Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 S&W 1911 for Single Stack

Mondayshooter40

New to this forum. Take it easy on me.

I shoot Limited in USPSA and I also want to shoot single stack. I would like to not add another cartridge to my reloading system and shoot 40 S&W in both Limited and Single Stack. However, im having trouble finding a 1911 in .40

I see lots of people talking about their DW's , Springfields, Sigs, older STI's, and so on. However, I can't find anywhere to buy one. Are these all custom shop guns? The only one I can find via online searching is BUL and Rock Island, and I really don't want a rock island. Thanks for the help in advance.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Hammerman said:

Go to czcustom.com and check out the dan wesson single stack 40 gun.  That's what I would get.

I checked on that gun from hem several months ago when I was looking for a .40 SS. It is not available and cannot be ordered is the response I got. I missed one on the forum here, from what I found unless you build one not any other options I found.

ok guys, clear this up for me, because now im confused.

The USPSA rules state that if you are shooting MAJOR PF in Single stack, you can only have 8 rounds in any magazine. Isnt the partial advantage to .40 in SS additional capacity of 9 or 10 in the mag? BUT according to this, its not cartridge specific. If my 40 makes major PF, i cant fill the mag to 10? Im lost.

Maximum ammunition capacity                                  Yes, maximum rounds loaded in any magazine after the start signal.

•Major Power Factor - 8 rounds

•Minor Power Factor - 10 rounds

26 minutes ago, Mondayshooter40 said:

Maximum ammunition capacity                                  Yes, maximum rounds loaded in any magazine after the start signal.

This is correct.

This is to try and create competitive equity between Minor and Major in SS.  Everyone shoots major, unless there is a crazy match where having 10 rounds would make a huge difference which to my understanding is very rare.  I have heard of some that have both 9mm and 40 to have the ability to shoot Minor or Major for any given match.  

It's not about what you ammo makes but what you declare, if you declare minor you can use 10 rounds.

I don't see why you would not load them to minor(ish) if you decide to shoot minor but OK.

If you want to be lazy use a 155 grain bullet instead of a 180 without changing powder drop for instance.

4 minutes ago, xrayfk05 said:

It's not about what you ammo makes but what you declare, if you declare minor you can use 10 rounds.

Sorry, I should have mentioned this.  I am sure some do this so they can run the same platform in Minor or Major.  

AHHHHHHHH. i see.

I didn't think about it in the opposite direction. You can declare minor, just to add magazine capacity. Even though your ammunition may still be shooting major PF. OF course you will be scored as minor, the thought process behind this would be a large/larger number of stages being more set up in a fashion that tilts the advantage of someone with minor PF capacity, or possibly targets that are "easier" to double tap the A zone. Or maybe just stage designs that are more logistical to reload running 10rds VS 8 rds.

Now am i thinking about this correctly?

Yes.  Keep in mind you cannot switch back and forth during a match.  You have to declare before the match starts.  If you declared Major and then ran a stage with 9-10 the magazine you would be switched to minor for the entire match.  

Edited by Boomstick303

If you can get your hands on a Rock Island, add sights, magwell and trigger job.  I used to shoot Limited and switched to single stack.  Made M class with a Rock Island shooting minor 9mm.  Eventually got a Dan Wesson PM9 and then had one built from the floor up on a Caspian frame.  You are eventually gonna want to get a gun built, use the Rock Island for a backup gun.  Mine runs pretty dang good.  It is not a Dan Wesson or a handbuilt gun but I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a match with it.  I just switched over to .40 major in single stack and started with an old Kimber series one Stainless Gold Match in .40.  They don't offer them anymore but it is a great gun if you can find one.  I just had a JEM frame and slide and Kart barrel put together to shoot .40 and that is what I am shooting now.  You are gonna like a .40 in a single stack gun.  Good luck on your search for one.  The 10mm rebarrel idea is a good one too!  

There are good options out there but it takes patience.  I picked up a Sig in 40 and sent it to a very reputable smith who builds 2011/1911’s.  In those capable hands he made it  like a full custom build.  I run that in major.  Did the same with a Rock Island in 9mm and will be running it in minor this season.

I originally chose .40 for the major/minor option, but found I didn’t like the mag changes with 10 rds in a 10mm/40 mag (and we do a lot of mag changes!).  Great for major, not so much for minor, at least for me.  Thus, I added a 9mm single stack to the mix.

Thank you for the input guys. I always like to hear people's story of where they started and the different directions they go, whether they line up with my intensions or not.

I'm new to the 1911. From what i understand from fellow shooters, it seems like the pistols are only as good as the person tuning it. Being the nature of single stack, a 4k$+ gun that is not tuned well and prone to stoppages, will end up getting beat by the lesser cost guns that have been tuned and keep chugging along (Shooters capabilities being equal). 

I shoot a CZ TSO in limited and i am floored at their ability to make that gun compete out of the box. It's no high end 2011, but at my skill set, its not holding me back. I Guess what im getting at is i would like to buy something for Single Stack on that level of performance out of the box.

I really thing im gonna go the DW road. I feel like its going to be a great starting point and a great competitor for a while and i wont feel like im being "out gunned". Also,  when i bring the gun to my gunsmith, hes not gonna cuss me for bringing him a POS and me asking him to make it race.

22 hours ago, Mondayshooter40 said:

ok guys, clear this up for me, because now im confused.

The USPSA rules state that if you are shooting MAJOR PF in Single stack, you can only have 8 rounds in any magazine. Isnt the partial advantage to .40 in SS additional capacity of 9 or 10 in the mag? BUT according to this, its not cartridge specific. If my 40 makes major PF, i cant fill the mag to 10? Im lost.

Dont think 10 +1 has been accomplished 100% by too many if any people in 40 with a flush mag. . 9 +1 works well. Made a good IDPA gun under older rule sets.
Basically if you are running a 40 in USPSA SS, need to load to major and shoot major.
Rules wernt set up to give 40 an advantage. They were set up to NOT give it an advantage over a 45 ACP SS 1911. As that was the primary point of the division.  
A protected place for 1911 45 ACP's to play. 

Okay, here's my two cents as a long time single stack shooter LOL:

Skip the 40. Decide if you want to shoot major or minor, and then buy a 45 or a 9 mil. You can find a solid 45 or 9 mm gun relatively easily and cost-effectively, then spend the difference or less in buying some dies and such for that caliber. 

You have the absolutely least amount of issues with the gun working if you shoot a 45 with a round nose bullet, it's almost like the gun was made for it LOL

9 mil also seems to work pretty good. And is one of the funnest rounds to shoot ever in a 1911

40 seems like the one that has the absolute most issues that people use. Not exactly sure why, but that is what appears to be the case. You'll see people fidget with 40 guns way more than anything else it seems. I assume because less people shoot 40 and all those kinks haven't been worked out in the production line guns

Good luck