Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does the sight radius between a G17 and a G34 make a difference?

hugh

Enough difference to matter? 

If not, and you use a G34-what led you to it?

For example, you compete in CO, but use a G34...why not a G17, or for that matter a G19?

But I'm primarily interested in the issue of sight radius.

I find the the extra sight radius makes big difference.  Also while I really like the balance of the 17 I do prefer the way they 34 handles recoil.  I wouldn't say it's less recoil just has a different feel to it.

Hello: If you are interested in CO the sight radius does not come into play since the optic does the sighting for you. If you are shooting iron sights then yes, the sight radius comes into play. The G34 is nice to have that little bit longer sight radius for those longer head shots. Both are as accurate as the shooter but the longer sight radius makes it a little easier. Make sense? I have had or still have G19,G17, G34 and a G17L. I found the G17 is good for carry optics and the G34 is good for iron sights. I have not shot the Gen 5 G34 that does not have the slide cutout yet. I think it maybe a pretty nice soft shooter. Thanks, Eric

I personally don't buy into sight radius on pistols. The sights usually have so much space between notch and post. I think it's old timer bullseye dogma. 

If you were shooting bullseye, and we're talking 8" barrel vs 4", and you had target sights, then maybe. 

For USPSA and your running a thin front sight and a wide rear, I don't think it matters. 

Saying all that, I shoot a 34 in CO.  It gives a little more velocity. Though, that doesn't matter. The increased powder to get the same velocity from a 17 would be insignificant and most couldn't feel any difference. 

I just like the 34. I don't believe a 17 would be any worse or better. 

I think harder/longer shots usually require a lot more discipline/solid fundamentals. So people are quick to blame something like sight radius. 

I also think the Glock is very accurate. Its just less forgiving in my opinion.

Edited by B_RAD

Longer sight radius makes it easier to shoot more accurately, it's science ;). How significant a difference is it between a 17 and 34? Probably not that much. I do notice a difference though and I especially like the longer sight radius on the 24 I use for Limited.

giphy.gif

15 minutes ago, Magsz said:

Explain the science please.

Let's say you can see 0.01" difference in front sight position relative to rear sight notch. At 10 yards this translates to 10 yards * 3 ft/yard * 12 in/ft * 0.01" / 6.5" = 0.55" for Glock 17 with its 6.5" sight radius. For Glock 34 it will be 10 * 3 * 12 * 0.01 / 7.3 = 0.49". Not much of a difference, but not quite zero either.

Longer sight radius means your eye can better perceive small changes in sight alignment. And the same amount of imperfection in sight alignment equates to being less off your aiming point as sight radius increases. i.e., if front sight appears to be .01" off from perfectly aligned on both a 17 and 34, the POI will be further off on the 17.

I googled this as figured someone else had already written up a better explanation than I could give. This one seems ok: https://www.pewpewtactical.com/sight-radius/

ETA: I see I type too slow on my phone :)

Edited by Southpaw

13 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

I'm probably wrong but I still don't think it matters. 

Not with small barreld handguns with slopy sights. 

Sometimes it is easier to understand the principles at play if you exagerate a bit. Could you shoot a Glock 17 more accurately than a Derringer? Same with a 17 vs 34, although the difference is much less dramatic. 

35 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Sometimes it is easier to understand the principles at play if you exagerate a bit. Could you shoot a Glock 17 more accurately than a Derringer? Same with a 17 vs 34, although the difference is much less dramatic. 

No... I get the therory. It's easier to align to points and point them at another object when the two points are further apart. 

I'm just saying, I think you lose that when you use to the sights on most guns being used. As well as going from a G17 to a G34. I don't think it matters. 

Though, this is just like anything else. If it matters or makes a difference to someone then it makes a difference. 

it won't be that significant. the longer sight radius (and additional velocity) would give you a slight edge over the 17 but it doesn't buy you much imo. i do really like the the radius for the 34/35. I ran a 24 for a little while and found that the sight radius was too long and took more effort to get a good sight picture.

Started in CO with a 17 before I started loading my own ammo and was buying some “competition” ammo that was rated for certain PF from a 5” gun and I was afraid it wouldn’t make PF with the 4.5” 17. Instead of loading my own ammo I bought a 34 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and sold the 17 slide. Then I bought a couple more 34s, now I load my own ammo so the PF consideration is no more and I just bought another 17 slide to play with. Of course part of my rationale for the 34 was also looking at the big name Glock shooters and of course they’re shooting 34s even in CO so I assumed there was something to it. 

Ive been shooting a dot pretty much exclusively for long enough now that any discussion of sight radius is moot to me. There are differences in the feel, particularly in transitions and when coming out of the holster depending on how your holster is cut. 

Edited by Helios

For USPSA I like the 34. Others competing will have one so if you have any issues that’s nice to know. For GSSF, a 17 will give you more opportunities to compete, I believe. And it could double for bed stand duty. 

Sight radius for competition? IDPA/USPSA, the average shot is between 3 and 12 yards. No real difference.  And if you run Carry Optics, it's target focused, it has nothing to do with sight radius.