Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super GP100 Out in 9mm

RangerMcFadden

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like they used the same frame as the 38/35.  Really odd looking with the super long forcing cone/short 9x19 cylinder.  At least they see a market large enough to bring this to fruition.

i did hear that the 9mm will be a more competitive gun to shoot.  Something about less mass in the cylinder.... I probably wouldn’t notice unless I’ve put 1-2m rounds down range like a few here.

4 hours ago, PatJones said:

Ruger triggers don't clean up as well as Smith & Wessons.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I just finished my GP100 and while it is 1 lb heavier it feels as good (6 1/2 vs 5 1/2 lbs), if not better than my S&W's.  Haven't shot it enough yet to verify it's reliability, but lit off a couple of cylinder fulls.

Edited by pskys2

6 hours ago, cas said:

Do you think you could easily/quickly operate the cylinder latch with a shooting grip? (for a weak hand reload).    I've never tried.

Hope I understood the question....

I'm sure you need to take the hand off of the grip anyway, with any revolver, for a lefty reload. Otherwise the hand is in the way of the new load - and even ejection.

Trying with my regular GP100, you can easily reach the latch with a left index finger knuckle: that gives better leverage than fingertip. The right hand will be there pushing the cylinder open and holding it for the reload.

-------------------------------

edit:

If you mean holding the revolver in the right hand, the thumb will come back from the grip and press the latch in - instead of coming back from the grip and pushing the latch forward, like on a S&W. The thumb needs to stay out of the way of ejection and the new load.

I recall there have been extended cylinder release buttons for Rugers. I don't remember who made them.

Edited by perttime

On 1/2/2020 at 3:41 AM, perttime said:

If you mean holding the revolver in the right hand, the thumb will come back from the grip and press the latch in - instead of coming back from the grip and pushing the latch forward, like on a S&W.

That's my point/question. You'd kind of be pressing it in with the side of your thumb and I'm wondering if that's doable. 

1 hour ago, cas said:

That's my point/question. You'd kind of be pressing it in with the side of your thumb and I'm wondering if that's doable. 

I can press it in OK, with the thumb. I forget which part of the thumb.

I have a GP100, not the Redhawk though, and yes it is such that pushing ones thumb forward will trigger the latch.  The latch actually has a pivot point at the front and a good sized bump for the latch, so pushing in or forward works.  It is much easier than I thought it would be.  The only problem is it's small and not extended.  So my thumb won't reach without shifting my grip.  There is an extended aftermarket unit made, just don't know by who.

Edited by pskys2

1 hour ago, cas said:

I have a GP100, not the Redhawk though, and yes it is such that pushing ones thumb forward will trigger the latch.  The latch actually has a pivot point at the front and a good sized bump for the latch, so pushing in or forward works.  It is much easier than I thought it would be.  The only problem is it's small and not extended.  So my thumb won't reach without shifting my grip.  There is an extended aftermarket unit made, just don't know by who.

14 minutes ago, Alaskan454 said:

I've settled on using my support thumb to trigger the latch and pop the cylinder open with my strong hand pointer finger.  I can assure you that it's worth trying.

Some of us use that technique on S&W's😲

Works on Colts also and Ruger like you mentioned.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Heard from a reliable source the New Super GP100 in 9mm has a few issues, first are tight chambers that require reaming or polishing for reliable loading and unloading, second appears to be tight headspacing that results in cases rubbing on the framer, one frame reportedly needed to be filed to square it up. Can anyonethat is an A shooter or better offer an unbiased review of the new Ruger? I have several friends that want one but need more input before buying one. 

357454: Within couple of months I received my new 929 back from David Olhasso with his competition package and then bought a new Ruger Super GP1009mm. I have been shooting for quite awhile not rated but used to be a Tool and Die Maker. The chambers are tighter on the GP believe they are true 9mm chambers compared to the 929 depth from ejector GP .670/929

.710  At chamber throat step GP.381/929.385  throat on GP .3585  the barrel on the GP, my 38 357 range rod will pass down the barrel the throats and barrel line up nice using the rod. That’s fine with me since I can shoot .358 bullets on both. I have not had a headspace problem on the GP. As far as loads go if you use .355 to .356 bullets your fine but I am shooting .358 poly and .357 jhp in the GP. Loads pretty good with .357jhp but .358 poly bullets I have to use 105/115/125 grain loaded kinda short with good crimp and have no problem smooth loading with TK moons both revos use the same. I cannot load my 160 grain poly bullets that fit the 929 since tighter chambers, I will probably have the chambers cut a bit looser down the road. On the GP added bigbutt grip bobbed hammer and did a trigger job myself on digital Lyman got 5lb8oz 8 pull average. I polished and shimmed the trigger components. Used other springs that I ground down a bit with my lathe and mandrel. I can light off seated federals but not  winchester. The pull is around .100 longer than the 929 measured bottom tip of trigger. The GP Trigger is very smooth feels light but bit longer. The trigger that Dave did on the 929 just makes me smile its fantastic his competition job is wonderful. I really like the GP I think it is a great value, course at this time it doesn’t have numerous after market performance parts as the 929 but with just a few cheap additions that I did myself I am enjoying it.