Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

World Speed Shooting Championships livestream???

Chills1994

15 minutes ago, Chills1994 said:

So I gotta ask..... is “SS” single stack 1911’s then?  What’s the difference between that and shooting Limited?  Holster design/placement?

SS has to match uspsa division rules. Like making weight, hoster, etc. But this year had that changed.

I think Luna just shot Limited at Am with his Prod setup to get wormup for Pm Prod run.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, euxx said:

Looks like super squad is almost done.

KC won Open by 5%, followed by Sevigni and then Nagata.

Luna is still leading Prod by 5%, folloved by Nils...

And Kenshiro is only 14. He will be a handful for them before long. 

1 hour ago, euxx said:

SS has to match uspsa division rules. Like making weight, hoster, etc. But this year had that changed.

I think Luna just shot Limited at Am with his Prod setup to get wormup for Pm Prod run.

Thank you!

But really there is nothing stopping you from say shooting a 9mm single stack 1911 drawn from a barely there CR Speed type limited/open holster for the Steel Challenge Limited Division?

I mean if that’s all you have at the time.... or if you a .40 call double stacked 2011, shooting .40 seems kinda overkill for SC.

38 minutes ago, Chills1994 said:

But really there is nothing stopping you from say shooting a 9mm single stack 1911 drawn from a barely there CR Speed type limited/open holster for the Steel Challenge Limited Division?

That is what I implying. You can shoot same SS gun in both SS and Limited. Not sure if Open has to have the optics...

Similarly the same Prod gun can be run in Prod and Limited. And OS Revolver in OSR and Limited too :)

38 minutes ago, Chills1994 said:

I mean if that’s all you have at the time.... or if you a .40 call double stacked 2011, shooting .40 seems kinda overkill for SC.

There is no PF in Steel Challenge, so .40 is likely an overkill (unless custom loaded to a puff loads). Though the weight of the gun may play large role. With no stacked up on the same targets they tend to make both Open and Limited guns based on SS frames and lighten them up, I think.

36 minutes ago, euxx said:

That is what I implying. You can shoot same SS gun in both SS and Limited. Not sure if Open has to have the optics...

Similarly the same Prod gun can be run in Prod and Limited. And OS Revolver in OSR and Limited too :)

There is no PF in Steel Challenge, so .40 is likely an overkill (unless custom loaded to a puff loads). Though the weight of the gun may play large role. With no stacked up on the same targets they tend to make both Open and Limited guns based on SS frames and lighten them up, I think.

Thank you sir!

Yeah, this is ancient history now, but for USPSA, I used to shoot Limited minor with a Beretta 92.  The 20 round MecGar mags made it lots of fun.

On 4/17/2021 at 8:13 PM, outerlimits said:

the steel challenge has basically become a rimfire event for teens.

Not to take away anything from the kids but it is hard to argue with this. In the World Speed shoot this year there are 167 guns total in Main Match. Some of the rimfire and PCC rifle divisions alone have almost that many guns. Production had 12 guns, OSR had 15. Locally I'm used to about 30% of the guns being centerfire handguns drawn from a holster. So yes the sport is currently dominated by kids shooting rimfire and PCC. How does the sport stay viable for the traditional base if this trend continues?

If HQ sees this as a disturbing trend then they could offer incentives to get more interest in centerfire handguns. 

Edited by firewood

Y'all know you can shoot this any way you want and still have fun right? If you enjoy shooting from the draw sign up and shoot. If you enjoy the low ready divisions you can shoot those too. I shot 4 divisions including CO. I didn't care which divisions I shot outside of PCC. I was honestly just thrilled to see so many people shooting regardless of divisions. The match fills in minutes. Anyone who has ever been a MD understands how amazing that is. 

BTW, for those that either did not know or realize it (INCLUDING THE USPSA MANAGEMENT) this is the 40th Anniversary of the Steel Challenge.

I'd like offer my congratulations & thanks and propose a HUGE toast to Mike & Mike for their vision in creating the Steel Challenge World Speed Shooting Championships Pistol Tournament & also to EVERYONE who has been a part of the event for the past 40 years!  :cheers: 

We owe all of them a great deal of gratitude for helping to keep the dream alive.  :bow:

In whatever form it evolves into, may the Steel Challenge live & thrive for another 40 years! :rolleyes:

Jim

wssc.jpg

Thank you Jim for the positive note in another otherwise b!tchfest mostly by people who don't even shoot Steel Challenge.   Yes, I got your subtle "pistol" hint, but I think I've seen you shoot a Rimfire Optic Rifle once,  or thrice!

And as for a rimfire event for teens, great!  How else are you going to get new shooters into Steel Challenge?

On 4/17/2021 at 5:13 PM, outerlimits said:

On 4/17/2021 at 10:13 PM, outerlimits said:

Yep, thank the beard for turning a world class event into the county fair.  Mike & Mike would be puking their guts out seeing what this sh&t show has become. And yes, I shot the challenge from 84 thru around 2001.

A question for you Jim since you know the Mikes.  What do you think they would feel about what the Challenge has become with Rimfire Rifles, Carry Optics, PCC's, etc...?

From what I gathered from my limited exposure to Mike Dalton at your West Coast matches and other Steel Challenge matches, he was all for the kids and rimfires, both pistol and rifle.

I wish I would have been able to go to the WSSC this year, and yes I would have been shooting my rimfires, my PCC and my Open gun, if I could have been there.

Nolan

1 hour ago, Nolan said:

A question for you Jim since you know the Mikes.  What do you think they would feel about what the Challenge has become with Rimfire Rifles, Carry Optics, PCC's, etc...?

I am not Jim but I did shoot the Steel Challenge at SWPL in Feb. Dalton shot also, as he does every month. He had a squad of folks from young to old. He shot limited. And I never saw him puke, even one time 😉 

52 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Yes, I got your subtle "pistol" hint, but I think I've seen you shoot a Rimfire Optic Rifle once,  or thrice!

Hey Nolan- You've only seen me shoot a rifle once in a Steel Challenge event, at the 2019 Area 2 when I was testing the Briley Raptor rifle. Life is too short not to shoot Open! 😉

1 hour ago, Nolan said:

From what I gathered from my limited exposure to Mike Dalton at your West Coast matches and other Steel Challenge matches, he was all for the kids and rimfires, both pistol and rifle.

Mike Dalton, of all people, understands how long guns are affecting the growth, direction, focus & financial bottom line of sport. 🤔 Mike, as do I and the other "dinosaurs" who were fortunate to experience the golden years in Piru, also appreciates & respects the origins, history & legacy of what the Steel Challenge was meant to be. 😔

6 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I am not Jim but I did shoot the Steel Challenge at SWPL in Feb. Dalton shot also, as he does every month. He had a squad of folks from young to old. He shot limited. And I never saw him puke, even one time 😉 

Chuck- Mike is at the point in his shooting career where he can just go out, have fun and enjoy shooting with his friends & family. He's certainly earned it! :bow:

3 minutes ago, Jim O'Young said:

Chuck- Mike is at the point in his shooting career where he can just go out, have fun and enjoy shooting with his friends & family. He's certainly earned it! :bow:

Yup, he seems to be enjoying himself. I met him at Piru more than 20 years ago. Nice guy!

And in looking at the combined overall results, it appears KC was the first drawn from a holster shooter ....coming in at 114th place.... not that I am griping.

just making an observation.

9 hours ago, Chills1994 said:

And in looking at the combined overall results, it appears KC was the first drawn from a holster shooter ....coming in at 114th place.... not that I am griping.

just making an observation.

But...why is that relevant?

He didn't "come in at 114th place".  There's a reason why the PCC, Rimfire Rifle, Rimfire Pistol, and Centerfire Pistol matches are separate.  People are doing completely different things, so comparing them is foolish.

There wasn't anything about rimfire (or PCC) anything that detracts from centerfire pistol shooting, and there isn't any reason why people shouldn't be allowed to have fun the way they want to have fun---in all divisions.

And people can't exactly argue that "the centerfire divisions are dying, and it isn't a competition anymore" given the fact that new records in all divisions (including centerfire) are continually being made, then broken. 

I guess I'm just not understanding why people are mad at other folks for shooting divisions they enjoy shooting, when they literally don't change anything for any other division.  I mean, the stages haven't changed.  The times haven't been affected (by other divisions).

For the people bemoaning that there were lots of rimfire competitors, could someone tell me what the problem is?  What the Steel Challenge "was meant to be" and how rimfire is somehow taking away from that?

1 hour ago, Thomas H said:

For the people bemoaning that there were lots of rimfire competitors, could someone tell me what the problem is?  What the Steel Challenge "was meant to be" and how rimfire is somehow taking away from that?

Especially given current ammo prices.  Sure, most of these folks reload, but I see a lot of .22 (and shoot a lot of .22) at SCSA matches because price.

I have shot and worked the last three worlds... as far as the rimfire comments yes it has grown tremendously for several reasons... the only negative I see is the listing of combined overall results tend to give some a very false impression of how shooters finished ... of course the rimfires will be at the top.. low ready starts, lack of recoil, ability to practice a lot fairly cheaply ( in normal ammo times ) and yes young eyes, ears, and reflexes  by some of the shooters.  All of us at all ages will be faster with a rimfire... especially a rifle with a optic if you put in the time.

I will say this I have seen those same young shooters now shooting more and more CF from production to open and many of them are doing very well I might add.

You just can not and should not compare CF to rimfire or even PCC  all have a place and are recognized at the awards and BTW ......... KC proved even grown ups can shoot a rimfire fast if they put in the work.... those 5 steel plates are pretty easy to hit............ until you try to go fast :)   Photo for interest

PCCO WSSC 2021.jpg

On 4/18/2021 at 1:16 PM, Chills1994 said:

Thank you!

when ammo is plentiful, i have shot both SS and limited, using the same exact setup. 40 is overkill, but I shoot faster with a trojan 40 at 145pf than with with an sti 9mm at 125 pf. the sights just settle more quickly. For me, it doesn't make sense to put together a dedicated centerfire steel rig, so I always just use the same guns I use for USPSA, which is much more important to me.

I took the 9mm to worlds this time because it simplified the ammo (mrs moto was shooting pcc and CO), but I regretted it. I borrowed her sig legion CO gun as well, to avoid bringing an extra gun (mine is a shadow2, and we were already flying with 2 rifles and 4 pistols). Kinda regretted that too, but for the first time ever shooting her gun, it wasn't as bad as one would have expected.

I do think iron sights centerfire divisions are declining, and I guess I don't really care. I had more fun shooting CO with a borrowed gun than SS, but maybe that's because I'm elderly.

Edited by motosapiens

On 4/17/2021 at 8:13 PM, outerlimits said:

I kinda agree and disagree with this.. Yes several Junior and 20 something shooters are currently dominating the RImfire and PCC divisions... I understand many of them have devoted many, many hours practicing which is awesome... overall times are getting lower and lower and they seem to be pushing others to get there too. Several non Juniors made it into the top 10 in most divisions.. 

I have not looked at the statistics from this past WSSC but feel more Senior and Super Seniors are shooting now than Juniors. I think this has to do with Rimfire Rifles and PCCs being easier to shoot. I know at my local club - many Seniors/Super Seniors are shooting weekly that would not be be shooting if it was mostly a center fire holster only match.

With that said I truly miss the Original Steel Challenge match at Piru where Rimfire pistol was just a side event - however I think USPSA has gotten a lot more shooters into the shooting sport with the current 13 Divisions. It is not the same match and continues to evolve...

Edited by pmd

22 hours ago, Jim O'Young said:

Hey Nolan- You've only seen me shoot a rifle once in a Steel Challenge event, at the 2019 Area 2 when I was testing the Briley Raptor rifle. Life is too short not to shoot Open! 😉

Mike Dalton, of all people, understands how long guns are affecting the growth, direction, focus & financial bottom line of sport. 🤔 Mike, as do I and the other "dinosaurs" who were fortunate to experience the golden years in Piru, also appreciates & respects the origins, history & legacy of what the Steel Challenge was meant to be. 😔

yep, Piru-remember those days.  but it all started at canyon country, Jim.  there are still dinosaurs roaming the range.  

IMG_5330.jpeg

1 hour ago, outerlimits said:

yep, Piru-remember those days.  but it all started at canyon country, Jim.  there are still dinosaurs roaming the range.  

IMG_5330.jpeg

That’s awesome!

somewhere else on the internet, in another thread, somebody posted pics of when they used to do Man vs. Man shoot offs back at Piru.

I am assuming the World Shoot doesn't do that any more????

How did they used to have those Piru Man vs. Man shoot offs set up?

Plate racks?

Poppers?