Equipment to get started in 2023

cole440

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

165gr .358 Ibeji

Here's my data for 231 with a 147gr Blue Bullet. I had to go to 4 grains to make power factor.

Name: .38 Short Colt: 149gr Blue TC: 231 4.00gr: Starline Case: OAL

1.2 S&W 627

Notes: S&W 627

Shots: 5
Average: 841 ft/s
SD: 19 ft/s
Min: 815 ft/s
Max: 873 ft/s
Spread: 58 ft/s
Power Factor Average: 125
Power Factor Low: 121
Power Factor High: 130
Barometric Pressure: 30 in Hg
Temperature: 56 F
Weight: 149.0 gr.
Powder/Wt: 231 4.00gr
Bullet/Wt: Blue 149gr TC
Primer: Win SPP
Case: Starline
OAL: 1.2
Gun: S&W 627

Swore off Graf years ago, they ship signature required.. Like umm hello I have a job I go to, where I get money to buy stuff. 
Looks like Starline price includes shipping..  Other discount places I use all seem to be out of stock

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2023 at 12:27 PM, revoman said:

I will second that 

I’ve found that Sport Pistol works as well as 320, for lead, or coated but, half the price.

IF you can find any. Lucky for me, I bought some before COVID. Unfortunately, I was waiting for Black Friday specials to stock up on primers, but COVID screwed that up for me 😡

On 2/1/2023 at 12:41 PM, gargoil66 said:

Mike:

You misunderstand me here.  Was saying that if the 929 has a .357 barrel, then using factory loaded 9mm with a .355 bullet probably won't give good performance.  

You 'pull / push' a pistol cartridge?  Do it with rifle ammo but not pistol ammo.  

GG

A few years ago, I ordered some 160 grain, 9mm bullets from BBI, and paid a little extra to have them sized to.357, but found that I could only load them in Federal brass and still get them to case gauge 

28 minutes ago, RH45 said:

A few years ago, I ordered some 160 grain, 9mm bullets from BBI, and paid a little extra to have them sized to.357, but found that I could only load them in Federal brass and still get them to case gauge 

RH45:

Was wondering about that.  Visions of blowing out brass then having to find a sizer die that would size for .358.

Or, finding brass that worked like you did.

GG

This thread reminds me, I have 5 or so gallons of 130pf 9mm,  loaded for a 4.5" XDM.  Should see what it does in the 929..
More barrel but also the cylinder gap thing. 
So lets place our bets on what it chrono's

2 hours ago, RH45 said:

Yep, agreed. I have a 929 with a .357 barrel. I use Blue Bullets 147 sized .358 with Federal Small Pistol Primers, Federal brass, and TK .035 moon clips.

In my 627 in using Starline .38 short colt brass, Federal Small Pistol Primers, and Bayou Bullets 160gr RN.

1 hour ago, Joe4d said:

This thread reminds me, I have 5 or so gallons of 130pf 9mm,  loaded for a 4.5" XDM.  Should see what it does in the 929..

Based on my experience it’s going to be a decent amount slower out of the revolver.

(This is just a guess from using 9mm data in 38sc)

3 hours ago, Joe4d said:

Only need 1 to make 120 in icore or 3 to average 125 in uspsa.  At local level it's more about how they perform for accuracy.  So I'd bet they would be fine.

24 minutes ago, MikeyScuba said:

Be wary of for a semi loaded 9mm.  By shot 7 or 8 your bullet might pop out.  Just shoot 4 unload and measure OAL.  Repeat.

plus the 929 is fussy with ammo and point of impact 

Yeah, I couldn't shoot factory ammo out of mine due to bullet creep, and light hits.

On 4/30/2023 at 12:58 PM, ysrracer said:

Yeah, I couldn't shoot factory ammo out of mine due to bullet creep, and light hits.

Been shooting  LAX 135 gr plated reloads out of mine without issue. Seems to be hitting minute of 6" plate at 25 yards.  Need to chrono them, they have more recoil than my 124gr FMJ loads.  Which I will probably stick with. I have a bunch, plus they are .356 FMJ's  someone ( precision delta ?) had a clearance sale on 38 Supers.  Years back,, Bought several cases when I built an open 38 super,, think I only ever shot one match and they been sitting ever sense.