Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FTP Alpha3 optic experiences

vgdvc

2 hours ago, JDIllon said:

Just got back from the range. The sight is really nice to use! The extra height makes it really easy to pick up the dot.

Forgot to mention! Love the 8 moa dot!, 

Edited by JDIllon

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a consensus on the FTP versus the Romeo 3 Max or XL?  I'm running Max's on my open guns.  I'm happy with them for the most part, but always willing to try something new.

17 minutes ago, clw42 said:

Is there a consensus on the FTP versus the Romeo 3 Max or XL?  I'm running Max's on my open guns.  I'm happy with them for the most part, but always willing to try something new.

FTP seems like pretty much the same optic, with a smaller window than the R3XL. However it’s also at a significantly lower price point. And comes in 8MOA if that’s your thing. 

How would it compare to the Delta Optical Stryker, seems almost identical, but available here in Europe; https://prohunt.eu/product/delta-optical-stryker-8-moa/

3 hours ago, o27 said:

How would it compare to the Delta Optical Stryker, seems almost identical, but available here in Europe; https://prohunt.eu/product/delta-optical-stryker-8-moa/

That optic is made by the same factory that makes the ftp, Romeo 3 and many others… All the variations have a very similar optic body and I would assume similar electronic internals.  The major difference is window shape, size and glass are made to different specs.

Edited by Rich406

Thanks👍 maybe some coating differences, other wise, size, window size etc. are similar. But this one actually comes with 5 yrs/60 months warranty - pretty nice if custome service is up there

Edited by o27

The optics can all be manufacturered to the specs of the dealer so there will be variances as mentioned in glass quality, coatings, emitter programming, bodies etc.  The largest difference most people will spot is the glass itself which has a huge range in costs and an area that many dealers will cut corners to reduce cost.  We use the highest quality glass available with the best coating.  We also have the optics programmed for competition use which optimizes brightness levels.

Also, there are chinese clones on the market that look like popular optics but do not have the same internals.

Well, it had to happen eventually I guess - gun fell out of my holster during the last match.  Fortunately it was after the COF and I wasn't DQed, but I was very concerned about the gun itself and especially the optic.  Well, I turned the FTP back on and the emitter is working fine, and the glass doesn't even have a scratch on it!  Looks like the durability is pretty good 😀

Just ordered a 6 MOA.  Looking forward to receiving it.  If I like it better than the Max, then the max will go on a rifle.  If not, then the FTP will get rifle duty.

43 minutes ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

why arnt the 8 moas more popular. i have an 8 moa and its been 100% amazing. best dot ive ever used. 

I have the 8 moa and I'm very happy with it.  The dot looks very clean and the perfect size for me.  

Hello, I think the 8MOA dot is not more popular because people think it is too big for tight shots. The Alpha 3 dot is very clear and when you turn it down it allows you to look through it for those tight shots. I have 3 8MOA Alpha 3's so far and I am very pleased with the dot size. I have used 2,4,6,8,12 and even 16MOA dots before and think the 6-8MOA dot size for USPSA type games are the correct size. Now, do I need another Alpha 3? Thanks, Eric

My personal preference is the 8 MOA and I can make any shot i need for IPSC/USPSA up to 50 yards. A lot of people are just used to their 6 MOA dot so they stick with it. The larger dots are nice and crisp and don't flare out like a smaller dot turned up.

We sell 40 % 6 MOA and 60 % 8 MOA by volume.

We have offered 10 MOA by special order for some customers that want an even bigger dot.

I also forgot to mention that 40 % of our sales are repeat customers! Usually a month or two after people receive our optics, they order another :)

The most common feedback we get:

Glass clarity and anti reflective qualties are amazing

Dot is bright and crisp and no issue in any sunlight conditions

Soft touch buttons and easy on are a huge improvement over other optics

10 minutes ago, FTP_Shooting_Sports said:

I also forgot to mention that 40 % of our sales are repeat customers! Usually a month or two after people receive our optics, they order another :)

The most common feedback we get:

Glass clarity and anti reflective qualties are amazing

Dot is bright and crisp and no issue in any sunlight conditions

Soft touch buttons and easy on are a huge improvement over other optics

I agree 100% with that feedback! I'm really thinking about buying another one also. However, I won't need another until early next year..  Do you have anyone mentioning the refresh rate of the led?  Once in a while I notice what I would call strobing of the dot. Not that it's a problem or anything like that, just wondering..

On 5/7/2021 at 6:50 AM, AverageJoeShooting said:

why arnt the 8 moas more popular. i have an 8 moa and its been 100% amazing. best dot ive ever used. 

Honestly, I went back and forth based on your previous comments.  Ultimately I went with a six due to my perceived familiarity with that size.

10 minutes ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

What were we to see in this video? One thing people forget to do is clean the little emitting diode with a clean soft q-tip. It gets pretty dirty and will change the dot look, size, and habit. A buddy was over to my place Friday with his open gun and the dot seemed smaller, less bright, and had an odd halo around it. I knew what is was right away and cleaned it and handed the gun back to him. This has happened over time with all my open guns. That just might do the trick? Worth a shot. 

1 hour ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

has anyone had issues with the dot appearing smaller than it is? i was shooting yesterday in the bright sun and it looked the same size as an SRO which is 2.5. i changed the battery out and still the same thing

I shot into the sunrise at a couple matches and have not experienced this. Hmmm