Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

World Speed Shooting Championships livestream???

Chills1994

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very disappointed in the live stream.  They are only covering three stages and miss most of the shooter's runs.  I watched some on Friday and again Saturday but I only saw two people I know and neither got a shot off on camera.

Does anyone have squading info? Practiscore takes it down once match starts. Would be nice to match up squads with time of day.

I did see Pavlock, Kunkel shoot late today on Roundabout.

I guess most of the open shooters are tomorrow.

1 hour ago, AzShooter said:

Very disappointed in the live stream.  They are only covering three stages and miss most of the shooter's runs.  I watched some on Friday and again Saturday but I only saw two people I know and neither got a shot off on camera.

Same here.

They were showing it like a Shooting USA show.

Guess I will wait till it's on TV

1 hour ago, AzShooter said:

The only ones I have not seen yet are Smoke/Hope and 5ToGo. 

2 hours ago, outerlimits said:

the steel challenge has basically become a rimfire event for teens.

Yeah, I noticed that too.

I did get to see an iron sighted revolver guy have to do a reload during a Smoke and Hope string.

Ouch!

That’s gotta hurt!

Anywhoooo.... it just got to the point where if I saw some shooter walking up to the line and setting a “long gun” bag on the table, I went surfing elsewhere on the internet for a minute or two.

I know.... beggars can’t be choosers, buttttt....

back when the big shoot was in Piru, CA , didn’t they have these big board timer displays that showed the final time for a string?

Those would be nice to show on camera.

1 hour ago, Chills1994 said:

Yeah, I noticed that too.

I did get to see an iron sighted revolver guy have to do a reload during a Smoke and Hope string.

Ouch!

That’s gotta hurt!

Anywhoooo.... it just got to the point where if I saw some shooter walking up to the line and setting a “long gun” bag on the table, I went surfing elsewhere on the internet for a minute or two.

Yep, thank the beard for turning a world class event into the county fair.  Mike & Mike would be puking their guts out seeing what this sh&t show has become. And yes, I shot the challenge from 84 thru around 2001.

8 hours ago, outerlimits said:

Why is that so? Are the kids just quicker? More dedicated? Less mental blocks? 

Edited by Aminoz

9 hours ago, outerlimits said:

Is this a bad thing?  We need the kids for the shooting sports to grow or we lose them.  It's going to take a lot of effort for us older shooters to keep up and to stay motivated to shoot.  Hopefully we won't give up on the sport even if the kids start beating us.  

I noticed one time at 53 seconds for one of the rimfire events.  Unbelievable.  That shooter deserves a lot of credit for their performance.  I can only imagine the amount of practice it took.  I'll even bet a lot of it was from video games.  

9 hours ago, outerlimits said:

Yep, thank the beard for turning a world class event into the county fair.  Mike & Mike would be puking their guts out seeing what this sh&t show has become. And yes, I shot the challenge from 84 thru around 2001.

Yep!

I took the USPSA RO class back in the fall of 2007.  Our instructor for that was also an Area Director.  He was hinting that USPSA HQ had bought another shooting organization.  At that time, the only thing that popped into my head was “USPSA bought IDPA???”

I guess it was some time in 2008 that it was made public that it was the Steel Challenge that had been bought.

My first thought was “Ahhh, crap!  The first thing that will happen is classifications and activity fees.”

Just me personally, I am anti-classification or anti-handicapping.  Just shoot, post the final match results in both overall/combined and then by division.  That’s it.  Fastest to slowest, that’s all you need.

6 hours ago, Aminoz said:

Why is that so? Are the kids just quicker? More dedicated? Less mental blocks? 

My guess.... it’s cheaper.

No brass to pick up either.

If you are a parent, and you have a child or three who want to shoot SC, buying a brick of .22LR is also way more convenient than having to crank the Dillon’s handle for an hour or two.

14 hours ago, Umbrarian said:

Does anyone have squading info? Practiscore takes it down once match starts. Would be nice to match up squads with time of day.

Wouldn't be nice if live stream had that info? As @BritinUSA said, there is a lot of dead air time. They could have used it to show ads and other info about match and competitors. Even live data with results and the current standings. Of course that would require someone actually editing the live stream plus some ahead of time preparation...

The PractiScore website doesn't really take down anything. It's just the link jumps off the registration page. The squadding page is really the same for any match. Just like this:

https://practiscore.com/world-speed-shooting-championship-2021-presented-by-psa/squadding

https://practiscore.com/world-speed-shooting-championship-2021-presented-by-psa/squadding/printhtml

5 hours ago, AzShooter said:

I noticed one time at 53 seconds for one of the rimfire events.  Unbelievable.  That shooter deserves a lot of credit for their performance.  I can only imagine the amount of practice it took.  I'll even bet a lot of it was from video games.  

That was Grant Kunkel, I saw him shoot Pendulum yesterday. It was crazy fast.

I understand why USPSA is using LiveStream in this format, it’s cheap. Set up a camera and let it run, sprinkle a few interviews here and there and it’s done. It could be greatly improved with some effort and some better equipment. This same applies to using it at a USPSA match

1. Two or three cameras operating at the same time, each one on a different stage.
  2. Record the stage run (or runs for SC) for a single competitor.
  3. Upload to a server with a filename that indicates stage number and competitor number.
  4. Software on the server to pull the stage number and competitor number, and pull the score from Practiscore.
  5. Producer to pull in each file and create a chryon with the Stage, Competitor and Score (this could be automated too, I think)
  6. Livestream a host to present the show and introduce each clip,
  7. Stream that video file.
  8. Repeat Steps 2-8

With 2-3 cameras there would be a constant stream of files that a producer/host could select.

The host/producer do not have to be at the range, in fact it’s better if they were remote with a high-speed internet connection to do the stream from. Internet at the range would be adequate to send the video files as they would not be live-streaming from the range.

What the viewer would see on screen is something very similar to golf coverage, lots of back and forth between holes/stages and competitors with a constant stream of action. Short interviews could be recorded between stages using the same camera setup and inserted into the stream, along with commercials from vendors.

All this could be done with existing technology. It just needs the effort and the will to produce it.

7 minutes ago, BritinUSA said:

With 2-3 cameras there would be a constant stream of files that a producer/host could select.

What the viewer would see on screen is something very similar to golf coverage, lots of back and forth between holes/stages and competitors with a constant stream of action. Short interviews could be recorded between stages using the same camera setup and inserted into the stream, along with commercials from vendors.

All this could be done with existing technology. It just needs the effort and the will to produce it.

They are doing this right now.

And they are showing what the world record holders are.  So I gotta ask..... is “SS” single stack 1911’s then?  What’s the difference between that and shooting Limited?  Holster design/placement?

7A15F6B5-3FBA-4E9A-837E-C5E9E949ADFB.jpeg