Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg JM 940 Pro

BCGlocker

• 1 month later...

i have a new 940 jm pro ihave had nothing but troble with it . i shoot 3-gun first of all they brag about point of aim point of impact that is bull mine shoots slugs six inches to left out of the box new called mossburg they said they have had no trouble at all with this mod. they lied ihave friends in 3-gun that hates the940 due to broken parts accuracy problems even with bird shot trigger problems will only shooy med. loads they say anything even cheep wal-mart fed. that was a lie also and the bad thing they will not own up to any problems they make us look like idiots when you get someone to talk to if youare lucky two friends sent their gun back for repairs three months later they got them back they were worse than before also you pay shipping both ways .when you own the 940 jm pro you have been had stuck with it a pond shop owner told me he dont touch themat any price . i have lost 850.00 for a junk gun i cant give away . iwill use it for a tomato stake this spring send a photo to mossburg. dont buy this gun the 930 was better and it to was junk.

Welllll….. I’ve already gotten it lol. About six months ago. But I’ve heard very similar things… after I bought it. To be fair though, I’ve been lucky enough to not have had any issues yet. Granted, I haven’t run a match with it yet or even fired a whole lot from it. I’d estimate 50-75 shells. All Walmart federals and a few winchesters sprinkled in there. No slugs or anything yet. Maybe next weekend I’ll sling a few down the tube and see what happens. 

Actually, I’ve had enough good luck with it, I was going to toss a turkey choke in it and take it out next weekend lol. But I got a bit smarter and got a lighter dedicated turkey gun. But I did feel confident enough with it to take it out if needed. 

hopefully my luck with it continues 

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm doing my bi-annual drop in here, another month down the road in this thread.  If you've picked up a 940, you have a 930 with Mossberg-made OR3Gun parts and a modified SBE Precision piston.

Necessary work:

Polish inside the action spring tube

De-burr the action spring

Polish inside the mag tube

Polish the mag tube extension and chamfer the mouth where it transitions to the tube

A longer follower is better

De-burr the slide assembly & bolt and polish the base of the bolt where it rides on the slide assembly

Check movement of shell latch & bolt release, de-burr & polish as needed

Some folks run theirs "wet", I use dry lube & a bit of grease.

5 minutes ago, Rob72 said:

If you've picked up a 940, you have a 930 with Mossberg-made OR3Gun parts

Is it bad that you said this and I had to question which one I bought? That’s got to be a sign it’s been sitting for too long lol

• 4 months later...

For whatever it's worth, I have a 940 that I bought July 2022, but it's the turkey variant, 18" barrel, now with red dot and tube extension.  I only have maybe 400 rounds through it, but it's run flawlessly.  Alternating Rio (weak and cheap) birdshot with 3" magnum loads-- no problem. 

It's not accurate with slugs.  Best I can do is five in about 10" at 100 yards (often it does better, but I can always count on 10" for five shots).  I'm not happy with that, but at least it works well with Flitecontrol buckshot.  Consistent 5" patterns at 25 yards with #1 Flitecontrol. 

Speaking of that... this is a replacement for a Beretta 1301 that I bought and quickly sold.  It didn't work with Flitecontrol buck-- it stripped the wad I guess three times out of four, and changing chokes did not help.  And it couldn't keep any brand of slug, ever, in under a 12" group at 100.  Plus it just felt so cheap with that plastic cover over the magazine extension, and the rattle in the pistol grip stock from the sling attachment... just too much.  Good bye...  It was reliable though.

Anyway, so far I'm happy with the 940.

FWIW.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

There seems to be a lot of disappointed owners, but I am a happy one. I went from a Beretta Xtrema with an extended mag to the 940. Mine runs well. When it screws up it is due to my reloads. My reloads (thus far) have been for my Browning Citori for clays. They just don't have much powder in them. They were not designed to run an auto. My 940 likes ammo that is a little on the warm side. Why did I leave the Beretta at home? It was designed for hunting. It will run any power level of shell, but the downside is if you try to load quick, you can get your thumbnail hooked on the lifter and when that happens, you are bleeding. I had to finish a 3 gun stage with blood dripping down the shotgun, and then the handgun, blood on my jeans, blood everywhere. It was one hell of I sight I suppose.  This was the day I decided on the 940, because Jerry had Mossberg mill the action and shape the lifter so that is less likely to happen. It was also the day that I learned to keep a small assortment of 1st aid stuff in the cart.

FWIW,  there are places that build up the lifter in front so that they no longer bite the finger that shoves new rounds into the mag tube. Glad Jerry got Mossberg to get the factory to design one that starts that way.

A lot of the 940 changes over the 930 are clearly based on Oregon 3Gun after market parts for the 930. Hope Mossberg pays them royalty fees.

Mark