Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optic recommendations

Tompac

I’m ready to try an RDS in carry optics. I have almost no experience with RDS. This sight will be of course slide mounted on an m and p. I want something that will cowitness with suppressor height irons. I’d like to not have to remove the sight to change batteries. Something thst turns itself off also. Thoughts?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Ken6PPC said:

Why are you saying the SRO is more reliable?  It hasn't been out long enough to have much history behind it.  Some tests have indicated that it is quite fragile...  

Leupold DeltaPoint Pro has been around long enough and is known to be unreliable, so it's a really low threshold. My SRO did not break yet, DPP lasted less than 1,000 rounds.

I just installed an SRO on my Shadow 2 , will zero it tomorrow and run some Blake drills with it and give thoughts.

I've tried the Shield/Jpoint mini sights (3 and 8MOA)  and the Vortex Venoms (3 and 6MOA) so far (both on my M&P 9L as well as my shadow 2).

If the the Venom had a taller window I would have no Complaints, for the price it's a great optic.

Shield/Jpoint sights are OK they co witness nicely but they scratch really easily and you have to remove them to change the battery (which I've only done once a year).

Really good auto adjust on those though.

what's the Budget? I must say the Window and the brightness of the dot (5MOA) on this SRO has me giddy, but it's twice what the Venom costs

I know a lot of guys that like the Vortex Viper on their M&P's and Glocks as well.

Delta point Pro has a nice big Window , new Sig Romeo's (several variations of these now) are also good options

Edited by kmanick

There is a version of the Shield that has a battery tray it also has the alloy body BUT as you say the screen scratches too easily mine is not much good now as I (unknowingly how easy they are to scratch) used my shirt to give it a wipe at a match and its no good to use now. 

If you are careful how you clean it I would certainly recommend the Shield RMS and keep an eye out as I did see reports they were going to glass screen instead of the polymer/plastic 

Edited by terrydoc

I've had great luck with the Razor and Venom for CO.  The Vortex warranty and quick turn around are primarily why I went with them but they also look and preform great at a price point that's hard to beat.

I've seen the SRO's up close and they are impressive.  If they are anything like the RMR in terms reliability I could see them being worth the cost.  

As far as back up irons Dawson makes them to cowitness just about every optic.  

1 hour ago, NWfront said:

I've had great luck with the Razor and Venom for CO.  The Vortex warranty and quick turn around are primarily why I went with them but they also look and preform great at a price point that's hard to beat.

I've seen the SRO's up close and they are impressive.  If they are anything like the RMR in terms reliability I could see them being worth the cost.  

As far as back up irons Dawson makes them to cowitness just about every optic.  

This the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks. 

I went with the Venom 6moa as well. In part because I’ve always had great luck with Vortex optics and the few times I’ve had to send in scopes (pst gen 2) for warranty work the turn around time was very quick. I’ve been using the Venom now for a few month and have around 2k down range and have had zero issues with it so far.

I know of a few Duel Illumination RMR's that have seen some hard use without failing.  Without electronics there is not much to go wrong.  The downside is dot brightness can be a bit tricky in different light conditions. 

On 8/11/2019 at 10:21 PM, NWfront said:

I know of a few Duel Illumination RMR's that have seen some hard use without failing.  Without electronics there is not much to go wrong.  The downside is dot brightness can be a bit tricky in different light conditions. 

RMR is too small for competition

On 8/11/2019 at 7:21 PM, NWfront said:

I used to use one of those, but one match shooting from inside a shelter to targets in the sun cured me of it, in open sun they are great but if its shade to sun they suck, inside to sunny outside its like its not on.

The Leupold DPP is the best of the micro dots.  Glass is good, dot is good, longevity is good.  Just an all around beast of a dot.  You’ll shoot well and have positive experiences with the brand and the DPP. 👍

2 hours ago, Rich406 said:

The DPP is not a good choice for a CO gun, at least until they come out with the new circuit board,  and even then it's completely unproven.

Nothing is proven to be a bullet proof design to date.

DDP has held up well for me.

Sig Romeo 1 6moa has made it over 8k on the one slide w/o a problem

Knock on wood I put a DPP on my P320 X5 Legion and have shot USPSA and Steel Challenge without any issues.

Have over 1500 rounds on it now. Also started using grease instead of oil which has reduced residue on the optic. I think yesterday on a 186 round USPSA match I only wiped the optic off once. 

So far no complaints with the DPP optic. Not saying I won’t look at something later but it’s a no brainer right now since it’s a direct fit with the X5 Legion.  

11 hours ago, Tompac said:

Which of these sights will Co witness with the high sights on an M andP CORE?

for competition co-witnessing is not a benefit, the rear sight will be blocking part of the sight and you want to be able to see through as much of it as you can, for that matter having sights at all on a competition gun is not helpful, if you are looking for the sights to help you find the dot you need to practice finding the dot without them, using a dot means 100% target focused shooting, looking at the gun to find the dot is just slow. think about how many open guns you see with backup iron sights.

I just sent my 2nd DPP back because the circuit board is screwed up.  I use it for my CZ S2 in CO.    I have the SRO but waiting for CZC to get their RMR plate for their plates system.  If the SRO proves to be reliable, that will be the winner in my book.