Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wilson Combat Supergrade vs Atlas GW LE pistol

RangerTrace

So, I must confess that for the last 20 years or so, one of my bucket list items has been to own a Willson Combat Supergrade.  I've owned at least a half dozen of their pistols, but never could scrape together the $$ for a Supergrade.  With that said, I've also become a big fan of Atlas Gunworks.  The two Nyx pistols I have are amazing.  AGW is coming out with a dedicated LE pistol next month that will be very similar, but a tad lighter with a shorter, less aggressive grip texture.  

I've got a guy who collects ranger guns pestering me to buy my Nyx optics gun for stupid money.   I've not sold it yet, mainly because I don't want to or need to sell it.  But if he pays what I'm asking, I'm going to buy a Willson Combat Tactical Supergrade Compact or the new Atlas LE pistol.  Obviously, these will be for UC carry at work and not competitive shooting.

For any of you who own a supergrade, is it work the $$?  Both of these pistols are around $5K.  I doubt Atlas will charge me full price and WC give me a 22% discount.  So price will likely be around the same.

Thoughts?

For guns that cost north of $5k it would be a good investment to travel to the builders and get a chance to handle and shoot the gun before you make a decision. Make a trip out of it and get a tour of their facility as well. 

i know that isn’t an answer you were likely looking for but it makes sense when spending big money on a gun you will be carrying on a regular basis.

I respect both of those makers.  That being said, 5k+ for a 1911 seems an awful lot.  The first gun I build from scratch was a 1911 45.  I fit everything by hand to extremely close tolerances.  BTW, I will NEVER do that again.  Even though I paid for machining and slide lightening, I ended up with a super tight, super accurate 45 for a lot less than 5K.

If I were going to build another 1911 45 that I don't need, I'd start with a Warwick Tactical short block and go from there.  There is nothing in the world that justifies 5K for a 1911 except marketing and lust.

I have only handled one of those a friend has in the safe. I did not get to shoot it. Just rack the slide a few times and dry fire it a few times. I would buy the WC. And I've owned an Atlas Titan, so I know what I like about those guns as well. To  me the WC fits the "once in a life time gun buy" more than the other.

2 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

For guns that cost north of $5k it would be a good investment to travel to the builders and get a chance to handle and shoot the gun before you make a decision. Make a trip out of it and get a tour of their facility as well. 

i know that isn’t an answer you were likely looking for but it makes sense when spending big money on a gun you will be carrying on a regular basis.

That's a really good answer and a common practice for guys buying high-end trap/skeet guns. It probably nets out to less than what you'd lose if you bought the wrong gun, too. 

Although I don't own a $5k pistol (and probably never will), what I think, and this is only my opinion, once an item gets to a certain point, you are paying for the prestige and privilege of owning the item, not for any functionality of the item. Will a well made $5k pistol shoot any better than a well made $2k pistol? Probably not. Will you be more upset dropping that $5k pistol on the concrete than a $2k pistol? Probably.

That being said, everyone wants what they want, whether it is for the prestige, privilege, or just plain bucket list item. Which one will make your smile wider when you open the box and pick it up?

I haven’t seen or handled either, but I would say go with the Wilson Combat. You’ve always wanted it and I don’t think you’ll regret it. You might regret it if you go with the atlas and end up wishing that you had gone with the Wilson Combat. They are both great guns and there isn’t a wrong answer, I just think if it was me in that situation, I’d have a lower chance of regret going with what I’ve always wanted instead of what is new and shiny 

haven't played with atlas.  had a wilson tactical elite 1911 in 45 that was just an awesome gun.  fit, finish, accuracy, reliability, all perfect.  unfortunately not legal (other than open) in any of the various game divisions so i sold it.  but especially if you are going to actually carry/use the gun, i would "stop" at tactical elite and not spring the extra dough for the little bit extra looks of the supergrade.

I don't mean to rain on the parade here, but like most other big name builders, I've seen some pretty shoddy work from WC on some real high end stuff.  Not saying they don't build nice guns, etc.  Just that if you decide to go that route, be sure to check it over closely when you get it.  Friend of mine bought a supergrade years ago with 9x19 and 9x23 barrels.  One of the barrels had an overcut chamber, which should have never left the shop.  Sent it back for replacement and the barrel that came back looked like it was pulled from the scrap bin, with bottom lugs that looked like they were cut with a chainsaw file and other issues.  So, it went back again, and the third time they got it right.  Good news is, they stood behind it and fixed it.  Bad news is, you shouldn't have to deal with that on a custom gun, especially at that price point.  Also met BW in person years ago and he was not exactly a pleasant fellow.  Maybe he was just having a bad day.  But, probably not someone I'd choose to do business with.  Just my .02.

19 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

I don't know and want you to tell me!!

You are itching to buy the Wilson, so do it.  20 years on the bucket list is too long.  Buy it and enjoy it.  It's a special gun.  The Atlas, not as much.  I you are unlucky and get one like ltdmstr's friend, send it back.  For $5k+ you should get perfection.

BTW, I have a friend who had to send an Atlas gun back.  It happens, but rarely.

Edited by zzt

2 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

I don't mean to rain on the parade here, but like most other big name builders, I've seen some pretty shoddy work from WC on some real high end stuff.  Not saying they don't build nice guns, etc.  Just that if you decide to go that route, be sure to check it over closely when you get it.  Friend of mine bought a supergrade years ago with 9x19 and 9x23 barrels.  One of the barrels had an overcut chamber, which should have never left the shop.  Sent it back for replacement and the barrel that came back looked like it was pulled from the scrap bin, with bottom lugs that looked like they were cut with a chainsaw file and other issues.  So, it went back again, and the third time they got it right.  Good news is, they stood behind it and fixed it.  Bad news is, you shouldn't have to deal with that on a custom gun, especially at that price point.  Also met BW in person years ago and he was not exactly a pleasant fellow.  Maybe he was just having a bad day.  But, probably not someone I'd choose to do business with.  Just my .02.

I met Bill, Joyce and John May in my rookie ranger days when I put together a group pistol purchase for the Division.  They came to Texas for Joey Gordon's retirement party and I presented all of them with ranger belts/buckles as a thank you for the deal.  I've had 3 or 4 of their CQB level guns and I'm currently carrying a couple of their double stack Experiors for work and off duty.  I prefer the Experiors to the CQB line.  FWIW, I've had SV pistols with issues when I was shooting on their Team.  All brands  can have issues.  I've got 2 Atlas Nyx pistols that I absolutely love.  The grip is just too aggressive for how I carry at work these days.  I would probably be better served with the Atlas LE pistol.......but as I said, I've wanted a Supergrade for a long, long time!! 

30 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

I met Bill, Joyce and John May in my rookie ranger days when I put together a group pistol purchase for the Division.  They came to Texas for Joey Gordon's retirement party and I presented all of them with ranger belts/buckles as a thank you for the deal.  I've had 3 or 4 of their CQB level guns and I'm currently carrying a couple of their double stack Experiors for work and off duty.  I prefer the Experiors to the CQB line.  FWIW, I've had SV pistols with issues when I was shooting on their Team.  All brands  can have issues.  I've got 2 Atlas Nyx pistols that I absolutely love.  The grip is just too aggressive for how I carry at work these days.  I would probably be better served with the Atlas LE pistol.......but as I said, I've wanted a Supergrade for a long, long time!! 

No doubt.  I've seen examples of poor work from almost all of the big name, big dollar gun builders over the years.  And the list of exceptions is a pretty short one.  If you want a Wilson, you should get one.  Just be sure to go over it closely, and if it's not perfect, send it back until it is.

50 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

I met Bill, Joyce and John May in my rookie ranger days when I put together a group pistol purchase for the Division.  They came to Texas for Joey Gordon's retirement party and I presented all of them with ranger belts/buckles as a thank you for the deal.  I've had 3 or 4 of their CQB level guns and I'm currently carrying a couple of their double stack Experiors for work and off duty.  

In that case I would shamelessly follow Cha-Lee's recommendation and go visit Wilson Combat, if at all possible, and casually remind them about the Ranger belts, etc.... then say "Oh, by the way, I really like my Experiors and I'm really interested in picking up a Supergrade."  That connection will probably cement the deal.

Nolan

4 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

.......but as I said, I've wanted a Supergrade for a long, long time!!

You and me both.

I've said for years and still maintain that it's true -- $ for $, the best true value in a 1911 is a Les Baer Premier II. You can spend a lot more, and get not much more, in terms of performance. They satisfy the most important of the prerequisites -- they're reliable, and accurate. 

HOWEVER, there are Holy Grail Guns out there. And if this is one of yours. . .get it!! 

Some smart people have already said, inspect it closely on delivery. Don't hesitate to demand perfection. That should be a given at that price. 

For the record, I have an early Wilson Combat "Classic" model. Schweet pistol. Low S/N in the 62xx-range. I've always wanted a Supergrade, and if they're that much better than this gun, I want one even more. 

**True, no-she-ite storey...

I bought that WC from a good friend, Ed, who decided to join the monastic life. He became a monk living an austere life in England. He was a smart, active local shooter and match director who made a sizeable change in his path and sold that blaster to me for a song. Hell, I watched him give away a good measure of guns and gear at matches while he was tidying up his affairs. Very generous and knew where wanted his guns to go, and wanted to know that they got used.

4 hours ago, ima45dv8 said:

You and me both.

I've said for years and still maintain that it's true -- $ for $, the best true value in a 1911 is a Les Baer Premier II. You can spend a lot more, and get not much more, in terms of performance. They satisfy the most important of the prerequisites -- they're reliable, and accurate. 

HOWEVER, there are Holy Grail Guns out there. And if this is one of yours. . .get it!! 

Some smart people have already said, inspect it closely on delivery. Don't hesitate to demand perfection. That should be a given at that price. 

For the record, I have an early Wilson Combat "Classic" model. Schweet pistol. Low S/N in the 62xx-range. I've always wanted a Supergrade, and if they're that much better than this gun, I want one even more. 

**True, no-she-ite storey...

I bought that WC from a good friend, Ed, who decided to join the monastic life. He became a monk living an austere life in England. He was a smart, active local shooter and match director who made a sizeable change in his path and sold that blaster to me for a song. Hell, I watched him give away a good measure of guns and gear at matches while he was tidying up his affairs. Very generous and knew where wanted his guns to go, and wanted to know that they got used.

I've had 3 Baers, including a Premier II that I had 100% coverage engraved and ivory grips.  I traded it to Benny Hill for an open gun when I got into USPSA.  It was super accurate.  I tried to buy it back recently, but one of the Bass brother bought it from him......I'd need a bigger house if I still owned all the guns I've traded and sold over the years.

Just my .02 cents worth, if it's been on your list for 20 years, reward yourself. If you don't get the WC, it will still be on your list. My wife wanted a WC and would settle for nothing less and received a WC CQB Elite. She couldn't be happier, and I'm envious. In addition, it's fun for me to spend someone else's money for a change.