Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gunsmith Fit Barrel

Tophernj

4 hours ago, dskinsler83 said:

Who are the few that do?  I have not seen a GSF barrel for a Glock from anyone in a long while other than Barsto

BarSto does but it's a 1:16.  I'd love to find a 1:10.  

7 hours ago, Tophernj said:

I emailed. All their barrels are drop in. I think they also said all are 1:16. 

My KKM 24 drop in had to be fitted (not much).  I got it because big, loose Glock .40 chambers make me nervous, not to increase accuracy.  However, the fitted barrel may be a blessing in disguise.  

6 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I’m curious where the desire for a specific twist rate and a handfitted barrel for a 19 came from in the first place.

I'm a tinkerer.  Nothing nefarious.  I just like to putz around with stuff.  

3 hours ago, Tophernj said:

I'm a tinkerer.  Nothing nefarious.  I just like to putz around with stuff.  

It sounds like someone is trying to mimic what the Apex fitted barrels do for the M&Ps. ;) 

That’s why I asked.

Thing is... that isn’t needed for a Glock. It wouldn’t show nearly as much improvement.

On 8/8/2019 at 11:33 AM, 11MM said:

Never knew there wasd a fitted barrel for a Glock! Does it perform any netter than a non fitted Glock barrel???

I haven't shot it enough to know yet, but I doubt I'll see much difference.  The factory barrel was accurate, but like I said above, they kinda scare me.  The KKM has been 100% reliable.

Edited by deerslayer

BarSto and Briley currently make Glock barrels that are specified as full gunsmith fit. Both are 1:16 twist rate. BarSto even calls their non-gunsmith fit Glock barrel "semi-fit" because depending on the individual Glock it may still require some fitting on the hood and lower lugs. Even KKM used to make gunsmith fit barrels for Glocks but ceased production on those a few years ago because as I was told by the owner (Kevin at the time), too many unqualified people tried to fit them, screwed them up, and sent them back to KKM demanding money back saying it was the company's fault. I still have a new gunsmith fit KKM barrel for a Gen 3 Glock 34 in my parts bin that I never got around to having my gunsmith fit.

And yes, it can be worth it depending on how much accuracy you demand and need. I have two Glocks with gunsmith fit barrels that will hold inch to sub inch 5 shot groups at 25 yards with my handloads. My gunsmith (Open GM) shot a 5 shot group at 25 yards with my handloads (125 Zero JHP bullets with VV powder) that measured .625 inch when testing after fitting the KKM barrel in a Glock 17 open gun. He sent a photo of the group to me with a caption that read "so much for Glocks not be accurate"! And the gun is reliable. Your results may vary. That kind of accuracy demands a little luck with just the right Glock, good barrel fitting, a good barrel to start with, and a really good load!!!

14 hours ago, Whitefish said:

BarSto and Briley currently make Glock barrels that are specified as full gunsmith fit. Both are 1:16 twist rate. BarSto even calls their non-gunsmith fit Glock barrel "semi-fit" because depending on the individual Glock it may still require some fitting on the hood and lower lugs. Even KKM used to make gunsmith fit barrels for Glocks but ceased production on those a few years ago because as I was told by the owner (Kevin at the time), too many unqualified people tried to fit them, screwed them up, and sent them back to KKM demanding money back saying it was the company's fault. I still have a new gunsmith fit KKM barrel for a Gen 3 Glock 34 in my parts bin that I never got around to having my gunsmith fit.

And yes, it can be worth it depending on how much accuracy you demand and need. I have two Glocks with gunsmith fit barrels that will hold inch to sub inch 5 shot groups at 25 yards with my handloads. My gunsmith (Open GM) shot a 5 shot group at 25 yards with my handloads (125 Zero JHP bullets with VV powder) that measured .625 inch when testing after fitting the KKM barrel in a Glock 17 open gun. He sent a photo of the group to me with a caption that read "so much for Glocks not be accurate"! And the gun is reliable. Your results may vary. That kind of accuracy demands a little luck with just the right Glock, good barrel fitting, a good barrel to start with, and a really good load!!!

That kind of accuracy demands a LOT of luck with any gun and barrel. 

On 8/8/2019 at 12:33 PM, 11MM said:

Never knew there wasd a fitted barrel for a Glock! Does it perform any netter than a non fitted Glock barrel???

I have tried KKM, S3F, and a Barsto semifit barrels in my Glock 34 trying to edge out as much accuracy as possible. To me after spending quite a bit of money you don’t gain enough to justify the cost unless you load lead. Some say they the chambers are more supported. I compared all 3 and it’s not that much more than stock. Every time I went to the range the stock always was at least as accurate if not more. This was reinforced to me the other day when I was able to shoot the stock barrel at 35 yards at a plate rack and was able to knock them down pretty much on demand. Also was able to hit uspsa classic steel target at 50 yards pretty consistently. I only have the Barsto left and may try it next time I go to that range. Buy good ammo and practice, I think you’ll get more out of it than chasing barrels. 

I have gunsmith fit BarSto barrels in a G19 and a G34, and they shoot as well as any of my custom 1911's with a gunsmith fit barrel.  If you get an oversize barrel fitted by a competent gunsmith, then the limiting accuracy factor is the barrel itself.  In my G19 and G34 with gunsmith fit barrels, the pistols have been just as reliable as with the stock barrels.  I did have the chambers slightly free-bored so that I could load ammo out to the magazine limit.               

I tried several semi-fit barrels, but they did not shoot much more accurately than stock.  However, the accuracy variations were less with different ammo, meaning they were not as picky as to what they shot well compared to the stock barrel.

Talked with Bob Vogel on a couple occasions and he never mentioned that he used anything about a fitted barrel. Being cheap as the day is long, I wonder if they are worth the investment. Interesting though.