Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case blew up during rapid fire. Help me!

Schultz77

Hey guys I have never had anything like this happen. Was testing a light recoil hand load for competition this weekend. Was doing a bill drill, recoil was very light anyway so didn’t feel anything weird. On my last shot gas blew out the sides scaring the piss out of me. After checking my hands I realized everything was still there I just had gsr all over them. The brass had blown in half and the base was really deformed. A little was gone. Nothing in the barrel but I knocked the base of the brass out the other half is still there. What do you think happened? Squib the shot before? I dont think it was a double charge because it would have probably over flowed. What does it sound like to y’all? And do you think I should have the gun inspected before shooting again?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doubtful it was a squib. If it was, it likely would have bulged the barrel, which you would be able to see and feel. Most likely a bad case, or as said, a stepped case, which resulted in an overcharge. I can't say this enough, look into each and every case as you are reloading, before you seat the bullet.

I can't load a stepped case...using Dillon dies, it stops at the resizing die.

Case head separation, or it’s like a squib but it’s actually a detonation, meaning it’s a super light charge that had enough free space/air in the case to detonate vs burn like a normal rounds does.

If you go below the minimum charge weight it can be equally as catastrophic if an explosion as going drastically over the max charge with a fast powder.

I’d rather have a squib any day of the week that a 1 grain (light charge) of titegroup go off.

Think firecracker vs sparkler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Schultz77 said:

Do you think if it was a stepped case I would have been able to find this if I had plunk tested every round? I usually do every 5th round.

The ledge is inside with barely any indication from outside except for known headstamp. You have to look inside the case to know if it’s stepped or not.

1 hour ago, BigMoneyGrip said:

Did you get a centered hit on the primer? One firing out of battery will do what you described. 

Primer was gone but the brass left in the barrel is fully seated it looks like. And is still stuck there.

1 hour ago, Schultz77 said:

Do you think if it was a stepped case I would have been able to find this if I had plunk tested every round? I usually do every 5th round.

No, you can't see the step on the outside, other than knowing what headstamp has the stepped brass. Plunk test would have had no effect on finding it.

1 hour ago, Schultz77 said:

Primer was gone but the brass left in the barrel is fully seated it looks like. And is still stuck there.

I would put the barrel in the freezer for a few hours and use a dry bronze bore brush to remove the stuck half of the case, before the barrel has a chance to warm up. 

Insert the brush part way, twist and pull it back out.  The case should come out on the brush, because brass will expand and contract more than steel with varying temperatures.  

36 minutes ago, Ken6PPC said:

I would put the barrel in the freezer for a few hours and use a dry bronze bore brush to remove the stuck half of the case, before the barrel has a chance to warm up. 

Insert the brush part way, twist and pull it back out.  The case should come out on the brush, because brass will expand and contract more than steel with varying temperatures.  

Not to totally contradict but just spray some gun oil, wd40, or other lubricant in it to soak outside the case and use a brush, pick, tweezers, etc to remove.

the case expanded and wedged itself inside the chamber during firing but cools and shrinks after firing.  It happens every time you fire a round, you’re just missing the rim and extractor now.  There’s carbon that’s making it sticky