Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 & Trijicon SRO....The view, does the front sight interfere?

rbx

8 minutes ago, rbx said:

If you use this combo, is the front sight visible through the SRO?

Have you removed your front sight?

Yes it's visible but shooting target focused with a red dot i dont even notice the front sight. If it really bothers you, try a black fiber optic

I don't think there's a plug available for the front sight to hold the barrel bushing in place if you remove the front sight 

Yes, from what I read there is no plug to replace the front sight and several people have said that they run their gun without a front sight and just the roll pin?  I may just cut it down with a Dremel?

I had a front sight fly off. I didn’t replace it. Ultimately I realized that it flew off because the front lip of the slide cracked slightly: which became obvious when the bushing walked out under fire, despite the roll pin being in place. I’ve seen several other S2s crack at that lip, and I suspect but can’t prove that aftermarket bushings contribute.

On that slide I had a small channel etched, and then welded the slide back together, and the bushing welded in place. I have zero confidence it will hold, so it’s mostly a dryfire gun now.

Typically my fiber flies out, and not replacing it is preferable to me: in bright sunlight the bloom of the fiber can distract my eye from the target. 99% of the time I do not notice that the front sight is there, with or without fiber.

It’s only really visible when you are thinking about it and during dry fire. On the clock I’ve never had a problem on any of my CZ or A01 pistols. I sent my SP01 off to CGW and they lopped off the top of the front sight and kept it flush and it was really clean. Since I only use these guns for games I don’t care about a front sight.

WOW, Quack. That is Great.  TY so much and........................I just finished mounting mine and so far I have removed the red fiber optic.  I may leave it that way or grind it down.  I iwll have to see after I try it.  Without the fiber, it is much less noticeable, but still in view

I have 2 S2 slides with SRO's. One with a dovetail mount and one cut by CGW for a direct mount. I think they both have the front optics in place. I never notice it though. If you notice that, you're concentrating on the wrong things, IMO. 

The front sight will initially help you transition from Irons. But eventually it becomes a distraction and impedes visibility. Just remove it and replace the roll pin as per above suggestions.. 

1 hour ago, ringram said:

The front sight will initially help you transition from Irons. But eventually it becomes a distraction and impedes visibility. Just remove it and replace the roll pin as per above suggestions.. 

I did this last night rather than grind the blade down, just much easier. Roll pin is perfect fix. 

Hey OPENB,

What exactly did you do last night?  Did you remove the front sight and roll pin and put the pin back?  Was it hard to remove.  Any help is appreciated as I am not to mechanically inclined...LOL

3 hours ago, rbx said:

Was it hard to remove.  Any help is appreciated

rbx

If you don't have a roll pin punch of the appropriate size and ability to use it, then just take the gun to you local smith and have them remove the pin, tap off the sight and then reinstall the pin. It's not hard. If you want to fill the slot where the sight was then, as previously stated, cut it off and file it smooth. Personally I would not do that with the sight on the gun because the chances of making additional marks is pretty high.

I just removed the fiber and let the front post. Never see it while shooting or dry fire.

BTW if you're not mechanically inclined then you had better find someone locally who can fix your gun when it breaks, because it will. Common failure include trigger return spring, which is really fun to replace.

Thanks for the input HesedTech   LOL.... I do have a local gunsmith for issues.  Break?  CZ's break?  I have been using a Kimber 1911 .45 for 10 plus years and it has never broken.

I hope the CZ is just as good or better!

1 hour ago, rbx said:

Thanks for the input HesedTech   LOL.... I do have a local gunsmith for issues.  Break?  CZ's break?  I have been using a Kimber 1911 .45 for 10 plus years and it has never broken.

I hope the CZ is just as good or better!

Two most common breakages are trigger return spring and the slide lock.  Just keep some spares.  CZ's are actually quite easy to work on once you get used to it, and also highly recommend the Cajun Gun Works replacement floating trigger pin.  Just be careful not to drop or lose small parts.

Edited by MoRivera

2 hours ago, rbx said:

I have been using a Kimber 1911 .45 for 10 plus years and it has never broken.

If you don’t shoot much none of the guns will break, however many USPSA people shoots literally 50k a year not to mention the many dry fire trigger pulls.  I have broken two trigger return springs and worn out at least three hammer springs. For the CZ carry extra parts as other mentioned. Oh and Kimber 1911s do break, you just don’t shoot it enough!  😬

On 3/16/2022 at 3:43 AM, Hansb57 said:

Probably because english is not my first language but "yank, "smack" and "distort" always gave me more problems then they solved. 

yeah I just yank (remove) the front sight and put the roll pin back in, I then smack (hit it lightly with a hammer) the roll pin where the sight was, to distort (slightly alter the shape) it a bit so it can't easily move

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2022 at 1:35 AM, HI5-O said:

I just blacked out the red fiber optic. The black front sight is not noticeable. 

That’s what I did too. I could barely see the fiber before and now I don’t notice it at all after the sharpie.