Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP-5 reviews/input

2 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

They claim its a single stage and for all intensive purposes it is.  Like I said there is a tiny tiny amount of take up before reaching a definitive wall.  You can treat it like a 2 stage, but there really is not any pressure of the take up and the movement it barely detectable.  

Look up the trigger on the Geissele web site if you have any more questions.

Thanks for the information,

I did look it up but I was still not sure.

I know you were bragging one up and wanted to be sure what to order.

Thank for the help.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Voted today and as a reward, picked up my JP-5 from the FFL (really, just lucky timing on arrival).  It's the Steel Challenge model that I had them build, with red controls. It took about 15.5 weeks to build and ship to the FFL.

I have a Holosun 501C that I mounted, and I started adjusting in the basement with my laser cartridge (10 yards, just checking L/R alignment, and seeing how low POI is (about 1.5"). I can't wait to zero it at the range.

I plan on doing several things. First, I'll do the break in procedures (why not, they are recommended by JP). Second, I'll chrono the Syntech ammo I bought for break-in, so that I can then compare to the reloads that I make (same weight, and coated as well). Third, I can;t wait to try the trigger. Just dry firing, it feels really great. It's my first PCC, so I cannot wait to shoot it.

I don't want to get into trouble on the forum, so I'll include some teaser shots of it... :)

2024-01-23-018.thumb.jpg.c28a6d3d4e6e8a806e92fe58d674c8e1.jpg2024-01-23-020.thumb.jpg.f57c09115c4858f9a580d80cbb93d97f.jpg

Hows does the modular jp trigger compare to a sd3g? 

My jp trigger is crisp at 3lbs with a short reset, but i am used to lighter open gun triggers. i havent felt the sd3g, but is there actually much difference or is it a wash?

6 minutes ago, lroy said:

Hows does the modular jp trigger compare to a sd3g? 

Not sure if the Modular ones fit.

As for the stock JP triggers compared to the SD3G, for whatever reason I would get trigger freeze with the JP trigger than I experience with the SD3G.  The JP triggers are nice, but I prefer the SD3G.  One might want to try the JP t rigger for a bit before switching to any other trigger.  Triggers always come down to user preference at the end of the day.

23 hours ago, dmshozer1 said:

So you are using the single stage?

I was cleaning and messing around with the JP5 with the SD3G trigger last night.  It really has zero take up after testing it out last night, so it is a single stage trigger.  For some reason I thought I was getting a touch of take up but currently after using the trigger for one season, there really is no take up / pre travel.

Also, I measured the trigger pull and it is coming out at less than 2 pounds.  

Hope this clears up any confusion.

1 hour ago, Boomstick303 said:

Not sure if the Modular ones fit.

As for the stock JP triggers compared to the SD3G, for whatever reason I would get trigger freeze with the JP trigger than I experience with the SD3G.  The JP triggers are nice, but I prefer the SD3G.  One might want to try the JP t rigger for a bit before switching to any other trigger.  Triggers always come down to user preference at the end of the day.

Mine came with the modular trigger.

yeah i dont mind it. It seems like the trigger weight is the same on both. I hear the sd3g has a very positive reset, but that seems lile the only difference from what ive read

oh just saw your <2lb post. That is pretty light

Edited by lroy
7 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

@PaleoMan very nice! Congrats on a sweet rifle and thank you for the pics!

Now time to get it dirty. If we can see the color of the extractor spring it's too clean and needs to be shot 🤣

Will do! I took that picture right after bringing it home. Mounted my optic, took it apart, checked the bore and chamber, and reassembled.

I plan on going to the range tomorrow to sight in the optic, chrono the Syntech ammo I bought for break-in, and certainly have fun trying the trigger and experiencing the recoil or lack of. :)

The only JP-5 that I shot before, was a friend's, who had swapped out the trigger.

I figured I'd chrono the ammo, just to get a feel for the performance. I intent to use my reloads, which are same weight and coated, but I've never tried them with a rifle. I'll need to see how they perform, and figure it may be a useful reference point, knowing how somewhat "similar" commercial rounds perform.

Morning all. 

Quick question. Does anyone have any rough data on a steel challenge specific load. No PF floor. All my testing was for USPSA. With the 70 about 129 was the minimum where reliability came into play. Anyone played around with the 80 on the lower PF end or maybe one of the lower blocks?  90-100-120 if I remember right. Thanks in advance and have a great day. 

-PTR

So i have the Steel Challenge JP5, which I love, got M-class, have been doing great in comps. But my friend bought the competitor which shoots much better for me. I really like the heavy MK3 with dissipatora nd the vertical comp. Im looking to either swap the parts out to make one, get a new upper, or sell the whole gun and just buy the other one. What do you guys think makes the most sense to do?

3 hours ago, greerstyl said:

So i have the Steel Challenge JP5, which I love, got M-class, have been doing great in comps. But my friend bought the competitor which shoots much better for me. I really like the heavy MK3 with dissipatora nd the vertical comp. Im looking to either swap the parts out to make one, get a new upper, or sell the whole gun and just buy the other one. What do you guys think makes the most sense to do?

On a six pound gun, I think it the locking thingy and your hold on the gun make more difference than the compensator.

11 hours ago, greerstyl said:

I have swap the parts and I really like the whole new set up more now.

Edited by Sparryttaren
6 hours ago, Sparryttaren said:

I have swap the parts and I really like the whole new set up more now.

good to hear did you just piece it together? with the barrel did you change to the vertical an the same barrel or get a new barrel?

1 hour ago, greerstyl said:

good to hear did you just piece it together? with the barrel did you change to the vertical an the same barrel or get a new barrel?

Yes, I change all pieces without changing the barrel. My gunsmith did the work. I use an old hand guard from a GMR-15. The new vertical comp ”pin”/weld but a set screw hidden inside for an easy change if needed.

Edited by Sparryttaren
10 hours ago, Sparryttaren said:

Yes, I change all pieces without changing the barrel. My gunsmith did the work. I use an old hand guard from a GMR-15. The new vertical comp ”pin”/weld but a set screw hidden inside for an easy change if needed.

Thank you. I think I’ll do this 

On 2/5/2024 at 3:17 AM, aldukz said:

Any specific setup where we can use the 90 and 100 lockpiece?

They are meant for Steel Challenge loads. I personally didn't need them for my SCSA loads. The 80 degree lock piece ran great for those. 

22 hours ago, lroy said:

Is there anything similar to a bad lever/ redi catch that works with the jp ambi bolt release?

https://www.redi-mag.com/product/redi-catch/

I'm new to PCC and it feels so awkward to lock the bolt bag to make ready/show clear.

FYI - I run the Redi-Catch on my JP GMR-15 even though I was told that it wouldn't fit.  I don't have a JP-5.

I've attached a pic so you can see the spacing.

20240207_155550.jpg

On 2/7/2024 at 4:04 PM, Tampa-XD45 said:

FYI - I run the Redi-Catch on my JP GMR-15 even though I was told that it wouldn't fit.  I don't have a JP-5.

I've attached a pic so you can see the spacing.

20240207_155550.jpg

That's a bad lever, not a redi catch. I'm surprised that fits though. The clearance on the bolt release is very tight.

22 minutes ago, Blackstone45 said:

Can anyone explain how to remove the ejector from the JP-5? It's probably very simple but I don't want to do anything to try and figure it out for myself (and potentially mess up) before asking

It's help in place by a little E-Clip. It should just pop off with a bit of a tug.

(The round part in this listing)

https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JP5-MK

22 minutes ago, lroy said:

That's a bad lever, not a redi catch. I'm surprised that fits though. The clearance on the bolt release is very tight.

It's help in place by a little E-Clip. It should just pop off with a bit of a tug.

(The round part in this listing)

https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JP5-MK

Correct ... I installed the Bad Lever because the Redi-Catch won't work with a dedicated PCC mag catch. 

Some Colt pattern PCCs will allow a Redi-Catch to be used.  I used one for many years on my Colt style PCC.

I run the Redi-Catch on all of my centerfire ARs.

15 minutes ago, JPFiver said:

Anyone with a suppressed 8.5" barrel experience?  Trying to determine lock piece choice (60, 70?) for both subsonic and supersonic.  Also, any opinions on ammo brand and/or grain for this application?  TIA!

Typo above (for some reason, can't seem to edit): 8" JP Supermatch, 1:10 twist