Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP-5 reviews/input

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question regarding replacing the JP5 stock trigger (that came with the competition model) with Geissele SD3G trigger...  

1, Does the SD3G trigger work with the JP5?  I read on another post that someone is having issues with getting the trigger to work on the JP5.  

2, If the trigger works, do I use the pins from the JP5?  Or would I need to get other pins? 

3, If the trigger works, do I need to replace the safety?  Heard there is a notch (or bump) on the JP5 saftey that restrict the function of the saftey with replacement triggers.

Appreciate any input and guidance!

36 minutes ago, rayw1128 said:

Question regarding replacing the JP5 stock trigger (that came with the competition model) with Geissele SD3G trigger...  

1, Does the SD3G trigger work with the JP5?  I read on another post that someone is having issues with getting the trigger to work on the JP5.  

2, If the trigger works, do I use the pins from the JP5?  Or would I need to get other pins? 

3, If the trigger works, do I need to replace the safety?  Heard there is a notch (or bump) on the JP5 saftey that restrict the function of the saftey with replacement triggers.

Max has said in this thread that the SD3G worked flawlessly for him. I don't know what trigger he currently runs

Just shot the new to me JP5 for the first time today. 

Notice a strange powder residue pattern on the spent brass.  I was shooting factory Blazer brass (115 grain) and handloads (4.3 gr of sport pistol pushing 124 grain HP).   Residue same for both ammo.

Does this look normal for brass from JP5?

Edited by rayw1128
Just now, rayw1128 said:

Notice a strange powder residue pattern on the spent brass.  I was shooting factory Blazer brass (115 grain) and handloads (4.3 gr of sport pistol pushing 124 grain HP).   Residue same for both ammo.

No image, but I bet you are seeing the lines of the MP5 style fluted chamber in the JP5. Totally normal.

On 10/7/2023 at 3:20 PM, rayw1128 said:

Barrel: JP Supermatch™ air-gauged, button-rifled, cryogenically treated barrel w/ fluted chamber

Totally normal. Enjoy the new rifle! 

Just installed the SD3G yesterday, soldering iron on JP trigger pin- and safety- screws made disassembly effortless, so thanks for that. Went with the black trigger spring (lighter trigger pull weight).

Some observations compared to the stock JP trigger. The SD3G has more pretravel, less perceived pull weight at the break, significantly more positive reset force and more hammer spring force. This is compared to a 10k+ rounds stock trigger, so I guess the old hammer spring might be worn (zero issues with misfires with old trigger). Will practice a few months with it before I decide how I like it. Also on the fence about the pins per above, as ECL does specifically does not take pins with screws. Installed with the provided pins but might try the JP pins, input appreciated.

Also installed a Triggertech 45 degree safety, liked the idea with a ball point detent but did not like the massive slop side to side and "pretravel". Does not seem to like JP-5 tolerance or something so trying a Radian Talon instead, 45 deg seems nice. Any other 45 deg safety you prefer?

Replaced various parts before Nationals and had a strange malf at an unloaded start. Dropped the bolt with the right side button (on a mag with 5 rounds or so less than max capacity) and the rifle did not go into battery. I had replaced the extractor and the extractor spring but not the SCS spring. It seems like there was not enough force to make the extractor claw go past the case rim? Zero issues other than that. Just changed back to the old extractor and will try that for now. Both extractors and the hole in the bolt head is/was clean. Do I need a new SCS spring? There might be correlation with my flawless performance of the 60 block and 134 to 138 pf ammo here potentially. Any input appreciated.

On 10/5/2023 at 11:38 AM, rayw1128 said:

3, If the trigger works, do I need to replace the safety?  Heard there is a notch (or bump) on the JP5 safety that restrict the function of the safety with replacement triggers.

I just installed the Geissele 2D3G about 3 weeks ago in my JP5. Works great as others have said without modification. So for me there was red loktite on the factory JP anti walk pins, so I essentially destroyed these getting them out. As such, I used the Geissele pins which have worked well through several matches to include a major match.  I have talked to several other competitors that have done this mod and they all used the Geissele pins without issue.

As to the second part of your question the JP safety will NOT work with the 2D3G. I got really good at installing this trigger because I thought I was doing something wrong as it wouldn't come off safe after installation. After a few tries I called a buddy who had done the install and he told me I would need to get a different safety. I chose the Geissele safety as I knew it would work, was on sale, and was similar to a MILSPEC which I generally prefer anyway.

Hopefully this helps.

I had concerns about not using JP pins since they are oversize. But I measured the SD3G pins and they are .355 vs jp .356 so maybe it's ok. I still took the retaining pin out of the SD3G hammer and used JP pins to be safe. It triggers too much OCD and went back stock. Maybe it's a good trigger but it feels like crap vs the stock one I stoned and polished. Stock will last for sure and I am not so sure there is more performance to be had. But I am curious to try it again. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/16/2023 at 7:17 PM, Bdh821 said:

My setup is;

Geissele SD3G

BAD 60° ambi safety 

80 locker

JP SCS 308 red buffer spring 

115gr RN @ ~136pf

I don’t have any time behind a blowback to compare with. It shoots very similar to my MPX’ 

Did you have to change out the SCS bumper to use the 308 spring?

I don't have the side charger and I don't feel it's necessary. You might save a few tenths on an unloaded start or table start if you have the competition handle prop the gun up a bit. Given how rare those are and how little that matters in the grand scheme of the things, I didn't feel like it was worth extra money on. If you want to spend the extra money though, I'd say go for it, there's no real downsides to it either.

• 3 weeks later...