Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SS to Limited

Bakerjd

So just got my new limited gun and it shoots awesome and all. But going back to limited from SS is a lot harder change then I figured it was going to be. The new limited gun is a 5.4" with island barrel and sight block. Balances well for me but I just dont seem to be getting good hits like I was with my 9mm 1911. Only shot two 5 stage matches with it so far but I dont know if it's me or the gun and cant decide if I want to shoot innthe rest of the year or not. Decisions.....

I went from a 5" 45 single stack to a 5.5" 40 limited gun and didn't like it.  I had no problems going back and forth, but I didn't like the longer barrel.  5" barrels worked better for me.  I ended up selling the 5.5" gun and getting a 5" model.

I'm not comfortable shooting a new match gun until at least 6 or 700 rounds have gone through it. Even then we're just barely getting to know each other. You have to accept things will feel different and act different going from a 9mm 1911 to a 40sw 2011.

Start to focus on the process, rather than the outcome.

I just went for SS to CO after locap nats and am just now starting to get back to where I feel I should be.  Part of that is going to glock for CO but also its a different game with 20+ rounds in the gun vs 10 I had in SS minor.

I primarily shoot SS major but have no bigger matches coming up until November.  My Limited gun has both 40 and 9mm complete uppers. I'm going to shoot some Limited minor for a while because I've got plenty of 9mm loaded and it's just generally cheaper all around, brass, bullets etc .

@PatJones after looking at the competitor app for practiscore I shot all 5 stages at the match today above 80% of points. Worst stage was 81%, 86%, 90%,90%, 94%. Came in 2nd in Lim div, with Jeff Gerek laying the smack down on me but he is a GM. I'm not sure who the rest of the competition was really. I've been super focused on figuring out and knowing who in SS was at majors that I needed to be staying in close range with durring matches that I havent played attention to any other divisions to know who is who these days. 

@Hammerman can you explain what the issues were or dislikes about the 5.5" setup? I've shot a couple 5.4 and 5.5 inch limited guns including my new one but am not 100% sure I like it. The original plan was to use a 5" OAL barrel so it would be 4.6" to the threads for the sight block but we ended up going with a 5.4" instead. I'm wondering if that was a good idea. Or if I just need more time. 

@rowdyb I'd say I'm around 400 rounds through it so far. But only about 200 of those are actually in matches. And the others are just a couple range sessions making sure mags work, sighting in, and a few transition drills and draw to first shot. 

I think one of the issues is I've been really successful this year with my SS gun. Placed extremely well for me, top 5 finishes in division in multiple majors in area 5, won a few B class, made B class. I think part of it is I wanted/hyped myself up to just roll right into limited and have the exact same results. But didnt spend all winter and half a season shooting this gun, dry firing, ect.. and am second guessing myself. I keep thinking should I stick to SS and finish the year or keep going with limited. I enjoy both a lot. 

It takes some time to adjust to the new gun and also tune it to your tastes. That gun is probably very front heavy and overall much heavier than your SS gun.

Also it's not a 9mm anymore. You actually have to hold onto it. 

I have difficulty going from SS to Limited but not from Limited to SS. I think it has to be the grip. As much as they have tried to duplicate the feel of a SS grip in a 2011 gun, the SS gun feels better points better etc.

16 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

@Hammerman can you explain what the issues were or dislikes about the 5.5" setup? I've shot a couple 5.4 and 5.5 inch limited guns including my new one but am not 100% sure I like it. The original plan was to use a 5" OAL barrel so it would be 4.6" to the threads for the sight block but we ended up going with a 5.4" instead. I'm wondering if that was a good idea. Or if I just need more time. 

I was running a CK arms 5.5" thunder slide(lightened slide) but it had the short dust cover and poly grip.  I also tried a steel grip.  Maybe it was because it didn't have the heavy full length dust cover, but the gun seemed like it had a higher lift on recoil.  I don't believe it recoiled more.  Just the extra length of the slide made it feel like it lifted more and was slower.  Shooting that gun compared to a stock STI Edge, the edge was easier to shoot and had less recoil.  The edge did weight more.  For me, the shorter the slide, the faster the sights line up again.  I really like 4" guns because the sights are lined up fast.  They just aren't quite as accurate the farther you go out.  One thing about the 5.5" barrel is I was just slightly more accurate with it.   

Well after shooting battle for the north coast this past weekend with the limited gun I am more confident with it. A lot more. I spent 3 nights last week doing transitions, draw to first shot, and working on trigger control. Got my average split times down to .18sec. I still every so often dont let the trigger reset but it has gotten a LOT better then when I started with this new gun. But what I am most happy about is the fact that my arms, hands, and wrists were good though out the entire 10 stage match. I made this gun extremely heavy for the sole purpose of soaking up as much recoil as possible due to having a lot PF nerve damage in both arms and 40 cal major being painful to shoot for an entire match. 

I found that durring the match I'm having trouble slowing down on hard shots or partials with no shoots. That cost me a lot this match. But I think it part of learning to shoot on the move. 

6 minutes ago, Bakerjd said:

I found that durring the match I'm having trouble slowing down on hard shots or partials with no shoots. That cost me a lot this match. But I think it part of learning to shoot on the move. 

It was a challenging match penalty-wise—lots of no-shoots, lots of temptation to shoot fast around them.

3 hours ago, Fishbreath said:

It was a challenging match penalty-wise—lots of no-shoots, lots of temptation to shoot fast around them.

For sure. I went Saturday and walked stages. Left thinking it was going to be fun and a Challange but I'd be solid. 12 Mike's, 6 no shoots later and the worst stage hit factor I've had in years I ended up winning limited C class. Stage 4 killed me. .6481 hit facter. Out of all the majors I've shot from A5, Fl Open, various sectionals, and state matches this one and FL open are the hardest by far. But are the funniest to shoot. They make you think and choose the risk factor ypu are willing to accept. I'd like to have shot stage 4 over again at the end of the match to see if I'd do it better. I say that because I could see my hits getting closer together on targets and was starting to figure out to slow down on harder shots. 

2 hours ago, fishhunter3 said:

a friend switched from SS to limited after shooting SS for years. we were teasing him about shooting 8 them reloading. and almost fell over laughing  when he did it on the first string

🤣🤣 I have shot SS exclusively for this season, shot it about 3/4 of last season and the season before that. I love SS. To me it is very fun. But by about 3/4 of the way through the season it's no fun anymore. 

7 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

For sure. I went Saturday and walked stages. Left thinking it was going to be fun and a Challange but I'd be solid. 12 Mike's, 6 no shoots later and the worst stage hit factor I've had in years I ended up winning limited C class. Stage 4 killed me. .6481 hit facter. Out of all the majors I've shot from A5, Fl Open, various sectionals, and state matches this one and FL open are the hardest by far. But are the funniest to shoot. They make you think and choose the risk factor ypu are willing to accept. I'd like to have shot stage 4 over again at the end of the match to see if I'd do it better. I say that because I could see my hits getting closer together on targets and was starting to figure out to slow down on harder shots. 

I was one of the ROs on stage 4 (the only one you could reasonably describe as a newbie), and let me tell you, you weren't alone. It got into almost every squad's heads in one way or another. Some had misses on the back no-shoot partial, some plugged the walls and had misses on the open back targets, some tagged the edges of the no-shoot coming around the corner.

Good to know that it's an above-average challenge! I haven't gotten to any other major matches yet, so I'm glad I'm not starting with one that'll give me the wrong idea.

18 hours ago, Fishbreath said:

I was one of the ROs on stage 4 (the only one you could reasonably describe as a newbie), and let me tell you, you weren't alone. It got into almost every squad's heads in one way or another. Some had misses on the back no-shoot partial, some plugged the walls and had misses on the open back targets, some tagged the edges of the no-shoot coming around the corner.

Good to know that it's an above-average challenge! I haven't gotten to any other major matches yet, so I'm glad I'm not starting with one that'll give me the wrong idea.

🤣🤣🤣🤣 for sure. I had a solid plan but... I knew as soon as I was done shooting it I had a lot of penalties. Ahh well. And as for being a newbie RO, I dont know of you ran me or not but I didnt have any issues with RO or match staff at all. Yall had ot down solid which is always a nice thing. I've been to L3 matches where the RO staff makes the match very unfun. 

At least @Sarge was there to let me know I did a superb job of tanking the stage. Thanks buddy!

Edited by Bakerjd

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/9/2021 at 4:16 PM, lppd4 said:

I have difficulty going from SS to Limited but not from Limited to SS. I think it has to be the grip. As much as they have tried to duplicate the feel of a SS grip in a 2011 gun, the SS gun feels better points better etc.

This is what I've needed to hear. I've had a hell of a time moving from an open gun to limited.

Really good thread and a lot of good advice. 

There was only one small comment of turning the gun though but to me that was the biggest help.

RECOIL SPRING! I don't have a lot of time to mess with this stuff so I got my first 40 this year and just shot two matches without doing anything to the gun besides making ammo and making sure it met PF. 

I hated the way it shot and did terrible with it. 

Long story short I took the time to find the right recoil spring and now I'm winning limited and L10 at every local and loving this gun. It's a 5 inch CK Hardcore. 40 is a completely different round than 9 and takes some adjustment. 

How I do it is put a ten inch plate at around thirty feet. Double tap on it as fast as I can with every weight spring and settle on the spring that gets me the tightest group and the fastest split. It's time consuming and your hands get filthy but it's absolutely necessary. I'm sure you know that the spring weight on the bag is not actually the spring weight and even if it is right it does not mean anything, it's just a number. You have to find the spring that is right for you. This also means just because somone on here says put this weight in there doesn't mean it will work for you. 

On 9/5/2021 at 5:18 PM, louu said:

Really good thread and a lot of good info 

How I do it is put a ten inch plate at around thirty feet. Double tap on it as fast as I can with every weight spring and settle on the spring that gets me the tightest group and the fastest split. It's time consuming and your hands get filthy but it's absolutely necessary. I'm sure you know that the spring weight on the bag is not actually the spring weight and even if it is right it does not mean anything, it's just a number. You have to find the spring that is right for you. This also means just because somone on here says put this weight in there doesn't mean it will work for you. 

Funny you mention that. I hadnt messed with recoil spring in the new gun at all really. It had a 14lb in it when i bought it and i ran that until this weekends match. I decided to try out a 12.5lb ISMI spring which is what I ran in both of my older limited guns and my 40 cal 1911. Instantly knew it was much better. I have a 12lb, 11lb, 10lb, and 13lb to try thursday before heading to A5 but if the local Saturday is any indication I'll probably be sticking with the 12.5lb one. 

I also ended up doing a slight retune of the sear spring at some point because it relaxed a little. In my experience this is pretty common with EGW sear springs though. 

I can say however that I must be getting used to it as I won limited c at battle for the north coast, and took 3rd c class at IL Sectional. Both IMO were very tough matches. 

Now if I can keep it together, get a bit less Mike's, and keep away from the dang no shoot targets I should place pretty well at A5. I'm hoping for 65% of whome ever the top Limited shooter is. And top 3 limited C. 

I will say though I am really liking this whole sight tracker setup. Much easier to keep it lined up for me. And a 5.5" gun now that I'm used to how it transitions is really nice. Was a bit interesting when transitions to close to the 180 in the beggining but now.... smooth as butter. 

Much thanks for the tips everyone. I'll keep this updated as I can. 

Oh round count is in the 2k range now. Not a single hiccup with Dan at D2C gun.