Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super GP100 Out in 9mm

RangerMcFadden

25 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Anybody know of a revolversmith that is set up to do this for 9mm?

Ruger basically told me to pack sand (but were polite about it). TK custom would hone & polish but not cut. 

Call TK Custom they might do it and try Pinnacle Custom. I can’t remember the place but it is some where in Texas I had a Ruger 45LC that all the chambers were different and he cut them all to the same. If I think 🤔 of the name I will send it to you 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just received this from Dave Olhasso.  

On Apr 6, 2020, at 12:48 PM, David Olhasso wrote:
Hi,

I am actually in the process of having a specific cutter made by Manson Precision to adjust the new Ruger chambers to very closely resemble the chambers of your your s&w 9mm revolvers. It will be a couple of weeks till I have the cutter, but the end result will be a very repeatable process that should allow identical ammo between both gun and allow the Ruger to run .358 lead/coated bullets.

I will keep you informed.

-dave

3 minutes ago, CMason5859 said:

I have them same issue with mine.

My ammo for my 929 will not drop all the way in.

Really don't want to load different ammo just for the Ruger.

If I was in a hurry I would not hesitate to send my cylinder to Pinnacle. I am not so I think I will wait for Mr.Olhasso to get the cutter.

Any idea what are the throats running on these?  ( I ask that knowing full well from experiance they may start out right in the first runs and then go wonky after time) Wondering if it's a chamber issue or just a throating issue.

As many of you probably know, Ruger has a loooong history of undersized throats. But especially on rimless cartridges I guess because it aids headspacing. (their 30 Carbine throats can be absolutely tiny! Seen them as small as .305")  Though most of the .357" guns I worked on weren't bad really. I know I was sent a couple 9mm SP-101's years ago, but it was so long ago I can't recall if I did anything to them or not. 

• 1 month later...

From Dave Olhasso today:

On Jun 1, 2020, at 1:07 PM, David Olhasso wrote:

In short, the cutter I had built works perfectly. I re-cut the chambers of a brand new cylinder and was able to shoot coated .358 bullets with no issues. I tested the below loaded ammo with no issues.

.358 160 gr, bang and clang, 1.182oal
.358 105gr, bayou. (loaded to bare minimum)

Important: After modification, you MUST use a moon clip. Depending on the crane length, cylinder bushings and the b/c gap, you will likely need to use .035 or .040 moon clips.

Price to re-cut chambers of a cylinder: $85. Return shipping is $15 for a cylinder.

-Dave

I just mailed in my cylinder - Also sent in the hammer, Dave wrote that he has not settled on a best hammer cut but he always bobs the spurs on his own GP100's

On 4/12/2020 at 12:26 PM, cas said:

Any idea what are the throats running on these?  ( I ask that knowing full well from experiance they may start out right in the first runs and then go wonky after time) Wondering if it's a chamber issue or just a throating issue.

As many of you probably know, Ruger has a loooong history of undersized throats. But especially on rimless cartridges I guess because it aids headspacing. (their 30 Carbine throats can be absolutely tiny! Seen them as small as .305")  Though most of the .357" guns I worked on weren't bad really. I know I was sent a couple 9mm SP-101's years ago, but it was so long ago I can't recall if I did anything to them or not. 

The feedback I'm getting is that the chambers are to SAAMI spec but really tight.  OK if everything is perfect but not the best setup for a big match.

1 hour ago, GMM50 said:

The feedback I'm getting is that the chambers are to SAAMI spec but really tight.  OK if everything is perfect but not the best setup for a big match.

There seems to be a whole lot of tolerance in SAAMI specs, to the point where it makes sense that "in specification" does not tell you if your gun will work with your ammo. I'm going to guess that my 929 would also measure as within spec, even though the Ruger refuses ammo that the 929 accepts. 

saami9mm.thumb.jpg.9375f8f8893cf76113ca3c489d86a689.jpg

21 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

There seems to be a whole lot of tolerance in SAAMI specs, to the point where it makes sense that "in specification" does not tell you if your gun will work with your ammo. I'm going to guess that my 929 would also measure as within spec, even though the Ruger refuses ammo that the 929 accepts. 

saami9mm.thumb.jpg.9375f8f8893cf76113ca3c489d86a689.jpg

The red circled portion of the diagram , to me just proves that it is an urban legend that "all" of the semi-auto pundants espouse that the case headspaces off the case mouth. Can you say extractor?

17 minutes ago, mchapman said:

The red circled portion of the diagram , to me just proves that it is an urban legend that "all" of the semi-auto pundants espouse that the case headspaces off the case mouth. Can you say extractor?

Can you say most extractors (every one I have ever looked at but I am willing to accept there is some weird gun out there) have well more than ten thousandths clearance on the extractor groove.