Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 S&W 1911 for Single Stack

Mondayshooter40

I think the two options for 40 1911's are BUL armory or get on the waiting list at CZ custom.

I used to shoot limited and wound up getting a 40 to run back then. I recently bought a BUL so I'd have a back up.

45's are way easier to get, way less likely to have problems. If you don't have a really compelling reason to use 40, I'd get a 45.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/5/2022 at 11:09 AM, Boomstick303 said:

This is correct.

This is to try and create competitive equity between Minor and Major in SS.  Everyone shoots major, unless there is a crazy match where having 10 rounds would make a huge difference which to my understanding is very rare.  I have heard of some that have both 9mm and 40 to have the ability to shoot Minor or Major for any given match.  

Everybody doesn't shoot major.  Even at the nationals there will be people shooting minor.  I shot SS major for a long time and switched to a 9mm about 7-8 years ago and haven't shot my major gun at all since then.  Don't buy into that crap at all.

.40 minor would not be competitive because you won't get 10 rounds, so for the purposes of this thread, we might as well assume that the person is going to shoot major PF.

On 12/5/2022 at 3:08 PM, Boomstick303 said:

Yes.  Keep in mind you cannot switch back and forth during a match.  You have to declare before the match starts.  If you declared Major and then ran a stage with 9-10 the magazine you would be switched to minor for the entire match.  

This is 100% not true. You'll get bumped to open. Any issues with your gear gets you bumped to open, not to another division in which it's legal.

In terms of 40 SS, it's what I started with so that I could use the same ammo for both it and limited. I have a Trojan that works awesome and will eat any ammo I put in it. However, there's not much left that's stock about it. It's had a lot of work done. I also run it with 10mm Tripp mags, which are the ONLY SS mags to buy, IMO. It definitely runs better with 8+1 than 10+1, even with the special followers. Overall, the special followers that allow you to load to 10+1 don't run as well as the standard ones. Long loaded ammo also tends to be better. It's also easier to reload faster with a magwell, because you don't have to push as hard to get it to seat.

I recently bought a 45 just because I prefer the recoil impulse. More of a push than a snap. Some people prefer the other and feel the sights return faster with 40. That depends on your preference. It's also classic, and, even if it's not always a competition gun, it's not a caliber that's going to die.

Which... is why I'd hesitate right now to buy a 40 gun. There's more and more talk of eliminating major power factor in competition. There's also, as you're noticing, fewer guns manufactured in 40 as advances in 9mm have given it enough "stopping power" to make it better for carrying while being easier and cheaper to shoot. Brass, etc. is going to get harder to find. I question if it's worth it? 

On 1/3/2023 at 10:56 AM, alien_pickles said:

This is 100% not true. You'll get bumped to open. Any issues with your gear gets you bumped to open, not to another division in which it's legal.

I've asked several NROI RMs and they all say "minor for the rest of the match", unless it's an obvious cheating situation.

Shooting 10 rounds doesn't break any Single Stack division rules, it just means major doesn't apply anymore; about the same as if you declare Major in Limited and chrono 150PF or showed up with a 9mm.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2022 at 11:30 PM, Mondayshooter40 said:

New to this forum. Take it easy on me.

I shoot Limited in USPSA and I also want to shoot single stack. I would like to not add another cartridge to my reloading system and shoot 40 S&W in both Limited and Single Stack. However, im having trouble finding a 1911 in .40

I see lots of people talking about their DW's , Springfields, Sigs, older STI's, and so on. However, I can't find anywhere to buy one. Are these all custom shop guns? The only one I can find via online searching is BUL and Rock Island, and I really don't want a rock island. Thanks for the help in advance.

New factory guns are mostly unobtanium or at best getting scarce in .40. 

If you can find one, a Springfield Ronin 10mm is an easy conversion to .40. Rem R1's are still available, then RIA is also  bucking the 9mm trend and still making .40's and supers. 

I much prefer the .40 over most anything else.   

On 1/8/2023 at 8:13 AM, shred said:

I've asked several NROI RMs and they all say "minor for the rest of the match", unless it's an obvious cheating situation.

So the Stages shot with Major would still be scored as Major?  How is it accomplished to score Minor and Major for the same person in one match?

3 hours ago, gnappi said:

New factory guns are mostly unobtanium or at best getting scarce in .40. 

If you can find one, a Springfield Ronin 10mm is an easy conversion to .40. Rem R1's are still available, then RIA is also  bucking the 9mm trend and still making .40's and supers. 

I much prefer the .40 over most anything else.   

@Mondayshooter40 the Dan Wesson SSC .40s are made specifically for CZ Custom and they have them in stock currently. https://czcustom.com/dw-ss-custom-cal-40-s-w.html

I have one sitting in WA pistol purchase waiting period purgatory at the moment. Figured I'd get one while they are still available. 

I rarely buy or do not but for a cosmetic reason but THAT "billboard" is just over the top unnecessary and I'd not buy one on that alone. 

Egads, that's worse than those metal dealer ad plates they stick on the back of a new car 🙂

On 1/20/2023 at 12:30 PM, regor said:

@Mondayshooter40 the Dan Wesson SSC .40s are made specifically for CZ Custom and they have them in stock currently. https://czcustom.com/dw-ss-custom-cal-40-s-w.html

I have one sitting in WA pistol purchase waiting period purgatory at the moment. Figured I'd get one while they are still available. 

I have one of those. It runs without any issue with my Limited ammo (1.185OAL). I use Tripp's 10mm mags. Thinking about getting another one. I am not really a SS guy but I am having a lot of fun with it off season.   

• 2 weeks later...

If you are patient, there are .40 single stacks out there.  It took me a year, but I finally found the .40 STI Trojan 5.0 I was hunting.  It was hardly used and came with with three extra magazines.  The price was reasonable as well at $1150, including sales tax and FFL fees.

Rather than the auction sites, I haunt guns.com and their ilk.  Lots of overpriced guns (e.g., Trojan 5.0 in .45 with an asking price of $2300) but some deals to be had.