Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP-5 reviews/input

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/23/2023 at 2:43 AM, Blackstone45 said:

Magpul make two types of their D50 drum mag, one shorter/stubbier version for PCC, and a longer one for handgun.

Does anyone know if the PCC drum mag will fit the JP-5 with the TF fattie magwell?

Nope, you will need to take the magwell off to even lock it in.

On 11/23/2023 at 1:43 AM, Blackstone45 said:

Magpul make two types of their D50 drum mag, one shorter/stubbier version for PCC, and a longer one for handgun.

Does anyone know if the PCC drum mag will fit the JP-5 with the TF fattie magwell?

I was told by Max that the longer version will work with a mag well if you don't mind it sticking out a bit. That's what the longer 30+ big sticks do anyway. 

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Blackstone45 said:

So...did anyone here actually follow the JP PCC barrel break-in process?

If the barrel break-in process is "shoot the $^@% out of it" then yes.

I'm in the camp that says that for non-precision (sub-moa) barrels manufacturers provide break-in instructions because customers want break-in instructions.

6 hours ago, Blackstone45 said:

I asked a JP rep when I got my GMR-15 and he told me you didn't need to break in PCC barrels.

7 hours ago, Blackstone45 said:

I probably have over 6 JP barreled / rebarreled rifles now. I've done the break in process once on the first rifle I bought from them. Since? na

How does the jp trigger compare to a sd3g?

i have the modular set and the pull feels a little heavy to me at 3.5lbs. The reset isnt bad, though.

is the sd3g lighter? I always see it being recommended as the go to.

I've ran both and actually like the a factory JP with a straight blade the best.  The pull weight was close to the same, but I liked the JP reset better.  I think it's personal preference.  

Too bad the Hiperfire Eclipse is a no go!

The SD3G is much better than the standard EZ trigger on the off-the-shelf models. I was pleasantly surprised by the JP Fire Control Group setup I got in one of my JP5s, but I swapped it with the SD3G so all my JP5s have consistent triggers.

After running the SD3G for the last shooting season in my JP5 it has been amazing.  It has been the first and only Geissele trigger.  I am not known for my splits, but numerous times last season people commented on how fast my splits have been.  I did not have any huge expectations for the SD3G, as I understood it was a rock solid trigger, but the speed of the trigger has been so impressive, I am thinking about ditching all of my Trigger Tech Triggers in my ARs and switching to the SD3G.  I used to think I was not a guy that required trigger reset force to effectively get decent splits, but the SD3G has me rethinking that.  

The main reason would be Trigger reliability, and running the same trigger in all of my rifle platforms.  

On 1/14/2024 at 12:39 AM, Boomstick303 said:

After running the SD3G for the last shooting season in my JP5 it has been amazing.  It has been the first and only Geissele trigger.  I am not known for my splits, but numerous times last season people commented on how fast my splits have been.  I did not have any huge expectations for the SD3G, as I understood it was a rock solid trigger, but the speed of the trigger has been so impressive, I am thinking about ditching all of my Trigger Tech Triggers in my ARs and switching to the SD3G.  I used to think I was not a guy that required trigger reset force to effectively get decent splits, but the SD3G has me rethinking that.  

The main reason would be Trigger reliability, and running the same trigger in all of my rifle platforms.  

So I have the JP flat trigger with the competition spring. That should put the pull weight at 3-3.5lb

The Sd3g is supposed to be 3.5lb 

With that in mind, what is it that the Sd3g does better in your experience? 

Well after 2 years of waiting, I finally got my hands on my JP and took it to the range. 

WOW

I know some people described it like shooting a 22, and while I was skeptical, I can see what they mean. While the felt recoil is certainly more than a 22, the dot movement was minimal and similar to when I shoot my 22 AR-15. Have a 70 degree locker in, shooting 115gr blazer out of an 8" barrel. Brass is coming out about 4 feet so I think I might have a small amount of operating room to play with when the SCS spring set arrives.

I'm noticing the dot does not jump up, but jumps right, so I'll need to figure out what's causing that, and re-watch Max's carbine mastery videos on the supercetca channel.

1 hour ago, Blackstone45 said:

Well after 2 years of waiting, I finally got my hands on my JP and took it to the range. 

WOW

I know some people described it like shooting a 22, and while I was skeptical, I can see what they mean. While the felt recoil is certainly more than a 22, the dot movement was minimal and similar to when I shoot my 22 AR-15. Have a 70 degree locker in, shooting 115gr blazer out of an 8" barrel. Brass is coming out about 4 feet so I think I might have a small amount of operating room to play with when the SCS spring set arrives.

I'm noticing the dot does not jump up, but jumps right, so I'll need to figure out what's causing that, and re-watch Max's carbine mastery videos on the supercetca channel.

Nice! Mine is arriving next week, just over 14 weeks.