Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is Limited for Reloaders?

Stafford

On 11/10/2019 at 12:21 PM, EEH said:

Even then 147 gr.bullets work better in 9 minor for recoil and gun control.

While I don’t disagree with you, the Production national champion has run american eagle 124gr factory ammo through a Tanfoglio both years, I’m fairly certain.

Not the case for Limited.

I’m at $70/k for 9mm

.40 and 45 are probably $75 or $80/k

.03 bullet (that I cast and powder coat)

.03 primer

.01 powder

brass is literally everywhere for 9mm, so why try to factor that cost?

On 11/10/2019 at 11:21 AM, EEH said:

Even then 147 gr.bullets work better in 9 minor for recoil and gun control.

probably depends on the gun and the shooter. anymore it seems like most really good shooters prefer 124 grain for quicker return of the sights. I liked 147's when was a B or A, but I prefer 124 now (even tho i'm not a really good shooter, lol).

I shot a club match last week with 25 competitors. 5 of those were shooting Limited. Only two of those (including me) were shooting Major. I hope .40 isn’t on its way out of the sport, or common use. 

11 hours ago, HCH said:

I shot a club match last week with 25 competitors. 5 of those were shooting Limited. Only two of those (including me) were shooting Major. I hope .40 isn’t on its way out of the sport, or common use. 

I shot an area match last week with 87 Limited shooters. Of those, 12 were shooting minor, the best of whom was in 50th place. I don't think 40 is going anywhere.

1 minute ago, MikeyScuba said:

Up here limited and SS are tied, way, way below production.  It varies club to club, some with no limited shooters at all.

Because of the Canadian 10 round limit no doubt.  10 round Open, LOL

2 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

Up here limited and SS are tied, way, way below production.  It varies club to club, some with no limited shooters at all.

if i lived in canada i would just shoot singlestack, and probably play more hockey. 10-round limited is dumb.

For me the tip over point was 6,000 rounds of 9mm a year. Once I realized I was going to be regularly shooting much more than 6k rounds a year of 9mm I decided to reload. I started reloading during the Obama years when components were super scarce. (I was selling primers in parking lots and N320 for $80 a pound.....)

If I only shot 6k a year of 9mm I'd just buy it, but I shoot far more than that. And frankly I've never bought ammo I like as well as what I make myself.

6 hours ago, motosapiens said:

it's still like double the price of reloading. Its nice to have the option of factory ammo if you are short on time, but if I can save $20-30/hr by reloading 9mm and sipping beer with a football game on, count me in.

You’ll blow your toes off doing that 😱😱🤣🤣🤣🤣

I posted earlier about reloading 9mm because I didn't have a choice.  If I was shooting Limiter minor 9MM, or shortly my 5.5" barreled PCC for SCSA, there is no way in the world I would reload.    I can now buy really good 9mm for 16 cents each shipped to my door.  I don't have to worry about mixed HS, different OALs, etc.  I shoot 9000+ 9mm major and 4500+ 9mm minor through comp'd guns a year.  I'll be shooting 4500+ 9mm factory in my new PCC next year.  Not having to load them will give me more time to load 40 and 45.  If I had an automated 1050, I'd think differently.

Like virtually everyone said, unless you intend to shoot 9 minor you have to reload. That decision locks you into PCC, Production,, CO. If that suits you go with it. If you intend to shoot Limited major or Open you are not going to be competitive shooting minor. You will hate that decision.

Realize that in Limited you cannot shoot 9mm major, only 40 major minimum. Open is another world I would forget unless you are already an accomplished shooter.

Sticking to the Production/CO divisions in 9 mm minor is a good idea until you realize all the options and tradeoffs. Shooting 40 major requires capital expense for press, bullet feeder, etc. So while ammo reloaded saves money you spend a lot upfront that you never recover unless you shoot a lot.

Prod/CO limits you to DA or DA/SA guns. You can get good ones in the $1000 -2000 range.. You cannot shoot SA only guns like 2011's. Some people (me) like those 1911 style SA guns even though they usually cost more than $2000 for a really good one.

There are lots of considerations. If you're just starting get a decent Production/CO gun and shoot 9mm factory or commercial reloaded ammo  until you decide what your long range intentions are. Shooting is expensive as hell in terms of money and time. Its not good to drop a bundle of both capital and expense money until you understand what you're getting into

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/10/2019 at 7:19 AM, Stafford said:

Just wondering if most shooters in USPSA Limited are reloaders? I’ve often heard that if you shoot .40, you should reload, but I’m not sure why?

Maybe because it’s considerably cheaper than buying factory? Or if you’re competing with .40, you have the opportunity to dial in your load?

Short answer is yes. Most guys shooting Limited even semi seriously are shooting a 2011. 2011s are notorious for liking ammo of a longer OAL than factory.  I load my ammo to1

1.2 OAL, I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that factory ammo is at 1.135. It's a reliability thing.