Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

softest powder for 125gr

chetc

I’m a bit confused reading this. What makes one powder “softer” than another?  Is it burn rate?  I understand heavier Bullets feel softer, but assuming the same bullet across the board, and the same achieved velocity/PF, how can a different powder make a noticeable difference. They all have to get the bullet to the desired velocity in a very short amount of time.  Wouldn’t it be better to just reduce the powder charge even if that means going sub-minor for a while to build up skills/confidence and then increasing the charge slightly over time?  Forgive my ignorance here as I basically only shoot TiteGroup and my only experimentation has been to vary the charge, or OAL. 
Thanks. 

On 4/8/2021 at 8:26 AM, AHI said:

reduce your powder charge.    

Could not have said it better so I will not try….

We (Ms. Sigarmsp226) and I shoot 3.5grs of 231 under our 124 grain 9mm bullets (FMJ and now JHP’s) because of what AHI said - this is the lightest load that I found that works 100% of the time in all of the 9mm weapons (pistols and PPC’s)….We are in our 60’s so we have no reason to sling lead down range at any higher rate of speed than is required and I do not shoot in matches that require minimum power factors. We both shoot steel challenge and I shoot local IDPA matches….and the rest is mainly paper hole punching fun…..

Is my load a soft shooting load - Dang Straight - and it saves me powder with every trigger pull and we all know that right now that is a very good thing……Mark

Edited by Sigarmsp226

7 hours ago, Cuz said:

I’m a bit confused reading this. What makes one powder “softer” than another?  Is it burn rate?  I understand heavier Bullets feel softer, but assuming the same bullet across the board, and the same achieved velocity/PF, how can a different powder make a noticeable difference. They all have to get the bullet to the desired velocity in a very short amount of time.  Wouldn’t it be better to just reduce the powder charge even if that means going sub-minor for a while to build up skills/confidence and then increasing the charge slightly over time?  Forgive my ignorance here as I basically only shoot TiteGroup and my only experimentation has been to vary the charge, or OAL. 
Thanks. 

You are correct. A given bullet loaded to a particular velocity with powder A is going to feel very similar and perhaps identical to that same bullet loaded to the same velocity with powder B.

Especially to new shooters or someone who is recoil sensitive.

Can there be subtle changes that experienced shooters can detect when changing powders? Sure. But the difference is going to be fairly insignificant when compared to just downloading the powder charge. 

Momentum is conserved no matter how hard we try to ignore that fact.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/25/2022 at 9:33 PM, Arcrunner said:

where can I find these? some searching turns up an instagram picrue of some cool purple projectiles. but nowhere to buy them

Well I bought them at Doubletap a couple of years ago.  He was from Oklahoma but they may be out of business.

Here's the info I have but website not responding:

NBReloading.com or call 760-549-3343 Ask for Bryan

Agree N320 load has been pretty soft. 

Brass:  9mm range brass.

- Wet pin tumbled. 

- Mostly FC/blazer headstamps.   
Powder: N320  3.7 grains
Bullets: Pd 124 v1 jhp
OAL: 1.100"
Velocity :

- 1,060 fps average across two carbines with 16 inch barrels 

- TACCOM 5.5 inch barrel, it was 1,010 avg.  

- 977 fps in Sig X5 P320

• 2 weeks later...

I use 3.8gr of Alliant American Select with 124 RMR Match bullets. Very accurate and soft. 135 PF out of Walther SF. I keep several powders for different calibers but non are as accurate or soft as American Select.

Edited by ohsevenflhx

if you are a mid C in uspsa or MM in idpa this is a great load.  N320 3.0 oal 1.145 bullet extreame 165.  in a x5 it chronos 790 to 800fps and can snowman at 10yrds..  VihtaVuori has load data for this bullet.  anyone shooting high C or SS will be ready for a 147 or 135. When you can outrun your trigger reset it is time to look at cycle speed.  

On 11/11/2022 at 6:23 AM, ohsevenflhx said:

I use 3.8gr of Alliant American Select with 124 RMR Match bullets. Very accurate and soft. 135 PF out of Walther SF. I keep several powders for different calibers but non are as accurate or soft as American Select.

3.2g American Select with a 147g Blue bullet works well too. Low es and 133 PF. 

Everyones perception of recoil impulse is different, so asking whats the "softest" powder is extremely subjective..  You need to do the work yourself and experiment different powders.  Some swear by N320, WST, Clean Shot,  and the list goes on...  You'll need to become a mad scientist in this game :)