Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry optics build, Glock 45 vs 17 vs 34

JGT

I have a Glock 34 gen 4 that I use in production, however I've been wanting to try carry optics. I'd like feedback on what to buy for the purpose.

Choices are:

1) brownells RMR cut Glock 17 slide and put it on my 34 frame

2) glock 45 mos

3) gen 5 Glock 17 mos fs

4) gen 5 Glock 34 mos

Today I handled (but did not shoot) a Glock 45, it was my first time holding a gen 5 and I really liked the upgrades. It seemed to me that the new gen 5 trigger is quite a bit nicer than the gen 4. It's a more significant difference than I had expected. I also liked the magwell flare. For that reason I'm leaning towards purchasing a new gun rather than an optic-cut slide for my 34.

However, I'm kind of stumped as to the ideal barrel length for carry optics. Although the sight radius won't matter with an optic, there are still differences in cycle time, balance and perceived recoil between the 3 slide lengths. I know some people prefer the longer slide even with an optic as it feels smoother, but others have said that a shorter slide is an advantage because you have a shorter cycle time and the dot snaps back on target faster (if you have good grip).

Does anyone have experience with the 45 or 19x? Is there much difference in feel versus the 17 or 34? What's the latest thinking on slide length for a red dot pistol?

Feedback much appreciated, thank you.

The 45 MOS was just released at the NRA annual meeting and has already shipped to dealers.

Why do you say the 17 slide length should be the minimum? Should I get the 34 gen 5 mos? If so why?

Pretty sure that putting a 17 slide on a 34 frame is illegal.  I would go with a 17 as well. little shorter but the barrel length will make it a little easier making power factor.  That is unless you like the feel of the 34 better then i would go that way

Hello: The Glock 17 and 34 use the same frame. I like the Glock 17 length slide for Carry Optics since it transitions quicker for me and gets back on target faster for me. Using the same load in a G17 and G34 the power factor is only 3 difference. So G17 is 131PF and the G34 is 134PF. I have owned both and sold the G34 MOS and kept the G17 with the Brownells RMR slide and a Holosun 507C on top. Thanks, Eric

I shot the 19x and hated it. Grip was nice, but idk it just felt extremely snappy.

I was heading towards the 17, but the extra ounce or two from the barrel pointed me to the 34. Also, if I didnt stick with CO, I was going back to prod.

I dont think you can go wrong with the 17 or the 34. You might get a split second faster draw with a 17, but Its negligible on most stages. Since you have a production setup already though, I dont really think it matters which length you purchase unless you decide to change your prod setup to go gen 5. 

Whatever you do, get the FS versions. The 34/17 FS is VERY nice, and has that small cutout by the magwell on the front of the grip filled in.

Edited by nick779

No reason not to get a 34, IMO. No downside and you can shoot it in competition if you ever decide to ditch the dot.

I personally like the feel of the 34 better but everyone is different 

I shoot both 17 and 34 interchangeably. The weight distribution is different. The 17 is more nimble to move around and more snappy in recoil. But none of these makes a noticable difference in the scores.

Thank you for the replies, I think I'm going to try out the 17 gen5 as I already have a 34 (gen4). Hopefully it will prove a nice middle ground between the long slide and the 19.

The 34 will be the softest shooting of the Glocks. You will get more velocity with less powder and a less violent cycle with the longer and heavier slide. This should result in easier sight acquisition and a longer life for your dot. 

7 hours ago, JGT said:

Thank you for the replies, I think I'm going to try out the 17 gen5 as I already have a 34 (gen4). Hopefully it will prove a nice middle ground between the long slide and the 19.

You will be happy with your choice. Especially the way better ejection of the Gen 5. Don’t have to worry about your optic batting the brass during ejection like the Gen 4.

F8C88F27-3239-4BC1-A110-D2BFDE4D0C7A.jpeg

Edited by BASE772

Picked up and shot the 17 yesterday. First time shooting a 17 or a gen 5, and it was a pleasant experience. I think I actually prefer the gen4 grip with finger grooves, but I do like the slight magwell flare and the trigger is better out of the box.

Now I need an optic! SRO, DPP, or wait for the sig Max?

Depends on how patient you are. 

SRO last I heard just got pushed back until June, I have no clue when the Romeo Max is coming out. 

Id pick up a new or used DPP to tie you over unless you want something like a Vortex venom/FF3. I think @Rich406 still has a used DPP left for $280

Edited by nick779

I'm patient, I'll continue to shoot production or PCC until one of them hits and the initial bugs are uncovered. I'm sure Holosun will eventually release a larger window version of the 507 too.

I thought the SRO was shipping already and the Romeo 3 Max was projected for july, but I would certainly believe that either or both could get pushed back. Making a dot durable enough to ride on pistol slides is hard.

46 minutes ago, JGT said:

I'm patient, I'll continue to shoot production or PCC until one of them hits and the initial bugs are uncovered. I'm sure Holosun will eventually release a larger window version of the 507 too.

I thought the SRO was shipping already and the Romeo 3 Max was projected for july, but I would certainly believe that either or both could get pushed back. Making a dot durable enough to ride on pistol slides is hard.

There were a few places that were supposed to be getting shipments this week but I guess that all went to hell.

The sight radius is obviously a non issue but the added velocity of the G34 vs the G17 is marginal but is still relevant. Plus If you decide to run the same pistol in production I believe you would much prefer a G34 or G17. 

• 7 months later...
On 5/7/2019 at 4:43 PM, BASE772 said:

You will be happy with your choice. Especially the way better ejection of the Gen 5. Don’t have to worry about your optic batting the brass during ejection like the Gen 4.

F8C88F27-3239-4BC1-A110-D2BFDE4D0C7A.jpeg

I know this is an older thread but I am in this same boat now debating between the 17 and 34 MOS for CO. Curious now that it has been sometime if you are glad you went with the 17 or if you wish you would have gotten the 34 and why?

just regarding brass hitting optic, i have a gen 4 g17 with the slide milled (racer cut, so erased the rear sight dovetail) and have only done one match with it and maybe a box to sight in etc, but no indications of brass hitting the optic glass or frame (vortex viper).  i did have the racer cut milled to get it back further from brass and blast.  maybe sitting a little lower, vs on a plate, helps also.

I’m still getting it dialed in for the coming season but went with a G17 MOS. As pointed out to me, don’t really need the long sight radius of a 34 with an optic. A 4 in barrel facilitates quicker draws and faster Transitions. I can see the wisdom in getting a regular G17 and having it milled as it’s a slight Rube Goldberg with the MOs plate but got it to work with minimal effort.

I prefer muzzle heavy guns so being able to throw in an extended tungsten guide rod to add some frame weight up front leans me toward the 34.  I have a gen5 mos 34 non-FS with the front grip cutout.  I also have a non-cutout gen5 g17 frame with a gen4 brownells 34 Rmr cut slide and I love it.  The optic sits a lot lower than the mos and the slide weighs 1.1oz less so it’s a little happier with my 132PF loads.  I swapped in a gen4 trigger and slide stop so it’s basically just a gen4 without finger grooves and a flared magwell.  It also has a lighter break by about 6oz compared to the gen5 after installing lighter springs.  The only aftermarket trigger springs I’ve found for gen5s are from TTI, but they don’t reduce the weight as much as the commonly available “6# trigger springs” for gen4s. With Oem parts kit and a KKM gen5 barrel the total cost still came out to a little less than the MOS version too.

FCE12505-0790-47EF-86DC-2BC396AA4854.jpeg

On 1/2/2020 at 7:06 PM, davsco said:

just regarding brass hitting optic, i have a gen 4 g17 with the slide milled (racer cut, so erased the rear sight dovetail) and have only done one match with it and maybe a box to sight in etc, but no indications of brass hitting the optic glass or frame (vortex viper).  i did have the racer cut milled to get it back further from brass and blast.  maybe sitting a little lower, vs on a plate, helps also.

My gen 4 17 will eject about 1 of every 10 straight back into my face.  This is a non mos variant.