Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Texas Star - order

Stafford

Probably going to see a Texas Star this weekend. I've attempted a star one time previously and didn't do well. I've watched a couple of videos online and it looks as if shooting a top plate and letting the next one come to you works pretty well.

Does anyone have an order that works well?

Safe way is head, arms, legs. Aka top to bottom. If you're reasonably skilled shoot too down to a lower corner and ambush them as they spin into your sights.

Edited by rowdyb

Much depends on skill level 

For a beginner just start at the top and always shoot the highest plate, so head, hand, hand, foot, foot. 

Pretty much everyone else,  pic a side and go head, hand, foot, foot, hand, the plates rotate around and come to you go and you just keep shooting the next plate in line, don't skip plates just shoot the next one in line, very little transition needed and the risk of setting the thing spinning fast is low. 

Oddly the fastest way is back to the beginning, head, hand, hand, foot, foot, but because of the larger transitions if your shooting aggressively and miss a plate and hit the next one you can end up with a very un-balanced star that is turning very quickly,  this ups the risk factor for very little gain in time so risk vs reward becomes a bigger issue.

2 hours ago, Stafford said:

Probably going to see a Texas Star this weekend. I've attempted a star one time previously and didn't do well. I've watched a couple of videos online and it looks as if shooting a top plate and letting the next one come to you works pretty well.

Does anyone have an order that works well?

If you do a quick search you’ll find many threads on this very topic.

i start at top, then 2:00 then it starts spinning counter-clockwise and i pretty much keep aiming in the 2-5:00 area and let the plates come to me.  if you're an exceptional shooter, i think head, arms and then feet is faster but higher risk/miss factor.  it really isn't that hard of a target (i look forward to them now) so don't get psyched out, and don't forget trigger control and that front sight.

I usually go head then witch ever next plate is highest and work my way down that side usually ending up near the bottom on the opposite side. If by chance the head is perfectly centered I work my way clockwise.

Just for fun and the challenge, sometimes I will start with the lowest most plate. The trick there is to be quick to the next plate that's doing the work before it starts spinning too fast. If it does just wait for it to get to its apex and shoot it when it stops. Its good practice for those deviate stage designers who hide the star behind no shoots so you can only see the low hanging fruit.

for a beginner top right left right right or top left right right right

for more skilled- top right left right left before the star can move

alot of it depends if part of the star is hidden or not. sometimes you might be forced to wait for the plates to rotate into your view based on hard cover hiding some of it

I still remember the very first time I ever saw a Texas star.

Didn't watch anyone shoot it - just bumped into it and

started shooting without any time to think about it.

My split second decision was to start at The BOTTOM -

WOW     It became very obvious that was a mistake.

Those plates started spinning and it took me a LOT

of ammo and time to pick off the rest of them.

Very embarrassing  ...

Listen to the advice above - start at the top !!!

4 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I still remember the very first time I ever saw a Texas star.

Didn't watch anyone shoot it - just bumped into it and

started shooting without any time to think about it.

My split second decision was to start at The BOTTOM -

WOW     It became very obvious that was a mistake.

Those plates started spinning and it took me a LOT

of ammo and time to pick off the rest of them.

Very embarrassing  ...

Listen to the advice above - start at the top !!!

I mean...if your fast enough you can start at the bottom.....maybe it was operator error 🤔 

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I'm just kidding of course 

Might have been my first or second USPSA match shooting limited was the first time I saw one and a "buddy" who is a GM told me how to shoot it. I can't remember the exact order, but something like bottom left, top right, bottom right, top left, etc.  He said if you shot it fast enough it would not move. Sounded logical. Started spinning like a prop on a P51. After a couple of mags I finally knocked them all off. Between all on my squad cracking up laughing the joke was on me. Being a friendly local match they told me afterward how to actually shoot it and gave me a reshoot.

gerritm🤣😂

19 hours ago, gerritm said:

Might have been my first or second USPSA match shooting limited was the first time I saw one and a "buddy" who is a GM told me how to shoot it. I can't remember the exact order, but something like bottom left, top right, bottom right, top left, etc.  He said if you shot it fast enough it would not move. Sounded logical. Started spinning like a prop on a P51. After a couple of mags I finally knocked them all off. Between all on my squad cracking up laughing the joke was on me. Being a friendly local match they told me afterward how to actually shoot it and gave me a reshoot.

gerritm🤣😂

LOL  I can see that happening with the people we shoot with ! LOL

22 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

I mean...if your fast enough you can start at the bottom.....maybe it was operator error 🤔 

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I'm just kidding of course 

You don't have to try to be sensitive about it.  

You were right about the Operator Error - all  Mine.

It was all error, but the last time I made that mistake.   :) 

7 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

You don't have to try to be sensitive about it.  

You were right about the Operator Error - all  Mine.

It was all error, but the last time I made that mistake.   :) 

sometimes people get too up in their feelings and get offended by the things i say.. so i always make sure to make it clear that im joking

its a hold over from working years of s#!tty jobs that would fire you for next to nothing