Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

75 SP-01 or a Shadow 2 OR

Flea

I'm considering one of these guns to use in CO. I've shot the Shadow for a few rounds and never the 75. Don't expect to get to hold or shoot the 75 since no one around here has the gun. I'd get the 75 milled for an optic.

Are the grip ergonomics identical between the 2 guns? Close? I typically wear a SM or Med glove. Can the 75 be tuned to the same extent that most people do to the Shadow? Any reasons not to get the 75? Any insights would be appreciated. 

The Shadow 2 has a deeper cut under the beaver tail that shortens the distance to the trigger. S2 also has far better checkering, better machining and is overall an improvement on the 75 series frames. 

You can get both more or less close with the exception of the things listed above. When the S2 comes optic ready now I don't see much reason to go with the 75 series anymore for CO. 

8 hours ago, Nathanb said:

You’ll have a hell of a time finding an optic ready shadow 2. It took me months to find one 

Actually there’s one for sale right here precut for plate. Very interesting because it is a rare find. Also of note is that at that price point you could purchase the S2 and have a gunsmith mill it for a plate for potentially less than the list price.

https://czgunstore.com/cz-shadow-2-optics-ready/

I spoke with a gunsmith at CGW about a similar predicament: I own an SP-01 (not a Shadow 1) and I had asked about whether I could get as much performance by fully upgrading that pistol as I would out of an S2 with polish and some minor upgrades. Basically he said that neither is a bad option, but that in his opinion (see image):

Comes down to personal preference but he basically said the Shadow 2 is worth the money.

C6116678-72F5-48C4-B02B-43513116FCFE.jpeg

Check out available pistols from CZ Custom. They normally have tuned SP-01 shadow or shadow 1 frame guns with RDS plate cut available. I prefer the shorter frame pistols so it was a good option for me. Stuart is great to accommodate whatever your needs are. 

Edited by Jmo2011

I’ve put ~70k rnds thru SP01 production gun. Great trigger that got better with Cajun GWs short reset and reach reduction kits. DA ~4 1/4 lb and SA ~2 1/4. Dry fired an IPSC SP01 legal production gun several years ago with ~5 lb DA/1 lb SA - a great

trigger!  I believe little difference in OR and SP01 triggers with competent gun smithing. There are grip differences. I believe minor but certain others would say significant. My CO gun is an SP01 set up as close as I can to my Production.  My 2 cents is get the SP01 and spend the difference in price on training, and/or ammo/reloading components if you can find them. If you are a legit GM/M then maybe the OR would help you compete against the best. The gun helps but IMO it is the person who makes the most difference in USPSA/IPSC. The shooters in our sport can and do win with a lot of different pistols. 

I purchased both a Shadow 2 and an SP01 within a month of each other. My plan was to shoot Production and the SP01 was going to be my back-up gun to the Shadow 2.

The SP01 was sent to CJ Maven for his Villain trigger work and it greatly lightened the trigger. However, I still preferred the feel of the S2 trigger and overall shot it better than the SP01. I later went to a 13lb hammer spring for the S2 which lightened up the trigger a bit but not to the level of SP01 with the trigger work. I've now gone to an 11.5lb hammer spring and find the two triggers comparable as far as pull weight.

20 hours ago, Flea said:

Are the grip ergonomics identical between the 2 guns? Close? I typically wear a SM or Med glove. Can the 75 be tuned to the same extent that most people do to the Shadow? Any reasons not to get the 75? Any insights would be appreciated. 

For me (6'1", probably average size hands for height) the ergo's are very different, no brand similarity at all. I sold a fully tuned SP01 and got the shadow 2, found that the 2 pointed high for me, felt nose heavy to me, and although the trigger was much better than the SP01 out of the box I ended up doing all the same things (sear, springs, disco, hammer, polish-polish-polish) to get it as good as my SP01 was. 

Sold the S2 and got an SP01 Shadow and I'm happy again.

It all gets down to personal preferences or hand size, they are both good. If I was you I would do what it takes to allow me to lay hands on an SP01 and then decide. 

Oh, SP01 vs SP01 Shadow, I would not sweat the difference. You can get a great trigger on either. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

You're a relatively new shooter.  If you're serious about getting better you should do these:

• Stop jumping from gun to gun.  IIRC you already have a Glock 34.  Send the slide out to get machined for the optic of your choice.  Some places will do it right for as little as $75 without refinishing.  All you need to do is mask the slide with tape and hit the bare steel with rustoleum, or even easier apply some DIY bluing.
  • Spend the difference between the optic cut and a new gun on ammo and training.

3 hours ago, GeneBray said:

I’ve put ~70k rnds thru SP01 production gun. Great trigger that got better with Cajun GWs short reset and reach reduction kits. DA ~4 1/4 lb and SA ~2 1/4. Dry fired an IPSC SP01 legal production gun several years ago with ~5 lb DA/1 lb SA - a great

trigger!  I believe little difference in OR and SP01 triggers with competent gun smithing. There are grip differences. I believe minor but certain others would say significant. My CO gun is an SP01 set up as close as I can to my Production.  My 2 cents is get the SP01 and spend the difference in price on training, and/or ammo/reloading components if you can find them. If you are a legit GM/M then maybe the OR would help you compete against the best. The gun helps but IMO it is the person who makes the most difference in USPSA/IPSC. The shooters in our sport can and do win with a lot of different pistols. 

I am unclassified, only shot one match and only started shooting in 2019.

37 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

You're a relatively new shooter.  If you're serious about getting better you should do these:

• Stop jumping from gun to gun.  IIRC you already have a Glock 34.  Send the slide out to get machined for the optic of your choice.  Some places will do it right for as little as $75 without refinishing.  All you need to do is mask the slide with tape and hit the bare steel with rustoleum, or even easier apply some DIY bluing.
  • Spend the difference between the optic cut and a new gun on ammo and training.

I have a Romeo3 Max on my G34. I can't say I disagree with your thinking. Just getting a little new toy syndrome.

On 6/19/2021 at 10:12 AM, Flea said:

I have a Romeo3 Max on my G34. I can't say I disagree with your thinking. Just getting a little new toy syndrome.

I went through this a few months back. Had a 34.5 mos for 3gun and was looking at either a nice limited gun or picking up a dot. I went the dot route when I got a good deal on one and love CO.

That said, I decided to use the money I was going to use for a new gun on a 1050 and now I just shoot more. I figured once I'm looking at M the gun may matter but for now I could use more trigger time over a new gun.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2021 at 9:43 AM, Flea said:

I might be one of the rare cases that shot an S2 for about 10k rounds and then went back to the 75 (not the SP01). All the Shadows (S2, SP01, or 75 flavor) can be tuned to the same quality triggers though the Shadow 2 has a bit of head start.

But let the 34 take you to B class before you buy anything new. You'll have much more experience to judge your options.

I was shooting regularly with a guy running a G17 in Texas. He also was curious about CZs, and after lending him a variety from CZC, he decided to stick with his Glock. He still beats me with it half the time.

A Dillon 550 on the other hand, that might be a good $600 investment to lower your overall cost of shooting.

Haven’t followed this thread for a while since an earlier post. So may repeat some other so hopefully not repeating others.  The pistol doesn't make the GM, the person’s work ethic, and practice makes the GM. Son-in-law works in a job that requires firearms. He gets lots of training and practice. One training sessions as a fun exercise. They began shoring at a target. And backed up a fix distance after every string. A miss and you were out. When someone missed, the instructor used then used the students pistol and shot the target and hit ever time - just showing it was not the pistol. The instructor won and distance was well over 100+ yards. My understanding is Rob Leatham won SS national several years ago shooting factory 230 gr ammo. That would place his PF typically in the 190 or better range. That would be a large handicap to over come and he still won. The biggest requirements for a competition firearm IMO are is:  Is it reliable, and is it accurate enough for the type of competition in which it is being used?  If so, it is good enough to win and move up to your best skill level. I’m not saying equipment doesn’t matter since it does but people seems to want the latest most “best firearm de jour.”  It is practice and hard work that makes you good/great not what you use. 

Re 550 versus other Dillon presses.  I started reloading for USPSA on a single stage press.  The time spent as i shot more competition and began practicing regularly was killing me. Moved to a Dillon 550 after ruling out 1050 for cost and debating with myself for a long time over 650. At the time there was no case feeder for 550. Huge time saver making the move. It didn't take long to realize a 650 was the better choice. If you are serious about USPSA/competitive shooting, get at least a 650. I lucked into a phenomenal buy of a 1050 a year or so after getting a 550.  I now use both presses regularly. I shoot more 9 and 40, which are loaded on the 1050, lower volume ammo like 45 I use the 550. Had I purchased a 650 first would most likely never bought a 1050 A bullet feeder does significantly improve the reloading tine. 

P. S. Not looking to start debate(s) just sharing my experiences and insights. YMMV

P. P. S. It isn’t the equipment that makes a great shooter, it is a ton of hard work at dry, live fire practice, competition shooting and coaching from people who know have learned what does and doesn’t work that does. Learn to master all the skills and you will be successful and reach your goals. 

Personally, I'd start off with which base gun feels better to me before I even worried about the optic.  For example, I know that I really fit the S2 better than the SP01 so I would get an S2 slide modified for an optic if you can't find one. if you can't try handling them in a store, you might be able to find someone9s0 at a match who'll let you try the fit of one or both in your hand

CZ Custom has SP01 Shadow first gens that are cut for their plate system - I got one for just over $1000 and it was a great deal.  The plates are easy to find and work very well.  Of note, I prefer the ergos to the original CZ Shadows over Shadow 2.