Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA President vote

be032

Just got this in my email, quick Google search has told me a few things (I am a new member as of this year, and don't know the politics). Can anyone share more info about the candidates?

1. Ben Stoeger got banned last year directly by Mike Foley for some seemingly insignificant internet spat, has that ban stood?
  2. Foley claims credit for growing membership, what has he changed to deserve that credit?
  3. Mike Valentine seems like a fine chap, all I've seen is one post, which doesn't provide much guidance: "printed rulebooks (why?), more clubs (not sure the need, but I don't have a national view), make nationals more important (how?), fix the classification system (agree there's some opportunity here, but also no details).

Any details?

Edited by be032

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, BritinUSA said:

Last time there was an election, a questionnaire was sent to each candidate and their answers appeared in Front Sight magazine. I have not seen that this time around, not sure why...

I gotta pretty good guess....

1.  To the best of my knowledge, the ban did not stand.

2.  I have no idea.

3.  On Ben's podcast, you can hear an interview with Mike Valentine.  Mike Foley is supposed to be interviewed (without Ben present per Ben's idea because he could not be unbiased).  The interview is supposed to take place with Joel Parks and possibly one other frequent guest of his podcast.  I think most would agree Joel is about as uncontroversial as they get so it should be a fair interview.  Last I heard, Joel mentioned Mike Foley said he was traveling and did not have time yet for the interview.

Edited by B585
grammatical error

32 minutes ago, be032 said:

Just got this in my email, quick Google search has told me a few things (I am a new member as of this year, and don't know the politics). Can anyone share more info about the candidates?

1. Ben Stoeger got banned last year directly by Mike Foley for some seemingly insignificant internet spat, has that ban stood?
  2. Foley claims credit for growing membership, what has he changed to deserve that credit?
  3. Mike Valentine seems like a fine chap, all I've seen is one post, which doesn't provide much guidance: "printed rulebooks (why?), more clubs (not sure the need, but I don't have a national view), make nationals more important (how?), fix the classification system (agree there's some opportunity here, but also no details).

Any details?

2. Because of the moped of USPSA, PCC.

11 minutes ago, B585 said:

> snip <

3.  On Ben's podcast, you can hear an interview with Mike Valentine. 

> snip <

+1 - Struggling to find candidate info ... I stumbled on this interview (on their "Practical Shooting after Dark" channel) and I am glad I did.

I didn't think it was going to be too much  ... but ... it wasn't long into the interview I started to do the "oh yeah ... now that you mention it" thing ... 🙄  

24 minutes ago, Slalom45 said:

There is a month to vote. I'm hoping Mr. Foley does take opportunity to be interviewed. Will give it some time.

I think Foley is a known quantity. He has been interviewed on many occasions, and at pretty much any area match or nationals you can just walk up to him and start asking questions. I wouldn't mind hearing more about mr Valentine's ideas, but honestly Foley has been doing such a professional job I have no real reason to look elsewhere. Sure, I don't like every little thing that's been done, but I'm a big picture guy.

Is there anywhere with a list of the candidates for Pres and the Area directors? I can't seem to find a list anywhere. This is my first year so I don't know the process too well but I am surprised that USPSA doesn't have a candidate list anywhere, seems a little shady.

36 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

I think Foley is a known quantity. He has been interviewed on many occasions, and at pretty much any area match or nationals you can just walk up to him and start asking questions. I wouldn't mind hearing more about mr Valentine's ideas, but honestly Foley has been doing such a professional job I have no real reason to look elsewhere. Sure, I don't like every little thing that's been done, but I'm a big picture guy.

+1. I just cast my vote for Foley. I looked at the growth, the new clubs, the new shooters entering the sport (who will be important VOTERS in national political elections.... why would they want to lose their gun rights when they have recently discovered how much recreational fun they can have with them?)

Mike's done a good job. I see no reason to change.

The Valentine interview ("Practical Shooting after Dark - Episode 50") brings out some great points ... such as rule changes on the fly / member benefits ... etc ... bunch of stuff.

It was very interesting to watch just to see what some of these "issues?" were really about. Makes you think about "what you think" and if they are issues or not.

Easy to dust off but becomes kinda mandatory when other channels of information are suppressed or non-existent.    

2 hours ago, be032 said:

Any details?

1 the ban didn't stand, and it wasn't just Ben.

3. Printed rule books. Some clubs don't have internet, and are out in the sticks where you're phone wont work. Which means if you don't print the rule book you wont have one. They are worried about clubs not having the most up to date rules on site, I get that. A better solution IMO would be to not change the rules so often

3B. in my area we could use more clubs. Around here it's not uncommon for club matches to sell out and have a wait list. When there are to many shooters for the local matches you need more clubs. Have you ever shot on a 20 man squad?

Mike V. Certainly didn't give much detail, I don't really see him winning.

5 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

1 the ban didn't stand, and it wasn't just Ben.

3. Printed rule books. Some clubs don't have internet, and are out in the sticks where you're phone wont work. Which means if you don't print the rule book you wont have one. They are worried about clubs not having the most up to date rules on site, I get that. A better solution IMO would be to not change the rules so often

3B. in my area we could use more clubs. Around here it's not uncommon for club matches to sell out and have a wait list. When there are to many shooters for the local matches you need more clubs. Have you ever shot on a 20 man squad?

Mike V. Certainly didn't give much detail, I don't really see him winning.

I agree. 

I think Foley is staying quite and out of sight. Just letting the clock running out. Why would he risk a $100k+ job by accidentally saying the wrong thing. Unlikely that would happen but still. 

5 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

I think Foley is staying quite and out of sight. Just letting the clock running out. Why would he risk a $100k+ job by accidentally saying the wrong thing. Unlikely that would happen but still. 

I saw him last week (at A1) and he was very happy to chat with anyone interested. He's on facebook and stuff too, answered some questions about nationals slots just last night or this morning.

1 minute ago, motosapiens said:

I saw him last week (at A1) and he was very happy to chat with anyone interested. He's on facebook and stuff too, answered some questions about nationals slots just last night or this morning.

Cool

I find it strange that the actual voting process has stared before the potential candidates have been given a chance to voice their stance on things in the Front Sight Magazine. This has always been done in the past for all President and Area Director positions. Not sure why its being skipped this time around. On the surface its looking intentional to put Foley's position in favor. Or it could simply be another online voting system monkey show like the Area 2 Director situation.

9 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

I find it strange that the actual voting process has stared before the potential candidates have been given a chance to voice their stance on things in the Front Sight Magazine. This has always been done in the past for all President and Area Director positions. Not sure why its being skipped this time around. On the surface its looking intentional to put Foley's position in favor. Or it could simply be another online voting system monkey show like the Area 2 Director situation.

I am too skeptical to believe it just turned out that way.

Or they could have realized nobody reads Front Sight Magazine? 

I've spoken personally with Foley, seen him work (9) 12+ hour days in a row for the job, seen him shoot, seen his results and I've seen his screw ups. Nobody is perfect, but he's the right guy for the job. Numbers are up across the board, social is up, sponsors are happier and SCSA is a real thing again. 

Other Mike hasn't given any specifics so I have no idea what I would have been voting for. 

2 minutes ago, pete627 said:

I wonder if we will have a "do it again" re-vote again this time?? 🙄

If Valentine responded to the questionnaire and those responses are not available until after the voting started then I think they will have to redo it. It’s simply not fair to start voting before all candidates have had a opportunity to publish their positions on the magazine.

22 minutes ago, Darqusoull13 said:

Or they could have realized nobody reads Front Sight Magazine? 

I've spoken personally with Foley, seen him work (9) 12+ hour days in a row for the job, seen him shoot, seen his results and I've seen his screw ups. Nobody is perfect, but he's the right guy for the job. Numbers are up across the board, social is up, sponsors are happier and SCSA is a real thing again. 

Other Mike hasn't given any specifics so I have no idea what I would have been voting for. 

Your opinion. 

We shouldn't skip all the normal processes because you're ok with it. 

Kind of difficult for the other Mike to give any specifics when he's essentially being shut out of the conversation. 

Edited by B_RAD

2 minutes ago, Darqusoull13 said:

‘Maybe he was more specific in the questionnaire.... currently we don’t know and neither do any of the members that are now casting their votes.

4 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

Since no one actually reads front sight, it's hard to say that not appearing in the magazine is being 'shut out of the conversation'.

That is an assumption.

I have emailed USPSA to find out some details on the candidate responses, whether Valentine was given an opportunity to participate, and whether he mailed the responses back within the deadline. And finally, when that information would be available to the members.