Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lubricant for PCC

7 minutes ago, gdboytyler said:

Check out http://www.grantcunningham.com/2006/05/lubrication-101/  

I started following the recommendations from the link back in 2015 instead of using Mobil 1 synthetic oil.  

The recommended oils and greases are all non-toxic and safe for food processing equipment.

Back in 2015, I couldn't find the Lubriplate products in small quantities, so I bought similar spec lubes that were available on McMaster Carr and Grainger:  Dow Corning Aluminum Thickened Grease, Food Grade, Molykote G-0050FM and Petrochem AirGuard 68.  Now, the recommended Lubriplate products can be ordered from Amazon.

The Dow grease and AirGuard 68 oil don't smell, are non-toxic and have worked great on my 9 major open gun and AR's.  I've only had my JP GMR-15 since January, but I'm assuming I'll get the same great results on the PCC.

Where do I get my hands on that stuff?

I definitely like his article. I even tried ATF, but man, smells way too much compared to Mobil 1.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, PigSnowball said:

I definitely like his article. I even tried ATF, but man, smells way too much compared to Mobil 1.

You can order the Lubriplate stuff from these links:

https://www.amazon.com/Lubriplate-SFL-0-Gun-Grease-Tub/dp/B01JA5RRGA/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=lubriplate&qid=1559077892&s=instant-video&sr=8-6

http://lubrikit.com/firearmoils.html

Edited by gdboytyler

Has anyone tried a dry film lube like Hornady "One-Shot Gun Cleaner and Lube"?  It works wonderfully on my 10/22 but I've never tried it on any centerfire.  It does not collect carbon and dirt like any wet lube eventually does but I wonder about its wear protection performance and functioning reliability.

59 minutes ago, SteelCityShooter said:

Has anyone tried a dry film lube 

I have tested PTFE (teflon) spray on dry lube. It worked well preventing build up of burnt powder and carbon but I haven't run it over 300 rounds. Im not sure how it would hold up long term with wear and build up.  

15 hours ago, SteelCityShooter said:

Has anyone tried a dry film lube like Hornady "One-Shot Gun Cleaner and Lube"?  It works wonderfully on my 10/22 but I've never tried it on any centerfire.  It does not collect carbon and dirt like any wet lube eventually does but I wonder about its wear protection performance and functioning reliability.

I use Eezox.  A dry lube.  On my pistols, rifles, magazines.

Slip 200EWL is all I ever use on my blowback AR9. I only really clean the gun about every 10K(not kidding). I will wipe down and relube the bolt before a match or practice session.  Ran the gun 1600rds in a day once at a class, I put a little lube on the bolt about halfway through.  I have been running the gun like this for years and I don't think I have ever had a malfunction that wasnt bad ammo or the one time I didn't clean a mag that got a lot of dirt in it. 

Been running Gunzilla on the last 2 PCC's.   Run the bolts and interior of the upper wet and never had an issue on many 1000's of rounds.   Carbon wipes off with a dry cloth and no appreciable wear on any of the parts. 

• 2 weeks later...

X3 on the SLP2000 grease.  I pretty much wipe the old grease off give the bolt a little scrub with a brush and solvent.  Put new  slp2000 grease on the bolt and a squirt of oil on the hammer pin and down in the sear 

TW25b, pricey but my GMR13 never stops,  has never even come close to puking on me even after a 400 round match at Havasu and Dave Lauck recommends  it.

Edited by pbc44
Screwed up!
On 5/28/2019 at 2:08 PM, PigSnowball said:

Pretty good article might try this stuff.

On 6/2/2019 at 7:22 PM, SteelCityShooter said:

I run otis dry film on my pcc's. They run like a wet gun but without the mess. Carbon also just wipes off with little to no effort. Edit- I've been running it for 5 years now. 

Edited by Mac-pcc

I've used CLP on everything that required oil for the last ~15 years, I have not found a reason to try anything else.

I've got an M16 that has been through a LOT of 1,000+ round range days with most of it being suppressed. If CLP was going to fail, I'd have seen it.

I will say that after a long day of suppressed full auto, when I'm caked in blowback I do wish it had that minty fresh frog lube smell :)