Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FTP Alpha3 optic experiences

vgdvc

Just now, JDIllon said:

6 MOA, they are not supposed to be in till March! I'm in no hurry. I will just keep replacing my Sigs till then. Just can't justify stepping up to the SRO or Max. There should be good red dots that last for a reasonable price. Just my .02 JD

If I like the first one, I thought I would try a 8 MOA.

Great plan! You will love it. I may grab a 6 in March to try out but I do love my 8moa ones.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Well I pulled the trigger on an 8 MOA one. Now the waiting for the Glock 17 MOS or the Alpha 3 to see who comes home first. Looking for an adapter plate next for the Glock. Thanks, Eric

Congrats! 

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, FTP_Shooting_Sports said:

Just a reminder that we will have the Alpha 3 optics back in stock in March!  You can preorder online but please put you are OK with the wait in the comments field so we don't have to contact you to get your OK about the backorder.

Let me piggyback on this post and say that rangepanda now makes some pretty spectacular optic covers for this optic. I sent one of my spares over to them and they created some very nice covers. 

• 1 month later...

I can't believe I didn't know about these optics earlier.  6MOA is a big change from my 3MOA Sig Romeo1 pros and 2MOA Holosuns, but it might be worth it. 

I can afford a truck load of batteries to make up the price difference. 

Hello, the small dots are nice on super tight shots but the larger dot is faster all around. You can turn the dot down and look through them or turn them bright as the sun for fast hoser stages. I can't wait till mine arrives to try it out. I bought the 8MOA and have used up to 12 and 16 MOA C-Mores in the past so I will see how this one will be. Thanks, Eric

On 1/8/2021 at 1:39 PM, JDIllon said:

I just ordered a Alpha 3!!! Tired of sending the Sigs back!! From all reports I hope this is a good decision. JD

The alpha, romeo3, rts2 and many others are made in the same factory using the same electronics and mostly similar internal parts. 

3 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

Has anyone mounted one one p320 legion using the springer precision rts2/sig max/xl plate?

Yes. I did this to a couple of my legions. It works fine.Yes. I did this to a couple of my legions. It works fine.

I don’t own an FTP optic but have owned some RTS2 8moa dots and currently use the Romeo 3XL. My experience with the RTS2’s is the 8moa dots are closer to a 6moa Romeo 3 size. Since these share the same electronics as the RTS2 (from what I’ve read) I can only assume the 6moa is probably somewhere between a 3moa Romeo and 6moa. Maybe a 5? Lol

Every manufacturers dot I have used, differs. You just have to find what works for you. 

2 hours ago, mcmmotorsports said:

I don’t own an FTP optic but have owned some RTS2 8moa dots and currently use the Romeo 3XL. My experience with the RTS2’s is the 8moa dots are closer to a 6moa Romeo 3 size. Since these share the same electronics as the RTS2 (from what I’ve read) I can only assume the 6moa is probably somewhere between a 3moa Romeo and 6moa. Maybe a 5? Lol

Every manufacturers dot I have used, differs. You just have to find what works for you. 

Agreed,  At full intensity they are both pretty much the same size...  When you run the intensity down a bit the FTP is just a bit larger..  pic2 shows full intensity, pic 1 is down 2 clicks.

72DEB4F7-F6AB-4183-8295-449A756BBDEB.jpeg

79661F4C-39E4-43FA-BC49-D1B6B517C7F9.jpeg

Edited by NoSteel

On 3/27/2021 at 8:47 PM, Degnan said:

Interested, but waiting for a better/lower dot size. 

Since we are mainly catering to USPSA style competition shooting, we have no plans to offer a smaller MOA than 6. We feel the majority of shooters prefer a 6 or 8 MOA for competition and that is what was lacking from other dots on the market that were only available in small sizes. Once you have tried a larger dot, it is pretty hard to go back. A larger dot is easier to find and doesn't wash out in bright sunlight. You don't have to turn it up all the way to see it and it doesn't flare out like the smaller dots at full brightness. You can make any shot you will find in USPSA with both the 6 and 8 MOA dots.

Thanks!

14 hours ago, FTP_Shooting_Sports said:

Since we are mainly catering to USPSA style competition shooting, we have no plans to offer a smaller MOA than 6. We feel the majority of shooters prefer a 6 or 8 MOA for competition and that is what was lacking from other dots on the market that were only available in small sizes. Once you have tried a larger dot, it is pretty hard to go back. A larger dot is easier to find and doesn't wash out in bright sunlight. You don't have to turn it up all the way to see it and it doesn't flare out like the smaller dots at full brightness. You can make any shot you will find in USPSA with both the 6 and 8 MOA dots.

Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback.  You guys would know better than me.

I started at 6, went down to 2, and ended up at 3MOA. However, I am only a sample size of one. 

Dot size is a personal preference but we feel the sweet spot for USPSA/IPSC style competition is the 6 and 8 MOA.

We sell 60 % 8 MOA to 40 % 6 MOA

Smaller dots are usually preferable for rifle use where the shots are beyond 50 yards. Most the other dot makers are trying to cater more to the tactical side of things  (there are more sales to be had there) but we went the other route and are catering the to needs of competition shooters. Those needs are a big bright crisp dot, clear anti reflective glass and easy to use controls that are optimized for competition use.

1 minute ago, FTP_Shooting_Sports said:

Dot size is a personal preference but we feel the sweet spot for USPSA/IPSC style competition is the 6 and 8 MOA.

We sell 60 % 8 MOA to 40 % 6 MOA

Smaller dots are usually preferable for rifle use where the shots are beyond 50 yards. Most the other dot makers are trying to cater more to the tactical side of things  (there are more sales to be had there) but we went the other route and are catering the to needs of competition shooters. Those needs are a big bright crisp dot, clear anti reflective glass and easy to use controls that are optimized for competition use.

Got my 8moa on Monday. Mounted it on my Carry Opitics CZ and went the range. The 8 moa on the lowest setting is great. I think 8 moa outside and for steel challenge will be really nice. My only suggestion would be to be able to use a small screwdriver to adjust the sight. Having that small Allen wrench is a pain.   Love the sight so much better than my Sig! Just my . JD