Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 in 40 S&W

EliteGuard

I am looking for a 1911 in 40 S&W to use in USPSA. I already shoot limited in 40 S&W, but I am having a hard time finding a 1911 in 40 S&W. Would be nice to reload only one caliber for competiton. I do have the stuff to reload 9 and 45 if need be. No interest in IDPA. Anybody know of a 1911 in 40 S&W under $1500. I can go a bit over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Not sure what your preference is but gun broker has several Sig Sauer 1911's in 40SW at a very good price.  I just picked up Sig Traditional Match Elite for a lot less than they're going for.  They also have several Max Mitchel 1911's for a lot less than I paid for mine.  Check them out.

I haven’t pulled the trigger on this yet, still researching, but it looks pretty decent for the price and it has a barrel bushing so you can run L10 or SS. Only thing I don’t like is it’s series 80 internals. But I guess you could always gut those need be. 

https://www.rkguns.com/remington-r1-limited-40sw-semi-auto-pistol-96717.html

Picked up an STI Trojan in 40 off Gunbroker a few months back for less than 1K including the FFL transfer. I made sure it would run all my ammo before making any upgrades. 

Added about $600 upgrading the usual stuff and it is as good as I need, super reliable, great trigger, sights and magwell.

That said, there was a guy on my squad a month or so back shooting a Sig Max in 40 that ran very well. 

I have a Sig Max 1911 in .40. Took out the series 80 parts and installed a spacer, worked on the trigger and it has a nice 2.75lb trigger. Worst part of the Sig’s are they don’t fit a normal 1911 holster. Double Alpha makes one specifically for the Sig or you can add an extra spacer to a 1911 holster. I think the Sig Max is a great option for the money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, EliteGuard said:

I am looking for a 1911 in 40 S&W to use in USPSA. I already shoot limited in 40 S&W, but I am having a hard time finding a 1911 in 40 S&W. Would be nice to reload only one caliber for competiton. I do have the stuff to reload 9 and 45 if need be. No interest in IDPA. Anybody know of a 1911 in 40 S&W under $1500. I can go a bit over.

Sig Max Michele 1911.  I have one.  It's awesome.  

kg

1 hour ago, jc3257 said:

I have a Sig Max 1911 in .40. Took out the series 80 parts and installed a spacer, worked on the trigger and it has a nice 2.75lb trigger. Worst part of the Sig’s are they don’t fit a normal 1911 holster. Double Alpha makes one specifically for the Sig or you can add an extra spacer to a 1911 holster. I think the Sig Max is a great option for the money.

Hey jc,

Could you kindly expand on the parts list you used?  I'd like to go series 70 too.

Thanks bro!

kg

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/830247189

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/830246498

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Thank you for the responses. Looks like I am stuck going with a Sig Max 1911, Sig Traditional Match Elite, STI Trojan, or Remington R1. I know STI discontinued the Trojan a while ago. Not sure I trust Remington yet. It also looks like Sig discontinued their 1911s in 40 S&W as Sig doesn't list any 1911 in 40 S&W. Will have to buy one off of gun broker or look for stores that have them still, which looks like there are a couple.

I can see why I am mostly seeing 9mm 1911s with the occasional 45 ACP 1911 at the local matches.

Edited by EliteGuard

Hey jc,
Could you kindly expand on the parts list you used?  I'd like to go series 70 too.

Thanks bro!

kg

You take out the firing pin block from the slide, and the two pieces in the fire control group that activate the firing pin block. That leaves a gap. You fill the gap with a spacer designed to do just that. $9 part.

https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/TJs-Custom-Gunworks-COLT-1911-SERIES-80-TO-70-CONVERSION-SHIM--P2284.aspx

Does your Sig Max in .40 allow an OAL of 1.18?

On 9/3/2019 at 6:49 PM, ARac40 said:

Only thing I don’t like is it’s series 80 internals.

You can get a series 80 gun to have an outstanding trigger pull.  You just have to work harder to get it.  The main thing is to polish the two levers and the firing pin plunger.  You may have to polish the plunger hole as well.  After that it is just like a 70 series, except for minute differences in the sear spring adjustments.

Some competitions require all original safety mechanisms be fully functional.  That's why my Sig Tacops is full factory, except for replacement sear and hammer after 44,000 rounds, and a full length guide rod. I worked it over as described above.  You cannot tell the difference in trigger pull from my 70s.  I built my other 1911s.  They are 70 series competition guns with only the thumb safety functional.

Added later:  my thoughts on shooting major and minor out of the same gun are as follows.  It requires some compromise.  Either the slide to frame fit has to have about .001" clearance rather than the .0003" to .0004" I use in my builds, or you have to go up to 140-144PF.  Then you can run a tight gun and use the same recoil spring for 144 and 172PF.

Edited by zzt