Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC gear questions and advice

I have been thinking about jumping into the PCC division and have a few questions.  I have pretty much settled on the JP GMR-15, however I am not sure which optic or magazines to get.  

Currently I am leaning towards a Aimpoint Comp M5 for the optic because I want something that is not made in a developing country (China, Philippines) as I don’t trust the quality control of optics made in those countries.   I also want an optic that takes a readily available battery (AAA for the comp m5).  Is the Comp M5 competitive in PCC?

For magazines I was thinking of running a 33 round Glock mag with the Taylor Freelance +20 extension as my starter magazine with 3 additional Glock 33 rounders on the belt for stages with mandatory reloads.  This would give me back up “big mags” in case the mag with the +20 extension failed.  I will use the DAA Glock extended mag-pouch spacer in my DAA racer mag pouches.  Would this mag set-up be competitive?  Thanks.

Aimpoint makes great stuff. But its expensive, FOV is small, bezel and battery compartmemt a bit big and 2 moa dot is the only choice. For a competition sight where speed is more important than durability I'd save a few bucks. The old c more slide ride with 8 moa dot is hard to find things wrong with. For competition -  but not my first choice for real world or SD applications

Edited by Chillywig

Here are my opinions and my experiences, you don’t state what type of matches you’re shooting im going to assume uspsa. 

If you want the comp m5 yes it will do the task but for a lot more coin and not offering some of the features the 510/512 offer. 

holosun for the price is a solid competitor in the optics market. I have two of 510c models, never had a single issue with either. I like the window they offer the brightness and the ability to change reticles. They have proven reliable to me as I treat all guns and guns accessories as tools not jewels. I haven’t had to change a single  2032 battery. I’m eyeing buying the 512t when it’s released.

+20 extensions are overkill for uspsa.  I like mbx +6 or tti +10. Having 3 additional 33 round mags is also overkill that’s starting with 99 rounds on your waist, and 150 rounds total if you use a +20 for a 18-36 round stage. I also use da racer pouches the pcc extension isn’t needed for 33 round mags. I’ve never had one fall out using only the Glock inserts it also allows my mags to sit higher and not have a longer pull for reloads .I carry 2 spare mags down loaded to 28 rounds. They are arranged 12 and 10 o’clock 45-60* cant with bullets down. 

If you can wait mbx is at some point releasing different sized metal glock style mags ranging from 26ish to 65+ rounds.(release date unknown)

Edited by Bwillis

I have a Leupold LCO on my PCC, and although it's really nice, it's also totally overkill for USPSA. Get the Holosun 510c for half the price with pretty much the exact same capability. Good enough for Max Leograndis, as he's won pretty much every match using one of those (including the 2 or 3x reigning USPSA PCC Nationals, and most recently the Extreme Euro Open). Josh Froelich runs the Vortex Razors, and he's done pretty well with optics made in other countries. 

9 hours ago, Philo_Beddoe said:

I have been thinking about jumping into the PCC division and have a few questions.  I have pretty much settled on the JP GMR-15, however I am not sure which optic or magazines to get.  

Currently I am leaning towards a Aimpoint Comp M5 for the optic because I want something that is not made in a developing country (China, Philippines) as I don’t trust the quality control of optics made in those countries.   I also want an optic that takes a readily available battery (AAA for the comp m5).  Is the Comp M5 competitive in PCC?

For magazines I was thinking of running a 33 round Glock mag with the Taylor Freelance +20 extension as my starter magazine with 3 additional Glock 33 rounders on the belt for stages with mandatory reloads.  This would give me back up “big mags” in case the mag with the +20 extension failed.  I will use the DAA Glock extended mag-pouch spacer in my DAA racer mag pouches.  Would this mag set-up be competitive?  Thanks.

Regarding an optic not made in a developing country the Sig Romeo 3 is made in Japan and mine seems to be excellent quality.  Can be had with co witness mount for good price if you hunt around. New Sig Romeo Max is due out soon with enhancements,not sure of build origin.

Looks like you did your homework, everything you selected should work great. I run a gmr15 with oem glock mags and the TF +20s. Keep in mind that the TF extensions require bullet oal to be under 1.125in. I could never get coated bullets to run reliably in their extension. Plated and jacketed run great. Now that i have the gear figured out my JP has ran flawless, not a single hiccup in nearly 10k rounds.

For an optic i went with the trijicon MRO, works great, taken abuse,  and i dont feel like im looking through a toilet paper roll.

For classifiers i use oem glock mags, there are newer ~25 rnd 9mm mags that are about 170mm long.  They are my classifier mags for reloads, i reload the JP just as would a pistol. I would recommend the taylor freelance flared magwell as an addition to your list.

edit: one thing to consider is optic mount height. I chose to go with a mount that puts my optic as low as possible on the rail, i also place the optic as far back on the gun as i can comfortably use it, this results in less hold over vs distance and therefore less thinking on my part. A lot of guys dont like my setup. Ive drilled with it a lot and it works for me. Just keep in mind the further forward on the rail and the higher your optic mount, the more deviation you will have with your holdovers vs distance

Edited by Smithcity

I’ve been using a Vortex Venom with the QR riser mount for 2 seasons and it’s been great. I really like Vortex optics and the warranty, even though I’ve never needed to use it for my red dots. I tried a 510c and for me the reticle was to busy, I like the simplicity of a dot and the dot size on the 510c was to small for me to pick up quickly.

In regards to the mags factory glock mags work great, just remember that you’ll more than likely need to tune the mag opening and bevel the sharp edges to help with feeding reliability, I believe Taylor Freelance and MBX has videos on how to tune the mags to work with the big extensions.

12 hours ago, Philo_Beddoe said:

Currently I am leaning towards a Aimpoint Comp M5 for the optic because I want something that is not made in a developing country (China, Philippines) as I don’t trust the quality control of optics made in those countries.  

Your loss.  

Hello: Here is what I am running and works very well. Get the Holosun 510C with the red dot. Get 33 round magazines either factory or ETS. I am using Arredondo +5/6 base pads with factory Glock springs. These will hold 36 rounds and are 100% reliable and have been for 10 years or more for me. Get a Taccom coupler and use a 17 and 33 round factory magazine combo with the 17 on top and the 33 on the bottom with the spring reversed. I have one MBX mini that works ok. Get some Magpul 21 round magazines as a starter magazine and reload to a 33 for classifiers. I also use Zev base pads, Taylor Freelance base pads as well as some Dawsons. You really only need two 36 round or more big sticks and some stock 33 rounders and two 21 rounders. The ETS and Magpul magazines have been 100% over thousands of rounds for me so don't be afraid to get some of those. Lastly work up a good reload and tune your buffer on the JP and you should be good. Thanks, Eric

18 hours ago, XD Niner said:

+1 for the Holosun 510C.  I have two and they are 100% reliable and very quick to acquire.  If you want just a dot, you can turn off the 65 MOA circle.

I love my 510Cs, but ran into an issue today at a Steel Challenge match.  Had to shoot in fairly heavy rain, and the water hitting the sight interfered with the LED emitter, causing about 8 to 10 dots to appear on the screen at once.  Didn't stop me, but definitely slowed me down.

FWIW, I'm not ditching my 510C for a UH-1, but it is what it is.  Careful if you play in the rain.

Edited by LowSpeedHighDrag
4 hours ago, LowSpeedHighDrag said:

I love my 510Cs, but ran into an issue today at a Steel Challenge match.  Had to shoot in fairly heavy rain, and the water hitting the sight interfered with the LED emitter, causing about 8 to 10 dots to appear on the screen at once.  Didn't stop me, but definitely slowed me down.

FWIW, I'm not ditching my 510C for a UH-1, but it is what it is.  Careful if you play in the rain.

Pretty sure that's why Holosun came out with the 512, to prevent that from happening. The 512 is essentially a 510c that's completely enclosed; for practical purposes, it's equivalent to the LCO now. 

22 minutes ago, LowSpeedHighDrag said:

Now, we just have to wait for it to be available...

Looks like a few places have them in stock, at least the C in red color, the elite green is another story. 

What dot do you see on 99% of the open pistols????.... C-MORE's.... Great field of view, ez change dot modules, excellent reputation..... With minimal skill you can make a slide ride from an old  C-More Serendipity...

2 hours ago, mike NM said:

What dot do you see on 99% of the open pistols????.... C-MORE's.... Great field of view, ez change dot modules, excellent reputation..... With minimal skill you can make a slide ride from an old  C-More Serendipity...

According to the 2018 Nationals equipment survey, slideride was only 17%. Most open shooters have moved to smaller footprint red dot like the rts2 and dpp. Possibly the SRO might take over as preferred optic. 

For USPSA I like the MRO. Simple, robust and with a wide field of view. It is designed to be parallax-free at 50 yards, so ideal for typical handgun match distances (not so great past 100 yards though). The MRO has dropped a lot in price recently - it can be had for Aimpoint PRO money. Oh, and it is made in Michigan.