Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA Primafill - Interesting New Option

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got my Primafill today as well.  I only got to try it on Win SRP, but it worked well on those, with the same comment about the straight primer flip line texture mentioned above.  Not a deal breaker, but I think would have been way better with circles or at least "concentric" squares like other flippers.  Hopefully it works well on the other primer sizes as well.

• 4 weeks later...

So I got my primmer tube filler/small tubes combo pack plus an extra 15

tubes cuz I am anal that way and like stuff to match.  This thing worked great . Once you find the angle to hold it at . The trick is to not angle all the primers at the tube but keep a steady line going into the tube. I filled ten tubes in about the time I would have picked up 2 tubes the old way. 

On 10/6/2020 at 11:35 AM, ltdmstr said:

PAL for the win!  Excellent build quality and flawless function.  By far the best solution out there unless you want to spend big $$ for a commercial unit.

Very happy with mine, just wish it had a little bit larger tray to accommodate the grossly oversized Federal primer packs.

6 hours ago, jubi351 said:

Very happy with mine, just wish it had a little bit larger tray to accommodate the grossly oversized Federal primer packs.

I just pour federal in my hand then drop them in the tray

I tried the Vibra-Prime last year and couldn't get it to work worth squat even after watching all the videos and following everybody's suggestions.  Finally sent it back for a refund, which Grafs obliged willingly.  This past spring I ordered the Primer Pro collator.  It works as advertised with both CCI and Ginex primers, although it may be a little slower than Saul shows in the video.  Still, it will fill a tube faster than I can empty one which is all that matters.  I've got 10 tubes but in reality you only need one with the Primer Pro.  It is a little noisy, but so is my 1050 with the case feeder and bullet feeder so it just adds to the cacophony of reloading music!  I'm have no complaints with the Primer Pro but if I had it to do over again today, I'd probably try the new Primafill just because it's a lot less money.  Like others, I had unsuccessfully searched in the past for the PAL and was under the impression it was no longer made.  Good to know!

• 2 weeks later...

Not that happy with mine. The ridges that flip the primers are too course and you need to get pretty aggressive to move the ones up the wrong way. This of course upsets the ones that are the right way up so you never seem to get then all the right way. So you end up flipping then with your fingers. Bloody painful after you’ve spent good money to speed up this process.  Both my Lee and RCBS flip trays work very well compared to this. 

But......once the primers are all ready and you get the lid on, this thing does fill tubes pretty quickly once you play with it and refine the technique. 

Edited by McHaggis

My Vibraprime was very problematic with different brands of primers, especially Winchester. So, before tossing it in the bin I thought that I would hack at it and see if I could get it working reliably.

The main problem seemed to be the interface between the tray and the drop tube, where primers would tilt or catch.
So, I cut off the top part of the drop tube plastic fitting, leaving only a plastic collar and flat surface.
This collar was pushed down the tube a little and a Dillon end cap from a primer tube was pushed onto the tube.
I adjusted the hole in the grip for a snug fit for the Dillon end cap.

To make the height of the drop tube adjustable I removed a section of the collar and screwed a flat screw into the base of the grip. To insert a tube I simply push it up into the grip and turn slightly to catch the collar on the adjusting screw.

It has worked so well that I have not gone back and made it more photogenic. The screw and collar are easily fine tuned to hold the Dillon plastic fitting flush with the bottom of the tray and primers flow into the tube like liquid. If I want to adjust the tube height I simply screw in/out a little. This happens if I need to switch primer brands, as the tube height seems to make all the difference. It was a simple and quick fix and it turned the cranky Vibraprime into a fast and reliable filler.

20201117_081407.jpg

20201117_081021.jpg

20201117_080946.jpg

Edited by DownUnder

A lot of people just pull the yellow pickup fitting off of the Dillon tube and stick the bare Dillon tube into the Vibraprime. Either fill it up and go to the press or cap it with the yellow fitting and get the next tube and repeat.

Very straightforward.

Removes the Vibraprime specific tube and that black fitting from the equation.

Edited by ddc

On 11/16/2020 at 4:56 AM, McHaggis said:

Not that happy with mine. The ridges that flip the primers are too course and you need to get pretty aggressive to move the ones up the wrong way. This of course upsets the ones that are the right way up so you never seem to get then all the right way. So you end up flipping then with your fingers. Bloody painful after you’ve spent good money to speed up this process.  Both my Lee and RCBS flip trays work very well compared to this. 

But......once the primers are all ready and you get the lid on, this thing does fill tubes pretty quickly once you play with it and refine the technique. 

The more I use mine, the more I like it.  You kind of get a knack for flipping the primers over with the aggressive lines the more you use it. 

16 hours ago, ddc said:

A lot of people just pull the yellow pickup fitting off of the Dillon tube and stick the bare Dillon tube into the Vibraprime. Either fill it up and go to the press or cap it with the yellow fitting and get the next tube and repeat.

Very straightforward.

Removes the Vibraprime specific tube and that black fitting from the equation.

I do the same with the DAA unit, just take off the yellow fitting and stick it in the prima fill.

With the Vibraprime I've found that keeping the tray clean is important.

Also keep the batteries fresh.

It will continue to operate as the batteries discharge but hangups will occur more frequently.

A fresh set of batteries, a clean tray, slick as snot.

I don't know if the same will be true of the DAA unit but something to keep in mind.

Got mine Thursday. Fill tubes in less than 10 seconds. Only complaint is the straight lines to flip primers. Rcbs tray with circles flips primers easy. Daa doesn’t. Should’ve went with the circles. But gotta say after flipping with finger it’s fills them quickly. Just sucks having to do that. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been mucking around with mine and it's a lot better now.  I'm using Fiocchi Small Pistol Primers and trying to get them all up the right way has proved near impossible.  I sprayed the tray of mine (the bit with the ridges) with dry lube and then tried again.  I got 49 out of 50 up the right way 1st time and it just works better now.  Seems the "rubber-ish" surface grabbed the primer cups and this caused them to flip over rather then slide over the ridges.

A huge improvement and now I'm mostly happy with it.  Just saying....

• 4 weeks later...