Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

softest powder for 125gr

chetc

been loading alot 9mm 125 rn coated lately, my wife has been saying the loads are quite snappy with titegroup and sport pistol, i have alot of other powders to try, any suggestions, she is shooting a walthers PPQ and the new S&W shield 9mm ez slide.  i do have alot of other 9mm weights also, 115, 135, 147 and 165, but would like to stay with the 125 coated.

chet

Try 3.3 Sport Pistol with the 147's, won't be as snappy as the 124's. only other powder I can think of that may feel softer with 124's would be Solo 1000 but if power factor is a concern it may not be for you PF will  be around 125 or less.

The softest feeling recoil impulse will be with heavy bullets.  The supposed reason is that they accelerate slower because they don't have to reach the same speeds as lighter bullets - especially for the same power factor.

An alternative is to simply load the 125 grain bullets to a lower speed. 

3 hours ago, echotango said:

I like w231. A lot softer than tg. I'll never use tg again. I load a 125gr blue with 3.9gr w231 for 130pf. 

Yep, 231 is soft, Titegroup is violent and dirty.

Since the weight of the charge is included in recoil calculations, going to a slower powder requiring more weight to make the same velocity will actually increase recoil.  I will 'feel' a bit softer because the recoil impulse is spread over a slightly longer time.  If you decrease the slow powder charge to make it 'feel' softer yet, it runs dirty and inconsistent.

Moving up the projectile weight scale softens recoil for the same PF.  The disadvantage is the sights don't return as quickly.  That is not an issue for Steel Challenge, but may be for USPSA.  The 3.3gr SP load mentioned above (I use 3.2) with a 147 is a really good load, makes PF and feels good.  I also like Alliant e3 for that.  It is a tad snappier, but burns a little cleaner at low charge weights.

Another thing you can do to reduce recoil is to add weight to the gun.

Hello, You can try some Clean Shot. It is a softer than Tite Group and accurate enough for USPSA. Burns clean and does not smoke as bad as some other powders. I like Tite Group as well for 9mm and 40 S&W. My plated 124grain load is 3.9 grains Clean Shot, WSP primers and a 1.135" OAL for a G17. It gives me 129PF at 70 degrees. Try some of your 135 grain bullets since they will feel softer but still be quick back on target. Thanks, Eric

1 hour ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello, You can try some Clean Shot. It is a softer than Tite Group and accurate enough for USPSA. Burns clean and does not smoke as bad as some other powders. I like Tite Group as well for 9mm and 40 S&W. My plated 124grain load is 3.9 grains Clean Shot, WSP primers and a 1.135" OAL for a G17. It gives me 129PF at 70 degrees. Try some of your 135 grain bullets since they will feel softer but still be quick back on target. Thanks, Eric

HOLA my favorite bullet for 9 mm minor is the 135gr, a good reduction in recoil from the 125gr, the 147gr seem sluggish, you stand there waiting on the slide to cycle, seems like it anyway.   IMHO TiteGroup is harsh, nasty, and hot, but it might slightly edge out 231/WST which don't over heat the gun, and don't coat it in gunk.  My go to powder for 9 mm minor is N320, it even smells good.  IMR 7625 was my favorite but they quit making it.  I tried Clays, yes I like to live dangerous, it was like shooting mouse fart loads, way low on recoil, but I gave it up because the accuracy was horrible. 

I don't know about cherrypicking powders, I have been loading mostly HP38 for years with no worries.

The first thing I would do for her is just to put in less; find the lightest load that will cycle the guns.

I once got a Sig P225 down to 81% of maximum for a novice.

7 hours ago, CocoBolo said:

HOLA my favorite bullet for 9 mm minor is the 135gr, a good reduction in recoil from the 125gr, the 147gr seem sluggish, you stand there waiting on the slide to cycle, seems like it anyway.   IMHO TiteGroup is harsh, nasty, and hot, but it might slightly edge out 231/WST which don't over heat the gun, and don't coat it in gunk.  My go to powder for 9 mm minor is N320, it even smells good.  IMR 7625 was my favorite but they quit making it.  I tried Clays, yes I like to live dangerous, it was like shooting mouse fart loads, way low on recoil, but I gave it up because the accuracy was horrible. 

This is the same approach I came to believe in, 147g seem slow and sling shoty to me. 135g are great in between and work well with in soft loads. Im running WST and Competition, using very little I must say.   

On 4/8/2021 at 2:23 AM, ysrracer said:

Yep, 231 is soft, Titegroup is violent and dirty.

Violent? lol.

I can't believe the $hit that some people make up.

Edited by 4n2t0

Is she just plinking? just lower the charge & put in a weaker recoil spring in the PPQ

If she's using her EZ 9 for self defense, she may as well get used to shooting standard 9mm loads.

Self defense ammo is going to be snappy in the EZ 9 anyways.

9 hours ago, ysrracer said:

More recoil? Happy now? Eh?

Stop mindlessly regurgitating crap you read on the internet and start thinking for yourself, eh!

Edited by 4n2t0

• 2 months later...

Also consider a softer bullet.  Brinell 12 will obdurate (seal in the barrel) with less pressure.  Then the older slower powders Unique and BUlleye.  But we've also had good luck  with Titegroup.

I have some 115 g 9MM that I can send you for testing.