Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg JM 940 Pro

BCGlocker

Anyone using a Mossberg JM 940 Pro for competition?  I was going to buy one but saw a couple terrible reviews on reliability on YouTube.  Also, I did a research her and found nothing.  Any feedback would be appreciated. 

Edited by BCGlocker

2 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

I wonder if JM is happy his name is associated with that shotgun?

I don't know, he's associated with that magnetic buffer. Whether it works or not, all of the promotional video I've seen for it is so bad it makes Vince from shamwow look legit.

Have been running a 930 for about 5 years, and the 940 appears to be a 930 with lots of parts either sourced or copies of Oregon 3G upgrades.

The ONLY reason I went w the 930 is low cost compared to competition, but the 940 is close to the 1301, another gas operated SG.

OP, check out the 930 threads on BE.com to get a background, as it seems the 940 likely has similar if not identical issues to the 930. It took me a year or two

to get the springs balanced, sharp corners and loading port sorted out, but now it is a sewing machine. Will it last as long as a 1301? Not likely but I am not a high

volume SG user. So if you like to tinker and have some mechanical skills, the 940 MIGHT be a good choice, but if you want reliability from the start, unfortunately would

recommend a 1301 or a recoil operated SG such as Benelli or Stoeger.

Sad that Mossberg could not work out the bugs in the 940.

Mark

When I was buying my 3gun shotgun a few years ago I went thought the same thing for low cost options of the 930 vs m3k and ended up with a franchi affinity 3. Paid about $600 for the gun and 150 for a tube and it'll eat anything without issue. I would have likely gotten the m3k if it wasn't sold out everywhere and then I can across a video of the affinity vs an M2 and there are a ton of crossover parts there and it sold me. I've probably got over 3k rounds through it in a couple of years between 3gun, sporting clays, and hunting and haven't had a single issue.

People complain about the slightly heavier recoil of an inertia gun but I'm a duck hunter running 3 and 3.5 in shells through a pump before so both guns felt soft shooting for me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I love stories of JM pro crapping out at matches.  But how about benelli’s doing the same?  At the vortex 3gun shootout two shooters in my squad had benelli’s  stop working mid stage, while my JM pro was singing along.  
maybe mine is a unicorn, but a blanket statement either way: Benelli are 100 reliable or all mossberg JM pro are crap, is not totally accurate either way.

I purchased a 940 and it had a very slight but noticeable wobble between the barrel and receiver that drove me nuts.  Contacted Mossberg and they said it wouldn't affect function or safety.  I couldn't abide by that and promptly sold it.

I agree with TitoR. I have seen a good many Benellis fail. In the hey day of 3-gun there were tons of "how to" videos on modifications, and I used to cringe seeing some of the crap they were doing. It got to the point I could walk down a gun rack at a match and pick out the ones that probably wouldn't make it through a whole match. That and utter lack of maintenance and lubrication brought plenty of Benellis to their knees! That said gun to gun moded right and maintained the  Benellis are a far better gun and in general work much better than most any other. They sure outlast anything else out there. 

Kurtm, I fully agree with your take.  At the end of the day it all a matter of how well you understand your kit and the investment of time and money to make it work.  
Even a Benelli will require some work, maintenance and understanding of how it works to keep it running.  
A mossberg, probably more and heavily depends on the initial quality.  Maybe, I was lucky.  Or it was all the deburring, polishing and upgrades I did.  
I’m looking for an upgrade and probably go inertia, just to learn about the other camp.  
But I still love my soft shooting gas jam pro that eats anything available.

cheers

• 2 months later...

This is sad to read as I witching the last year got a 940. I haven’t ran it hard yet. Box or two down the tube just to pattern it. I can’t say I’ve had any hiccups, yet. Guess I’ll be doing a little more homework. 

• 3 weeks later...

I had the exact same sinking feeling in my gut after i bought a 930 and then read all the horror stories on this forum.  But I kept it clean (full cleaning every 3-4 matches) and shot high quality Walmart red box ammo and it’s been more consistent than some of the benellis and other *good* guns people use.  It’s definitely more reliable than the magazine fed open shotguns 🙂.  I had a few problems over the years but always could clear a round or a stovepipe and keep shooting.

I did add all the OR3Gun components to make it more like a 940 and i keep it lubed in all the moving places.

I shoot in AZ … so not a lot of humidity - just dust/dirt.

I shoot mostly 2 gun now so I haven’t run it hard for a while.  But don’t count it out yet.  Run it. Keep it clean.  If it has problems then make sure to tell @TonytheTiger cause I’m pretty sure he keeps a spreadsheet documenting dead JMPros 😉 LOL.

To be fair, after reading all this a while back I decided to just abuse the poor thing. Lol. I ran everything through it. Walmart boxes from idk how many years ago, about six different loads from my local hunting box store to see what she likes. It ran everything. I really don’t feel like it’ll let me down as long as I do my part and clean it and replace springs when needed. Heck, I’m confident enough to take it out for spring turkey once I found out there’s no plug requirements 🤣