a pistol cartridge?  Do it with rifle ammo but not pistol ammo.  

GG

Actually one can have both worlds.  A 929 with 9mm moonclips and 38 short colts with the 627 moon clips, downside of using 38 sc in 9mm is the brass expands a bit more and could be an issue if reusing it in a 627.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

Actually one can have both worlds.  A 929 with 9mm moonclips and 38 short colts with the 627 moon clips, downside of using 38 sc in 9mm is the brass expands a bit more and could be an issue if reusing it in a 627.

If you have a 9mm, I see no reason not to use the 9mm case. I was after the ability to use factory 38 special for fun, or the ability to load it up with 357 magnum incase I ever want to carry the pistol or what have you.

I didn’t really feel comfortable with the idea of being stuck with moon clips with a 929.

Not to mention the other deciding factors in my particular situation that I mentioned before…

Edited by cole440

3 hours ago, MWP said:

I believe the medical questions went out the door sept 1 on the northern side of the border, just days after the icore Canadian regional. I know several Canadians who flew and drove in and out last year with guns to go to matches. I’m hoping with the law changes we will be able to go north for matches and bring our stuff though. 

Canada does not care about your medical status anymore,just make sure your gun paperwork is in order.  The US CBP agents are hit or miss.  I’ve heard of some local shooters getting turned around trying to get into the US.

My gunsmith sold his ticket for the PanAm as we didn’t want to get everyone else he was going with turned around.

4 hours ago, gargoil66 said:

Mike:

You misunderstand me here.  Was saying that if the 929 has a .357 barrel, then using factory loaded 9mm with a .355 bullet probably won't give good performance.  

You 'pull / push' a pistol cartridge?  Do it with rifle ammo but not pistol ammo.  

GG

Push/pull???  

I’ve once shot 9mm factory once out of my 929 in practice somewhere in CO prior to a match.

I quickly found Ibeji .358 165gr to work great, crimped like mad @ 1.185”. I think I started with Bayou 160’s. It’s been a while.  At some point I noticed only Blazer wasn’t giving me light strikes (this was prior to getting Olhasso fixing all our guns).  I was using a mix of WIN, FC and Blazer for a while 

3 hours ago, cole440 said:

If you have a 9mm, I see no reason not to use the 9mm case. I was after the ability to use factory 38 special for fun, or the ability to load it up with 357 magnum incase I ever want to carry the pistol or what have you.

I didn’t really feel comfortable with the idea of being stuck with moon clips with a 929.

Not to mention the other deciding factors in my particular situation that I mentioned before…

Same here, just pointing out variables.  If I was to run across a good deal on a 929, I'd be tempted though.

Did you get the extension for your daa holster?  If not it's worth it.

42 minutes ago, MikeyScuba said:

Push/pull???  

I’ve once shot 9mm factory once out of my 929 in practice somewhere in CO prior to a match.

I quickly found Ibeji .358 165gr to work great, crimped like mad @ 1.185”. I think I started with Bayou 160’s. It’s been a while.  At some point I noticed only Blazer wasn’t giving me light strikes (this was prior to getting Olhasso fixing all our guns).  I was using a mix of WIN, FC and Blazer for a while 

Mike:

Not uncommon for us to pull the bullet out of issued ammunition, brush out the tar coating inside the neck, chamfer and seat a match bullet of the same or lighter weight on top of the load.  Yes, it has another name but for the sake of not getting bogged down in an argument, I use the term 'pull / push'.  Pull the issued bullet, push (seat) a Match King in its place.  Would be a real tedious process with pistol ammo and surely not worth the time. 

With my 627's, I went through probably what everyone else does with brass.  Bouncing from brand to brand thinking that one brand was more reliable than others.  Measured rim thickness, how deep the primer pockets, etc.   Total waste of time.  Bought Starline brass because it was the only brand available and if I needed to tighten a strain screw, I did it until I didn't have light strikes anymore.  

GG

Edited by gargoil66

1 hour ago, MikeyScuba said:

Push/pull???  

See, in my 929 the only thing that would work reliably was Federal brass with Federal Small Pistol Primers, and TK moon clips.

24 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

See, in my 929 the only thing that would work reliably was Federal brass with Federal Small Pistol Primers, and TK moon clips.

YRR:

Were you able to figure out why Fed brass and Fed SPPs were the only reliable combo for you?

If so, what did you find out?

GG

8 minutes ago, gargoil66 said:

YRR:

Were you able to figure out why Fed brass and Fed SPPs were the only reliable combo for you?

If so, what did you find out?

GG

Yes and no. I know Federal Small Pistol Primers are the most sensitive, so I'm able to have a 6 pound double action trigger pull with good reliability (don't jinx me ICORE Gods).

No idea why Federal brass, but it gave me the right amount of grip on my TK moon clips, and was easy to use in my BMT Mooner.

On the flip side, my 627 was plug and play. I shoot it 99.99% of the time.

10 hours ago, pskys2 said:

Waking up in the middle of the night, cold sweat, hands shaking having just dreamed of a 6" barrel on my 627's!?  Keeps floating in my mind visions of a 6" with a removable Comp even!

Afraid I'm losing it?

I have an extra brand new 8-shot S&W 27-7 with a 6.5" barrel that I would sell......but I know you, Dave, and you would not like the price!!   (They only made 100 of them, and they are pretty much a collector's item today.)  

41 minutes ago, Carmoney said:

I have an extra brand new 8-shot S&W 27-7 with a 6.5" barrel that I would sell......but I know you, Dave, and you would not like the price!!   (They only made 100 of them, and they are pretty much a collector's item today.)  

I’d like to buy that. But as soon as we cross from shooter to collector, I’m out! 

11 hours ago, ysrracer said:

Yes and no. I know Federal Small Pistol Primers are the most sensitive, so I'm able to have a 6 pound double action trigger pull with good reliability (don't jinx me ICORE Gods).

No idea why Federal brass, but it gave me the right amount of grip on my TK moon clips, and was easy to use in my BMT Mooner.

On the flip side, my 627 was plug and play. I shoot it 99.99% of the time.

YR:

One more question please.

You imply you shoot the 929 in ICORE but the 627 for almost everything else.

Why the 929 for ICORE and not the 627?

Thanks!

GG

19 hours ago, pskys2 said:

Waking up in the middle of the night, cold sweat, hands shaking having just dreamed of a 6" barrel on my 627's!?  Keeps floating in my mind visions of a 6" with a removable Comp even!

Afraid I'm losing it?

Just call S&W and see they will sell you a 929 barrel after all it is .357. Tell them about your dreams. 

1 hour ago, gargoil66 said:

YR:

One more question please.

You imply you shoot the 929 in ICORE but the 627 for almost everything else.

Why the 929 for ICORE and not the 627?

Thanks!

GG

No, I shoot my 627 in ICORE. I don't shoot my 929 in anything. They're basically the same gun, but I like the 627 better.

I had the barrel shortened on the 929 to five inches.

929 on top

Screenshot_20201214-090110_1.png

14 hours ago, Carmoney said:

It's not that I mind spending, though I do cringe at defiling a classic it's i just can't stop myself.  

22 hours ago, ysrracer said:

No, I shoot my 627 in ICORE. I don't shoot my 929 in anything. They're basically the same gun, but I like the 627 better.

929 on top

YR:

Most excellent looking blaster is your 929.  Doesn't even look like it has been shot!  He, he.

The 627 looks just like mine though. 

If I bought something like the 929, I would want it in .38 Super unless it can be chambered for 9 X 23 which I think is basically .38 Super.  Am sure revolver guys have done this or found out it couldn't be done.  If it were the heat, everyone here would be using one so I guess that is another non starter.

Too me, looking at all these chamberings and cartridge choices, it seems to me that the .38 Super would be the ideal cartridge to use for the types of competitions that are popular today.  

Kind of a bummer.

GG

23 hours ago, ysrracer said:

929 on top

Who did your 929 barrel work?

23 hours ago, cole440 said:

How true are the comments about the titanium cylinder being “sticky” to extract and sensitive to different loads?

I witnessed that in a match, but the 929 shooter was using factory Blazer steel cased ammo.  Now he knows better after creating a nice hole in his palm from the extractor rod.

2 hours ago, gargoil66 said:

YR:

Most excellent looking blaster is your 929.  Doesn't even look like it has been shot!  He, he.

The 627 looks just like mine though. 

If I bought something like the 929, I would want it in .38 Super unless it can be chambered for 9 X 23 which I think is basically .38 Super.  Am sure revolver guys have done this or found out it couldn't be done.  If it were the heat, everyone here would be using one so I guess that is another non starter.

Too me, looking at all these chamberings and cartridge choices, it seems to me that the .38 Super would be the ideal cartridge to use for the types of competitions that are popular today.  

Kind of a bummer.

GG

Why?  I believe the Aussies have to shoot 38 super as they are not allowed to shoot military/police calibers.  Having the extra case capacity is nothing but a downside when you've only got 2.9grs of powder. 

As for the slower gas/comps I'm not 100% sure but I don't think that works well or at all in a revo.  The way to go in revo is heavy bullet.

The 929 is a 9x21 (for the Italian market, again no military calibers for civilians)

1 hour ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

Who did your 929 barrel work?

A tractor mechanic in Phoenix. His name rhymes with Glank Frenn.

Hopefully he's retired by now.

I had to take it to a local gunsmith in So Cal to have the tap he broke off removed. The first guy literally JB welded my front sight on.