Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fastest way to clean a gun or bad idea?

jeremy kemlo

I need to clean several guns including my shadow2. My friend removes the slide from his shadow 2, sprays the frame and all the stuff inside with solvent, then blasts pressurized steam through everything, then uses the air compressor to dry everything, then sprays everything with eezox, followed by a little more air to get rid of any extra eezox. It is VERY FAST and the gun looks like new, and feels great!!! but....... I dont like the idea of putting any water into my gun if I can help it. So is this the a great way to clean my gun or should I be concerned?

Where is he getting the pressurized steam? one of those hand held things? I dont see that it is any different than using ultrasonic.

Just make sure dry and reoiled.  Also some of the action parts in some guns prefer grease to oil so it may need to be reapplied as well

It probably depends on your definition of "cleaning a gun".  Your friend's steam cleaning method seems like a once per year major cleaning process ... like some of us do with ultrasonic tanks.  99% of the time I run a boresnake through the barrel and wipe the feed ramp.

BTW, The smallest multi-use steam cleaning system I found via a quick google search is $300.

2 hours ago, Steve RA said:

Couldn't find any pricing on the web site, how much is the DVC-169 ???

I think it is around $1,100. I like it. Fast and easy. He has a jewelry repair shop but I think half of the time is spent on guns. He is 800 yards from my house so no need for me to buy one. He also has all kinds of tools that work great for trigger jobs etc.

3 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

I buy break cleaner at walmart and just hose the gun out, wipe it off a little and then cover with oil and go. Probably faster then your buddies method.

electrical contact cleaner is as good but wont mess with plastics.
I use paint thinner with a bit of ATF fluid, dirt cheap, works wonders,

I've shot corrosive ammo through my M1A (S&B .308) when I didn't have access to hot water.  Carb cleaner followed by standard cleaning with brushes, patches and bore cleaner worked.

I've shot corrosive Russian surplus through my 5.45X39 AR15.  You can't beat hot water for cleaning.  If it's hot enough the metal will be dry by the time you get to the point where you're inspecting, wiping down with an oily cloth and adding oil to the spots that need more.

If you don't trust the quick evaporation of very hot water you can use a compressor or hair dryer to make you feel better that you have all the moisture out of the nooks/crannies.  Just be sure to oil it properly afterwards.  Hot water works similar to brake/carb cleaner.  It removes all the protective oils from the surface of the metal.

1 hour ago, B_RAD said:

How fast is this process?

From start to finish. Including every aspect.  Disassemble to  reassemble and any equipment/would area prep and cleanup?

The machine sit  directly over a big laundry sink so there’s no set up or clean up.  basic field strip, spray with steam, spray with air hose (although it really isn’t wet) spray with eezox, spray with air, reassemble. Only takes a couple of min.  It takes longer to run brushes and patches through the barrel.

3 hours ago, jeremy kemlo said:

The machine sit  directly over a big laundry sink so there’s no set up or clean up.  basic field strip, spray with steam, spray with air hose (although it really isn’t wet) spray with eezox, spray with air, reassemble. Only takes a couple of min.  It takes longer to run brushes and patches through the barrel.

Thanks. 

interesting method, indeed. But what i don't get is, why should I use steam for cleaning a handgun? does it need to be disinfected? why not soak it in WD40 (whatever...) and then blow it out with compressed air? would even save one more step in the whole procedure.

Edited by mercury
typos

Seems a little over the top. You can just spray solvent all over, hit what you can with a brush, blast it out with Gun Scrubber, then lube and be done. Could hit it with air after gun scrubber if you wanted to be careful but I think most people have a lot of moisture in their compressed air setups anyway. 

I used to to be real anal about cleaning guns until I realized it doesn’t really matter. Just adding lube here and there and quick wipes with a rag here and there gets you really far. 

23 hours ago, mercury said:

interesting method, indeed. But what i don't get is, why should I use steam for cleaning a handgun? does it need to be disinfected? why not soak it in WD40 (whatever...) and then blow it out with compressed air? would even save one more step in the whole procedure.

Hotter temps clean clean better and faster than cool temp. 

On 8/30/2019 at 12:47 PM, jeremy kemlo said:

https://dryvaporcleaner.com/

this is the machine.

Which model does he have? I break the gun down, soak it in mineral spirits for a hour, scrub off anything that didnt dissolve, once dry, i oil and reassemble. Regardless, my method or the ultrasonic method, i always seem to need some amount of scrubbing. If the dry vapor method eliminates a scrubbing step, im intrigued.

Throw the pistols in the wet tumbler with SS pins. Don't forget the lemishine!

How many cans of non-chlorinated brake cleaner can you get for the price of the steam unit? The steam method sounds nice, but the brake cleaner method works really well and its fast. Just don't get it on grip tape if you use it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk