Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lubricant for PCC

22 hours ago, mitchiepinoy said:

Sorry but it works for my and especially on my open guns. I can run it dry vs wet that can attact dirt ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought into the hype of  Frog Lube a couple of years ago on my STI Open 9mm pistol... followed all the directions..  3/4's thru a USPSA match my pistol quit cycling.. I racked the slide and immediately noticed it was COMPLETLY DRY... so I borrowed a small bottle of oil from another shooter,  happened to be Mobil 1 .. proceeded to a safe area.. took off the slide & generously oiled my gun .. it ran 100% after that.... I threw away the remaining Frog lube...  it did not work on my open gun... I will NEVER use it again.. like I stated before I believe Frog lube is for frogs...not firearms... . I use full synthetic Mobil 1 on ALL my guns now....& I ALWAYS clean & re-lube all my guns every time I shoot one...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, cecil said:

I bought into the hype of  Frog Lube a couple of years ago on my STI Open 9mm pistol... followed all the directions..  3/4's thru a USPSA match my pistol quit cycling.. I racked the slide and immediately noticed it was COMPLETLY DRY... so I borrowed a small bottle of oil from another shooter,  happened to be Mobil 1 .. proceeded to a safe area.. took off the slide & generously oiled my gun .. it ran 100% after that.... I threw away the remaining Frog lube...  it did not work on my open gun... I will NEVER use it again.. like I stated before I believe Frog lube is for frogs...not firearms... . I use full synthetic Mobil 1 on ALL my guns now....& I ALWAYS clean & re-lube all my guns every time I shoot one...

Yeah agreed.

So, Froglube is coconut oil allegedly and definitely seems to behave like it. So vegetable based oils are great for cleaning, and will lubricate. But when exposed to air and heat, do not have much of a life expectancy and will actually turn rancid. You are absolutely not first (or will be the last story) of experiencing frog lube turning into a sludge. I still do like vegetable oils for cleaning, especially because they are non-toxic. But they are not... stable... I think the chemistry term is..

I fully concur that with the only downfall of it being toxic, mobil 1 motor oil is applied easily and is easy to wipe off (with all the carbon and fouling suspended in the oil). No real "cleaning" needs to be done.

On a side note... Mobil 1 is not longer fully synthetic unless you by the "extended life" version of the motor oil.  Regular mobil 1 is actually isomerize crude oil as it's base oil to achieve greater purity and yield.

Edited by PigSnowball
10 hours ago, PigSnowball said:

On a side note... Mobil 1 is not longer fully synthetic unless you by the "extended life" version of the motor oil.  Regular mobil 1 is actually isomerize crude oil as it's base oil to achieve greater purity and yield.

So which is recommended for firearms, the regular or extended life?

1 hour ago, Steve O'Connell said:

So which is recommended for firearms, the regular or extended life?

Extended if you have over 75,000 rounds. 

Use to use mobil 1, but now prefer Lucas gun oil. Doesn’t stink like mobile 1 and it doesn’t run off as bad. 

I use Weapon Shield on the PCCs. I do make it soaking wet like my open gun. I use the blue Lucas Extreme duty gun oil on the open gun. I have no good reason why, haha. Both work fine and I’m sure Weapon  shield would work fine on the open gun too, just like the Lucas would probably work fine on the PCC.

On 5/14/2019 at 12:18 PM, PigSnowball said:

Yeah agreed.

So, Froglube is coconut oil allegedly and definitely seems to behave like it. So vegetable based oils are great for cleaning, and will lubricate. But when exposed to air and heat, do not have much of a life expectancy and will actually turn rancid. You are absolutely not first (or will be the last story) of experiencing frog lube turning into a sludge. I still do like vegetable oils for cleaning, especially because they are non-toxic. But they are not... stable... I think the chemistry term is..

I fully concur that with the only downfall of it being toxic, mobil 1 motor oil is applied easily and is easy to wipe off (with all the carbon and fouling suspended in the oil). No real "cleaning" needs to be done.

I was under the impression that "ALL  PETROLEUM" oil/lubricant  are  somewhat "TOXIC"..  not to mention primers which contain compounds which are harmful... plus bullets contain "LEAD" which is known to be detrimental to humans... 

Edited by cecil
2 hours ago, FatPanda said:

I use Lucas

according to Lucas Oil website...Lucas oil is Toxic if swallowed. Combustible. Highly toxic by inhalation of mist. Corrosive to eyes and skin. Sensitizer.  

On 5/15/2019 at 6:18 PM, George16 said:

I had been using slide glide on all my pistols and rifles. I put a dab of slide glide then smear it on the rails, bolt etc with Lucas gun oil. It’s been working flawlessly.

This on all our pistols, with Mobil 1 or Lucas.

Tried it on our PCC's and found the blowbacks are so dirty the crud accumulated on the SG grease, so just Mobil 1, but a generous dose.

Same with our rifles. Here in SE Texas lots of sand at our ranges & bays. Sand sticks to the SG. Just Mobil 1 or Lucas. 

gerritm

I use mobile 1 synthetic and only use it on the contact points of the bolt. I found the wetter I run my bolt, the quicker it get dirty. I have also tried dry lube on my bolt in the form of PTFE. It works extremely well in keeping the gun running cleaner since there is nothing for the burnt power and carbon to attach to but I have only run it in practice sessions with limited round counts. I did notice when running dry lube that right hand and arm had burnt power and carbon accumulated on them. 

On 5/21/2019 at 9:43 AM, cecil said:

according to Lucas Oil website...Lucas oil is Toxic if swallowed. Combustible. Highly toxic by inhalation of mist. Corrosive to eyes and skin. Sensitizer.  

Isn’t that with most lubricants?

Check out http://www.grantcunningham.com/2006/05/lubrication-101/  

I started following the recommendations from the link back in 2015 instead of using Mobil 1 synthetic oil.  

The recommended oils and greases are all non-toxic and safe for food processing equipment.

Back in 2015, I couldn't find the Lubriplate products in small quantities, so I bought similar spec lubes that were available on McMaster Carr and Grainger:  Dow Corning Aluminum Thickened Grease, Food Grade, Molykote G-0050FM and Petrochem AirGuard 68.  Now, the recommended Lubriplate products can be ordered from Amazon.

The Dow grease and AirGuard 68 oil don't smell, are non-toxic and have worked great on my 9 major open gun and AR's.  I've only had my JP GMR-15 since January, but I'm assuming I'll get the same great results on the PCC.

Edited by gdboytyler