Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA Dry Fire Magazines

J_Allen

I can see using these as a starting mag to drop on the floor without worrying as much about the mag or your floor, and to add some weight to the gun to practice draws. Hopefully, especially with 2011, you will be able to rack the slide keeping the mag in because I find that it is a big waste of time to take the mag out, rack for the first shot, and reinsert the mag every time. There are dummy type rounds that attempt to allow this, however none that I have tried work with MBX mags in my 2011s. I feel they may be useful for reloads particularly if you are trying to reduce wear and tear on the magwell and your mags, but I also think it is useful to get used to the feel of using a real mag loaded all the way up to train yourself to the feel of really seating the mag in, and the weight, etc., This is especially true if you reload to 155 mags. These look like 140 length, so the weight probably still won’t be quite right if you start with 170 mags, and reload to 155s for example. Hopefully the weight is realistic for a 140 mm mag.

I still think it’s interesting, though, and plan to buy at least 2 of these to try.

I agree with more realistic versions of the mags, and hopefully revision two will include 140mm Glock, Sig, and CZ mags, and 170mm 2011 mags. 

These mags do not lock back according to the DAA website so that should solve your problem.

I've always selected one mag as a dry fire mag.  Those mags are usually beaten up that I would never use them in live fire.

The weight of the 2011 mag was around 300g according to their video.  I weighed my 140mm practice mag with dummies and it's 425g.  My empty 140mm weighs 120g.  It's not quite the same weight but it would be close enough for dry fire.  I think it would be very difficult to get the exact weight down.

If you are looking for a way to rack the slide on your magazines, you can use a rack buddy on top.  I really like this for dry fire as my dummy rounds have a tendency of getting beaten up.  Shooters Connection now carries the rack buddy.

That's weird.  It works in the regular STI mags.  Is there something different about the MBX mags?  Maybe get a sacrificial STI mag for practice instead of the more expensive MBX.  I'm just using a gen 1 STI mag for practice.

I reckon maybe the version 2 would have an adjustable metal weights so you can tune it.  It may not be 100% right but should be able to get close enough.

9 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Why on earth did they put a factory style +2 on the Glock mag? I have never seen anyone run that basepad. 

Agree - keep the Glock mags production length. 

30 minutes ago, IPSCLUVERRR said:

I see this item as a solution for a problem that doesn’t exist. 

They are not that expensive, and for 2011 practice I think it’s a great idea. 
1 - 2011 mags are $$$ and the feed lips can loosen up with dry fire abuse.

2 - The weight might not be exact, but it’s better than empty mags. If you want to make your mags weight more, then you are making dummy rounds. Let’s say you make up a couple mags worth, now you’ve paid $20 for components.

3 - I know others will chime in that they are safe with their dummy rounds, but this does help keep Live ammo away from your dry fire.

So it may not be for everyone, but I think that argument is mostly financially based. If they were free then most would agree it’s a great idea. So at what cost do the above benefits out weight the cost. I think DAA has them priced competitively.

Edited by J_Allen
Just expanding on reasons I think they are good.

47 minutes ago, Silverscooby27 said:

I would argue for 140mm Glock mags because Glocks are more popular in carry optics than production anymore.

As well as for the P320, the X5/Legion is one of the most common CO guns there is.  

20 hours ago, Silverscooby27 said:

I would argue for 140mm Glock mags because Glocks are more popular in carry optics than production anymore.

That’s a great point. I was thinking more about expanding into the tactical, or non-competitive market.

1 hour ago, gator11 said:

Every time I check there website they say out of stock. Anyone know of a place that actually has them to purchase or preorder? 

They aren't shipping yet.  Scheduled to start shipping 5/15 from a pop-up window I saw.

19 hours ago, AustinWolv said:

They aren't shipping yet.  Scheduled to start shipping 5/15 from a pop-up window I saw.

The date comes up when you select a magazine first. I bet each type magazine has a different ship date.

On 4/28/2020 at 7:03 AM, gator11 said:

Every time I check there website they say out of stock. Anyone know of a place that actually has them to purchase or preorder? 

This is typically DAA mo, sell before available 

These mags do not lock back according to the DAA website so that should solve your problem.

I've always selected one mag as a dry fire mag.  Those mags are usually beaten up that I would never use them in live fire.

The weight of the 2011 mag was around 300g according to their video.  I weighed my 140mm practice mag with dummies and it's 425g.  My empty 140mm weighs 120g.  It's not quite the same weight but it would be close enough for dry fire.  I think it would be very difficult to get the exact weight down.

If you are looking for a way to rack the slide on your magazines, you can use a rack buddy on top.  I really like this for dry fire as my dummy rounds have a tendency of getting beaten up.  Shooters Connection now carries the rack buddy.

Being that they are dummy mags, and look like they are solid plastic, you could likely just drill a hole in the bottom and and glue in some lead shot or fishing sinkers that would increase the weight equivalent to your loaded mag weight. My guess is that they did not consider weight much because mags are dropped without being empty and they wanted to compromise between the empty weight and full weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are 

3 hours ago, usmc1977 said:

Being that they are dummy mags, and look like they are solid plastic, you could likely just drill a hole in the bottom and and glue in some lead shot or fishing sinkers that would increase the weight equivalent to your loaded mag weight. My guess is that they did not consider weight much because mags are dropped without being empty and they wanted to compromise between the empty weight and full weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This would make sense. You don't drop full mags but you don't reload empty ones. A mid point seems like the a fair solution.

These are available for preorder currently if anyone's interested.