Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC Competition Reloading

Just finished my 9mm competition PCC with 5.5" shrouded to 16" barrel, and short stroke JP Silent capture spring. What i am looking for is some pointers on ammo to use, what to reload with and anyone's experience to keep that dot steady for a follow up shot. Please share your opinion

Thanks in advance!

There are several other variables to consider besides load. They all work together to get the desired result. It can be mind boggling at times too. But,FWIW, my load is a 124 fmj rn bullet from RMR with 4.2 gr WSF at 1.120. My buffer has 4 steel and 1 tungston short stroke scs. All in a JP gmr15 with 14.5 barrel and comp.

Experiment with different loads. We shoot 3-PCCs and l have tried several different loads from 115-124-&147 and all of us like the 115gr RN plated Everglades with 3.7grs Titegroup. We like the faster cycling and dot does not move. I don't worry about recoil as long as the dot movement is steady.

gerritm

The first thing to decide is what you are going to tune for.  If for USPSA you have to make PF.  If you decide on 130PF, tune your buffer as best you can for that load.  Then experiment with placement on your shoulder, how hard you grip, etc., until you find a spot/grip that snake eyes your double taps.

You can use the same load for SCSA.  If you want a mouse fart load for steel you will likely get some dot movement.  That should not be a problem, because the dot will long since have settled while transitioning to the next target.

before you worry about keeping the gun flat shooting, find a load that runs in your gun 100%

we’ve turned a century old proven, simple and reliable blowback technology into something that is no longer that simple, no longer proven and not reliable in the quest for flat shooting gun.

the idea behind the pistol length PCC barrel is to use the same ammo you shoot in production or factory ammo and start there as a baseline, once you find a powder charge that reliably cycles in the gun, start playing with bullet weights to get you PF around 130-135

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The biggest benefit to using the short barrel is being able to use the same load for pistol and PCC.   I would go with a relatively fast powder and load a 115 and 147 at 130PF; see which dot tracking and speed you like better.  The 115s are 'faster' but you may like a heavier bullet, softer feel.  Those are your brackets - you can try 124s and 135s to fine tune it.  Lastly, one huge benefit to PCCs are they are accurate with pretty much anything so you can save money and buy whatever is cheapest.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2022 at 11:26 AM, mr_zhek said:

Just finished my 9mm competition PCC with 5.5" shrouded to 16" barrel, and short stroke JP Silent capture spring.

Why use a 5 " barrel, shrouded to 16" then worry about making PF. Since it has to be 16" over all anyway, wouldn't it make it much easier to make PF? With a 16" barrel to start with?

8 hours ago, usmc1974 said:

Why use a 5 " barrel, shrouded to 16" then worry about making PF. Since it has to be 16" over all anyway, wouldn't it make it much easier to make PF? With a 16" barrel to start with?

Your minor pcc load and pistol loads are the same or similar is one big thing. 

1 hour ago, Nathanb said:

Your minor pcc load and pistol loads are the same or similar is one big thing. 

Thanks, I shoot a glock 19 with 4-inch barrel, and I can easily make minor, so I am not going to worry about it in my pcc gun (JP GMR) and I use the same round for both. If this makes any sense.

Edited by usmc1974
Just now, usmc1974 said:

Thanks, I shoot a glock 19 with 4-inch barrel, and I can easily make minor, so I am not going to worry about it in my pcc gun and I use the same round for both. If this makes any sense.

If reloading your own ammo or using a subsonic ammo I would still chrono the PCC.  If one were to use a FMJ or JHP bullet with slower velocities there I would think there could be a possibility of the powder completely burning before the bullet left the muzzle, to where drag of the bullet in the barrel could affect velocities.  Especially if one were using a temperature sensitive powder close the bottom of the minor PF at 125.  If you are around 130-135 in the Glock, most likely would not be an issue at all in the PCC.

Maybe something to keep in mind.

6 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

If reloading your own ammo or using a subsonic ammo I would still chrono the PCC.  If one were to use a FMJ or JHP bullet with slower velocities there I would think there could be a possibility of the powder completely burning before the bullet left the muzzle, to where drag of the bullet in the barrel could affect velocities.  Especially if one were using a temperature sensitive powder close the bottom of the minor PF at 125.  If you are around 130-135 in the Glock, most likely would not be an issue at all in the PCC.

Maybe something to keep in mind.

how do you figure? if it makes 125 in my 4" gun, it sure is going to make 125 in my 14" gun. Or am I missing something? You could be right if I loaded powder puff rounds, but I do not.

Edited by usmc1974
2 hours ago, usmc1974 said:

how do you figure? if it makes 125 in my 4" gun, it sure is going to make 125 in my 14" gun. Or am I missing something? You could be right if I loaded powder puff rounds, but I do not.

You are right, it should make PF but sometimes the strangest things happen. I would double check just to make sure. My first PCC load was 130PF in my hand gun and 124.9 in my first PCC; a Sig. Between the barrel tightness and gas port being open too much it drove me crazy. I shoot a GMR-15 so no problems there. Just check and be sure.

Edited by BiggMike

I tried a mix of bullet weights and powder burn rates to see what my one PCC liked.  Turned out it liked light bullets with slow powder; anything else had terrible accuracy.  *In my gun.*  Not suggesting any kind of universal truth here.

Also, one PCC will run hollow points and the other just won't.  Something else you might want to try.

Best to try different loads and see what works.

2 hours ago, usmc1974 said:

if it makes 125 in my 4" gun, it sure is going to make 125 in my 14" gun

Not always the case.  That is why they make Chronos.  You may be fine, it may not be an issue but it does not hurt to verify.  You may be fine when the temperature outdoors is 65 F.  If your powder is reverse temp sensitive and you shoot on a day that is 95F, your powder may not have enough umph to make PF.  If your PF is truly 125 I would do more testing in various conditions.  

Saw a video by Classic Firearms shooting the same loads 9mm in barrels 4.5 to 16 inches....the end result was 7.5 inch barrels gave the best velocity with pistol powders,,,,burning rate....vr barrel lenth and friction.

• 1 month later...
On 1/11/2022 at 12:26 PM, mr_zhek said:

Just finished my 9mm competition PCC with 5.5" shrouded to 16" barrel, and short stroke JP Silent capture spring. What i am looking for is some pointers on ammo to use, what to reload with and anyone's experience to keep that dot steady for a follow up shot. Please share your opinion

Thanks in advance!

I run that same setup.   What weights are you running on SCS ?    For my light steel challenge loads, I made (4) aluminum spacers for the SCS.   Are you running tungsten, steel, or what mix ? 

• 3 weeks later...

I use 4.0 grains of Titegroup with a Precision Delta 124 grain jacketed bullet in both PCC and pistol.  I get about 100 FPS more out of the 16 inch carbine barrel. But of course different barrels can give different results. 

• 1 month later...

I am 2-3 weeks out on receiving my JP-5 from SC.  Looking for something to start loading’s for JP-5. It has a huge comp on it have not seen any loads working the comp. Normally I shoot open gun 4 1/8” barrel with two popper holes skued at 8.5 degrees back toward shooter with 8.4 grains of  3N38 and small rife primers  open pistol  love it.  Why nobody working the comp

love it

5 minutes ago, DRed said:

I am 2-3 weeks out on receiving my JP-5 from SC.  Looking for something to start loading’s for JP-5. It has a huge comp on it have not seen any loads working the comp. Normally I shoot open gun 4 1/8” barrel with two popper holes skued at 8.5 degrees back toward shooter with 8.4 grains of  3N38 and small rife primers  open pistol  love it.  Why nobody working the comp

love it

It is an old Benny Cooly .223 comp that worked great on a gun that provided enough gas to work it.

Wrong design and dead weight on a 9mm PCC.

On 8/3/2022 at 5:24 PM, DRed said:

love it

Received my JP-5 last Thursday. I have tried several loads in it already. I settled on a PD 115gr jhp at 138 PF. The comp works. Muzzle does not rise and shoots flat. Much softer than my GMR15 with the same load. My Bayou bullet 147 at 140PF was even softer but don’t want to clean the comp after use.