Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA Dry Fire Magazines

J_Allen

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Gene_WI said:

I bought a couple 2011 mags to test. These things are awsome. Only minor neat pick is the weight, these should be a tad heavier.

Totally agree!  They're great, but definitely a little lighter than I would like.  Overall though, I'd say I'm happy with them.

• 4 weeks later...

Update. I have 2 new Open  guns with Cheely Extra Wide frames, Cheely grips, and the 2011 dry fire mags don’t seat or drop free. They work fine in my backup open gun which is an STI frame with a Cheely grip. I guess my advice is to try one before you buy like 8 of them. 😂

4 hours ago, Silverscooby27 said:

Update. I have 2 new Open  guns with Cheely Extra Wide frames, Cheely grips, and the 2011 dry fire mags don’t seat or drop free. They work fine in my backup open gun which is an STI frame with a Cheely grip. I guess my advice is to try one before you buy like 8 of them. 😂

That's interesting.  I don't have the wide frame, but I do have a Cheely grip with their standard open frame, and I don't have any issues with the two mags I bought.

Yes I don’t really know why and haven’t taken the time/don’t care enough to investigate, but was hoping someone would chime in who might have observed the same thing. 😁 I don’t think it is the grips that are the issue, I have the same grips on two guns, one works, one doesn’t. The guns that don’t work have Cheely extra wide frames and infinity triggers. Maybe one of those is the reason. Otherwise, it’s back to spending a bunch of time loading dummy rounds. Oh well. 

• 9 months later...

Word to the wise: I’ve been using these mags exclusively for about five months now, and while they work great and are very convenient, they can also be deceptively easy to handle.  I use MBX mags exclusively in my 2011, and the plastic DAA mags seem to slide out of my pouches with much less force and also insert much easier than MBX.  I didn’t realize that this was an issue until recently when I was actually doing some live fire reload drills and found that my shot to shot reload times were significantly slower than I thought.  

In fact, I felt like I needed a slightly different technique for using real mags than I did the DAA mags.  I mean, they’re great for adding a realistic amount of weight for draws and gun handling and all that, but I would make sure that you mix in real mags with dummy rounds when you’re practicing reloads.

I've been using two of these for dryfire for about a year.

The red follower part broke off a month or so one and I had one split in half this morning. The garage floor I dryfire on is concrete.

So $20 for about a year of daily dryfire. Jeez, has it been that long already.

On 4/25/2020 at 6:16 PM, Silverscooby27 said:

I would argue for 140mm Glock mags because Glocks are more popular in carry optics than production anymore.

I would argue for a dummy mag with the ability to accept basepads or extensions. That way I only need one set, when CO practicing, just add extensions.

On 5/14/2021 at 1:58 PM, uhmeebuh said:

I bought the P320 mags...and they would have been great if they were setup to be a 21 rounder.  BUT they were 17 rounders which isn't the length most of us would use... 

I added epoxy to mimic 17+5 TTI basepads. Not pretty but they feel like the real thing. Did it with open mags also to match 155 mags. 

On 5/16/2021 at 11:09 AM, echotango said:

I added epoxy to mimic 17+5 TTI basepads. Not pretty but they feel like the real thing. Did it with open mags also to match 155 mags. 

Interesting.  Could you explain how you did this?

16 hours ago, echotango said:

I used jb plastic weld and made a mold out of cardboard.  Not pretty but works.  

thumbnail.jpg

Very cool - I ended up asking a buddy to make some dummy rounds and use the TRT Tap Rack thingie so they don't strip the rounds out.  So, it IS the exact same as my actual mags but I would have preferred the DAA mags just be a bit longer...

I had picked up a couple for both USPSA and IDPA practice, as I shoot a 2011 in both.  With a speed reload, not issues.  But with a slide lock reload, if you aggressively insert the mag to seat completely, the slide release is next to impossible to release.  I have to rack the slide to release it.  Using a STI Tactical 4.0 with stock plastic grip and Dawson mag release.