Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA President vote

be032

Watch the interview with Mike Valentine so that you can make an informed decision:

Personally I detest the way the current administration quietly removed the restriction against modifying the rules as they see fit on a continual basis... where it used to mandate 2 years between rule changes. (With the full Board of Directors reviewing them in a meeting, allowing you to voice your views to them prior to the meeting.)

They pulled that move so smoothly that most of you aren’t aware of it.

Along with Troy’s ‘rules clarification of the week’ it’s allowed Production to be modified on a nearly weekly basis.

I’m simply not okay with that.

Nor with how Ben Berry was singlehandedly banned by Foley, then Ben Stoeger caught a matching ban for nothing more than sharing the very hotheaded PMs from our President on social media.

Whatever you think about Stoeger, that particular act was in no way deserving of a ban, even if it had been done the right way through an act by the full board of directors as it’s supposed to.

I’m a huge fan of the growth, the overhaul to the website and the USPSA app, and classifiers being run more than once a month. A lot of great things have happened.

But some end-runs around all of us getting a voice in the process happened, too. That’s where I’m hesitant to vote for Foley again.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, BritinUSA said:

That is an assumption.

I have emailed USPSA to find out some details on the candidate responses, whether Valentine was given an opportunity to participate, and whether he mailed the responses back within the deadline. And finally, when that information would be available to the members.

why not just msg valentine on the facebook link above? Straight from the horse's mouth.... Does it look like he's trying to get the word out?

40 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

Since no one actually reads front sight, it's hard to say that not appearing in the magazine is being 'shut out of the conversation'.

It looks like he's only actually been a candidate since april 10th.  https://www.facebook.com/Valentine4prez/

I read FS religously it's just been too busy to read anything this summer.  The last issue had the questions answered by Mike Foley, nothing on Mike Valentine.  

Am searching for info on MV now.

27 minutes ago, BritinUSA said:

I don’t have a Facebook account.

Mike Valentine's facebook page is open to the public.  You don't need a FB account to see it nor to read his positions on issues nor his answers to questions from USPSA members on those issues.

I don't have a FB account either and I learned everything I needed to learn to make my decision using his FB page.

Everyone saying go to Valentine’s FB to see where he stands, is missing the point. Foley got to get his say in a multi-page ad in Front Sight. So, unless Valentine refused to have his say in the magazine, it's not really all that fair and impartial. 

Doesn't matter how you feel. Doesn't matter who you like or don't like. It's supposed to be equal. At least to me it is.  

31 minutes ago, BritinUSA said:

I don’t have a Facebook account.

I don't use it either... let's see how well I can format this for the Benos Forums. There's a little bit of editorializing here because of post length limits and limiting which questions I transcribe. I think I've hit important ones though.

His initial policy post

Mike Valentine for USPSA President  April 23 ·
Everyone keeps asking what I want to change about USPSA, well here is the short list.
- revamp the RO Corps, make it more beneficial to be an RO that is actually working matches
- make Nationals more important.
- create more clubs and support the existing clubs
- print the rulebooks
-fix the classification system
- build membership benefits

Question

Eric Wise: I read through this and listened to the podcast but didn't ever hear many specifics. I understand that you don't want to make all the decisions on your own and that you'd want to get feedback from the membership before making any changes, so there's no need to repeat that.

What specific ideas do you have and what specific plans do you have to implement them to:
1-Make it more beneficial to be an RO?
2-Make Nationals more important?
3-Fix the classification system?
4-Support the existing clubs?
Mike Valentine for USPSA President: Eric Wise, thanks for asking.

I believe we could do things like give ROs that work level 2 and 3 matches a discount on their membership, hold a match for them and only for them as a thank you, or send those ROs a special thank you package.

As for the classification system, we need to move some of the flat footed to inactive status and create new ones with more movement.

As for supporting the clubs, working with suppliers to help provide equipment at a reduced rate would be a start.

Question

Jalise & Justine Williams: What are your plans for women and juniors in the sport?
Mike Valentine for USPSA President Sorry Ladies, I just noticed this. I believe the ladies program and the junior program are great platforms for our sport to reach outside of our organization. We need to build support for both programs both at a national level, and also at the local level.

Question with follow-ups

John Vlieger: Can you expand on what you mean by "fix the classification system"? And explain why you think printed rule books are necessary?
Mike Valentine for USPSA President: the vast majority of classifiers are flat footed and are under 16 rounds. The vast majority of the type of shooting we do is medium to large field courses and are almost never stationary. How does that help to classify your ability to shoot a match? As for the rule books, some people have and easier time reading and comprehending things written or typed on a page rather then on a phone or tablet. I am one of those people. If the people who are helping to work these matches would prefer them in paper, its a no brainer.

Harrison Diamond: how do you propose keeping the rules flexible enough to adapt while still printing? Do you know the costs of keeping printed copies available and distributed to the membership? I’d rather those funds be used elsewhere. Members can download the PDF and have them printed if they see fit, but not opposed to the idea of offering hard copy as a paid option from USPSA.
Mike Valentine for USPSA President: Harrison Diamond ask IPDA how that easily changeable rulebook worked out for them, just saying. I get it but there are still people confused as to what rules they need to follow for PCC because the rules have changed all to often.

Jon Oum: so just to be sure: Your problem is with the classifiers themselves, not the classification system?
Mike Valentine for USPSA President: Jon Oum the classifiers themselves are the majority of they system. The fact that someone can shoot only classifiers and move up to be a master or GM without ever participating in a higher than level 1 match is not right to me.

Dan McCoy: Congrats. Can you expand on any experience you have running an organization with the expanse USPSA has? From, operations, to finance, overall strategy, personnel management etc? Thanks.
Mike Valentine for USPSA President: I'll be honest I dont have any experience at that level. Currently in work at a large indoor shooting range/ gun store as the Inventory Coodinator. Before this I was the assistant operations manager at a small commercial reloading company. My main duties involve cost analysis, procurement, and pricing. I help manage the retail sales team as well.

(This seemed important enough to include even after the post length limit)

36 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

Everyone saying go to Valentine’s FB to see where he stands, is missing the point. Foley got to get his say in a multi-page ad in Front Sight. So, unless Valentine refused to have his say in the magazine, it's not really all that fair and impartial. 

Doesn't matter how you feel. Doesn't matter who you like or don't like. It's supposed to be equal. At least to me it is.  

but since valentine didn't even announce his candidacy until april,  whose fault is it that he can't get his views into a print magazine in may or june?

from another forum:  

I don't know much about Mike Valentine except that he is from VA and works in a gun shop. I sat at a lunch table with him during the OK Sectional match and he didn't say anything about the election. 

That MikeV interview had a bunch of ideas thrown out w/ no real plan. USPSA is made up of a board and the President cant just do all those things he is saying. 

USPSA buying their own range in the middle of the country?  come on!  Aside from the actual cost , the infrastructure needs to be there too.

Giving ROs discounts on membership?  meh. 

There are plenty of clubs around here racinready300ex... there is a reason why some clubs fill and others dont. The quality of the matches and level of competition draw people in. Just having more clubs doesnt automatically mean success.

I'd still like to see an interview w/ Foley.  This was all I could find but from beginning of 2018: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cP1GelhBAU

Edited by racerwong

57 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Mike Valentine's facebook page is open to the public.  You don't need a FB account to see it nor to read his positions on issues nor his answers to questions from USPSA members on those issues.

I don't have a FB account either and I learned everything I needed to learn to make my decision using his FB page.

My reply was in response to the suggestion to use Facebook to email MV. 

21 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

but since valentine didn't even announce his candidacy until april,  whose fault is it that he can't get his views into a print magazine in may or june?

from another forum:  

Might be a valid point. Though, do you know there wasn't enough time? 

52 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

Might be a valid point. Though, do you know there wasn't enough time? 

I don't know anything, but uspsa hq apparently sez (in email to hyland above) valentine submitted whatever he submitted after the deadline... that seems plausible to me, but I'd be happy to listen to mr Valentine's side before venturing any kind of opinion.

Seems weird to me to be honest, here are the publishing deadlines for Front Sight

8AEE6465-B854-4586-9CB8-BD37F24635B0.thumb.jpeg.e89c5c9cf35e3bbb240cee32bad35012.jpeg

The deadline for nominations was 1st May, so if someone announced in April that they were running then that would already be past the deadline for the May/June edition. I’m sure we had more time for responses at the last election cycle.

2 minutes ago, mwray said:

I’m curious what Foley’s selling points were when he ran for president. Did he fulfill anything he said he would do?

They have the archived Front Sight magazines on the USPSA web-site, look for Mar/April for Introductions, May/Jun for answers to the questionnaire and Jul/Aug for the closing remarks.

6 minutes ago, mwray said:

I’m curious what Foley’s selling points were when he ran for president. Did he fulfill anything he said he would do?

If he did, we’d all be eating rainbow stew🤣

Note that the timeline for this election is different from the last Presidential election.

Last time the nominations had to be in before 31st December 2014.

• 31st December 2014 USPSA sends a request to candidates for them to provide an introduction - due date was January 10th and was published in March/April edition.
  • 2nd March 2015, USPSA sends a questionnaire to candidates - due date was March 10th and was published in May/June edition.
  • 7th May 2015, USPSA sends a request for closing remarks to candidates - due date was May 12th and was published in July/August edition.