Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Replacing competitive shooting

21 hours ago, DukeSoprano said:

I had shoulder surgery in March and built a couple WWII Model planes, joined a few modeling forums and OMG, I had no idea that hobby was so advanced!

A cockpit I did recently

Screenshot_20221206-170351_Instagram.jpg

11 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

That is amazing work...

10 hours ago, DukeSoprano said:

Wow! A lot has changed since I was 9 years old building models!

Thank you. That's 1 cubic inch if you look at the 1x1" grid of the mat it is sitting on.

Yeah a ton has changed and much is the same. I just did this kit that was a reissue from the 60s.

Screenshot_20221207-070417_Instagram.jpg

My life has gone in cycles with activities.
I take up a hobby for fun, end up getting into competitions with said hobbies, get serious,  hobby turns into work not fun, quit.. New hobby repeat.
did that with IDPA, then tourny bass fishing, then USPSA, then horses and endurance horse racing, was on edge of being 100 mile ready then I and my horse got hurt. Successfully rehabbed her and did another 50 but the fire was gone, would take me 2 more years to get her 100 ready again and stay inshape myself.

What I found, and how this applies to you. Is I got into ride management... Really enjoyed pulling off an event.  Doesnt seem like your health would revent you from getting into shooting management. Teaching new RO's , Match Director or secretary, Range Master at majors. Heck taking over from the infamous Troy one day.
You got alot of experience and knowledge in the games. 
Like the old saying those who do, do, those who cant , teach,,,,  Historically thats where the best teachers come from,, the former doers.

my other hobbies include woodworking (by hand and CNC machine), laser engraving/cutting, and recently got a lathe. I know a lot of shooters here that also golf, but I find golf is much harder than shooting 😅.

Archery is a great hobby too, I did recurve for a bit, was happy to shoot in my backyard.

Gardening/small scale farming is quite rewarding, at least for me.

super bummer, i know doing uspsa, 2 gun etc is one of my favorite things.  generally that on the weekends and golf during the week.  and a little dirt and street riding here and there.

how about teaching some aspect of shooting (obviously and mentioned above already).  whether uspsa improvement, or training for carry permits or just general firearms training.  new shooter classes, classes for women etc.  match director etc.

fishing is enjoyable esp saltwater for the bigger ones.  i've caught some big stuff just off the outer banks' piers in NC.  almost like uspsa matches, lotsa sitting around with a couple minutes here and there of pure excitement.

in any event i hope you can replace uspsa etc with something equally enjoying and satisfying!

Don't read this if you are wanting something upbeat...

If this is progressive, perhaps it would be good to start some hobbies than can continue well into the future.  No use starting something new that can just barely be done now, only to lose another closely held thing in the future. When my dad was diagnosed with Parkinson's, he started a lot of hobbies that he never was able to get off the ground of continue. 

Generally speaking, I think a lot of people keep themselves super busy all the time as a subconscious way to distract from bigger more important things.  I could be wrong, but it may be that your real opportunity here is a chance to focus directly on things of intrinsic value and to look at some things you've been too busy to consider or contemplate.  Big stuff like mortality, the meaning of life, God, family relationships.  You know, the stuff we all need to sort out but will always get to "one day".  

6 hours ago, obsessiveshooter said:

Don't read this if you are wanting something upbeat...

If this is progressive, perhaps it would be good to start some hobbies than can continue well into the future.  No use starting something new that can just barely be done now, only to lose another closely held thing in the future. When my dad was diagnosed with Parkinson's, he started a lot of hobbies that he never was able to get off the ground of continue. 

Generally speaking, I think a lot of people keep themselves super busy all the time as a subconscious way to distract from bigger more important things.  I could be wrong, but it may be that your real opportunity here is a chance to focus directly on things of intrinsic value and to look at some things you've been too busy to consider or contemplate.  Big stuff like mortality, the meaning of life, God, family relationships.  You know, the stuff we all need to sort out but will always get to "one day".  

People here won't like this, but I feel that guns, shooting and sports are lower case v value. There are things that are upper case V Value, like you mentioned.

A hobby should fill time, not take it.

I go to a super fancy neurologist I've been waiting months to see tomorrow. I'll know what to move on from and better expectations after that.

The fancy neurologist had no good news for me. Nor the other consulting doctor. So for now I live with my symptoms, get a different job and continue vision therapy. Thank you all for listening and the well wishes.

Good luck to you! Another hobby I invested in was a good metal detector. There are great forums and all the members seem more than willing to help newbies. They even have meets and group hunts.

Of course my wife and I went to a warehouse the company I work for owns, it use to be a school with a 1/4 walking track, I had high hopes but one of the previous businesses that owned it was a machine shop and the ground was full of screws!

27 minutes ago, konkapot said:

A "one time" idea might be too write. 

You're articulate and appear to be well educated. There are lots of shooting books out there but not a lot of Good Ones. 

That is what my daughter advised me to do, but she's written 3 books herself so is biased haha. 

Rowdyb, stay involved with the sport.  I've followed your remarks and commentary in various posts, and you have a great deal to offer.  As mentor, commenter, analyst, you have a wealth of knowledge and experience where you could do video analysis of shooters, facetime/zoom discussions, and so much more.  Truly, you are an amazing resource to the people here.

At 69, now recovering from significant rotator cuff surgery (shoulder was a mess, on the verge of replacement according to the surgeon) I ponder my future in the sport after 22 years.  Not at your level, but I am a damn good CRO and could move into doing more of that than shooting, but we'll see what recovery brings.

Whether its in this venue or another, you have to much to offer to not be thinking the way you are.  I applaud your for that.

Bummer.  Very sorry to hear about your struggles, Rowdy. 

Thinking the book idea could be good.  A different way to help shooters that could benefit many.  

For participation, perhaps delve more into precision rifle events and archery.  

• 2 weeks later...