Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FTP Alpha3 optic experiences

vgdvc

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been using an 8MOA since last November, and I have a couple of notes. 

I had it mounted using a CZC dovetail mount modified for a Kadet2 22lr slide for a long time. Dot was great, fast to find outdoors, but I can understand the complaints about a large dot on abnormally small targets. If you shoot at a 1" or 2" dot at 25 yards, you are going to have a bad time. Most of the users of this sight are shooting at action pistol targets, as am I, so this is a non-problem for it's intended use.

I had an astigmatism before I had LASIK and most of the rifle red dots I use appear as  "/"'s to me. The 8MOA dot is abnormally clear to me, really clear crisp edge. This makes no real difference in it's intended use for fast action shooting, but it's great to stare at when you take your time. 

The brightness is great, however I would prefer if there was a dimmer setting available for indoor use. On the plus side, the dimmest setting is nicely visible, if a bit 'transparent' outdoors, so it's nice that even if the brightness somehow got turned down all the way accidentally, you'd probably be ok for the stage unless you were shooting directly into the sun or something. I cannot make the dot 'transparent' indoors in my experience, and I wish there was an option to do so to make indoor sighting in easier. This is not a 'problem', only a 'preference'. I can see the value in making the dimmest setting still usable outdoors, just understand there's a corresponding drawback if you shoot indoors. The dimmest setting is not distractingly bright indoors for normal use.

I have just moved the sight to a CZC milled slide with a custom mounting plate from CZC for the alpha 3. Unfortunately the milled plate system does not have the front 'pins' available to lock the red dot in, as such it's relying solely on the mounting screws to keep the sight both pulled down AND pointed in the correct direction. This doesn't appear to be 'enough' as I sighted in the optic, gave it a light tap on a wooden table, and the POI shifted a few inches to the side, tapped it back on the other side and it went back to POA. I've since reached out to CZC to see if there is a recommendation I'm missing regarding torque specs, or applying something between the sight and the plate to 'bed' the sight. This is nothing against the sight itself, just sharing my experience, which I'll update as CZC works through the issue with me if possible. Worse case scenario I'll just bed the sight to the plate in some manner, but it's not as refined of a mounting solution as the universal dovetail mount for some reason. 

I liked it.  But couldtn't use it.  The journals on the Akai mounts are raised.  The 4mm holes in the FTP won't work with the 4.28mm wide journals....so need to move to another dot.

On 6/4/2021 at 3:23 PM, RGC said:

I liked it.  But couldtn't use it.  The journals on the Akai mounts are raised.  The 4mm holes in the FTP won't work with the 4.28mm wide journals....so need to move to another dot.

you got an older akai mount? i bought a newer version this year and it fit the ftp3 just fine

3 hours ago, Kirkster said:

I picked up one of your 8MOA dots.  Any chance I can special order a 3MOA dot?

We cannot add any more items to our current manufacturer order that is arriving in September. It would have to go in on the next order after that which would likely not arrive until 2022.

1 hour ago, FTP_Shooting_Sports said:

We cannot add any more items to our current manufacturer order that is arriving in September. It would have to go in on the next order after that which would likely not arrive until 2022.

Darn.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/26/2021 at 2:45 PM, FTP_Shooting_Sports said:

Our next shipment of Alpha 3 Optics is scheduled to arrive at the end of September. You can order on our web site and we will fill orders in the order them come in once received.

Awesome news! I think I need a second one. 

Just FYI, these won't fit on the Atlas Romeo 3 dot mount without modification.  I was going to swap out my Romeo 3 Max to send it back to Sig, because the buttons aren't working well anymore unfortunately the profile of this dot is different by just enough to not allow for installation on the Atlas mount.

2 hours ago, clw42 said:

Just FYI, these won't fit on the Atlas Romeo 3 dot mount without modification.  I was going to swap out my Romeo 3 Max to send it back to Sig, because the buttons aren't working well anymore unfortunately the profile of this dot is different by just enough to not allow for installation on the Atlas mount.

That's actually really odd as Atlas made our mounts and said the regular Romeo 3 Max mount would work. How much material did you need to remove near the blast shield? I assume it was just to account for the different radius at the front of our optic compared to the Sig?

After a long wait, we will finally have the FTP Optics Alpha 3 Red Dot sights back in stock approximatley September 29-30th. You can pre-order on our web site and we will ship orders in the sequence they arrive.

https://fasttoys.net/shop/FTP-Optics-Alpha-3-Red-Dot-Reflex-Sight/

On 9/22/2021 at 1:22 PM, FTP_Shooting_Sports said:

That's actually really odd as Atlas made our mounts and said the regular Romeo 3 Max mount would work. How much material did you need to remove near the blast shield? I assume it was just to account for the different radius at the front of our optic compared to the Sig?

That is odd.  I haven't removed anything yet, but it appears to be very little material in the way.  It definitely to account for the different radius at the front.