Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Solvent/oil suggestions

nick779

Ive been using Hoppes since I started shooting and im at the point where I want to try something else. The Hoppes just never really seems to stay where I want it even with thin coats.

Ive been looking at Slip 2000, FP-10, and Lucas Extreme as far as oils go, havent looked much at solvents.

What do you guys seem to like the most when it comes to solvents and oils?

Weapon Shield CLP oil and solvent.  Best of the 20 or so I've tried, by a long shot.

Second choice would be either Slip 2000 or their EWL oil.  Slip 2000 does evaporate but it leaves a residue that continues to lubricate.

Edited by zzt

LUcas gun oil is just their 2 cycle oil, repackaged and GROSSLY overpriced.  Hoppes solvent is kerosene with some scent enhancers.
Buy a qt of Mobile 1 oil, or 2cycle oil for lube and  a gallon of mineral spirits or kerosene for cleaner... Call it a day.

For solvents: brake cleaner in a spray can and WD-40 extreme penetrating oil.  No, it's not the original WD-40 in a blue can, this stuff is completely different.

For lubes: I have a collection of real oil (not frog lube crap) samples that I've accumulated over the years: Hoppe's gun oil, Beretta gun oil, the clear oil that came with a Geissele trigger, and a small bottle I filled with some free Mobil DTE-24.  They all work just fine.  For grease I use Lucas extreme pressure grease.

Oils with "gun" in the name are a rip off.  Non-toxic "lubes" are an even bigger joke.

For solvents I use break cleaner and ballistol. For lube I use slide glide. I also agree that gun solevents and lubes are repackaged oils and solevents you can buy by the gallon at the hardware store. 

Edited by Captiontom

Whale oil is the bees knees,, but for some reason is FROWNED UPON !
I use bees wax toilette seals in my cap and ball revolvers, cause it doesnt create tar with blackpowder like anything petrol based does.

4 hours ago, StephenG said:

So what’s the deal with this? Are there no non-toxic, non-petroleum based lubes that actually lube?

Ask yourself this: what automaker or engine maker recommends any non-petroleum, non-toxic lubricant?

Would you ever use any plant seed (coconut, rapeseed, corn, olive, etc) oil in any engine?  If not, why would you ever use it in a firearm, particularly a semi automatic firearm?

If someone is so worried about what comes in contact with their skin, nitrile gloves by the hundo are cheap.

Ask yourself this: what automaker or engine maker recommends any non-petroleum, non-toxic lubricant?

Would you ever use any plant seed (coconut, rapeseed, corn, olive, etc) oil in any engine?  If not, why would you ever use it in a firearm, particularly a semi automatic firearm?

If someone is so worried about what comes in contact with their skin, nitrile gloves by the hundo are cheap.

Interesting article about this topic.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/240/biodegradable-biobased-lubricants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

59 minutes ago, StephenG said:

Interesting article about this topic.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/240/biodegradable-biobased-lubricants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's very interesting, and with proper R&D I have no doubt that sometime in the future petroleum based lubricants will be mostly or completely replaced with vegetable-based alternatives.

But that future isn't now and it won't be the Frog Lubes of the world that will get us there.  When Exxon, Shell, and several other major petrochemicals crack the code, I'll bite.

Read a comment that technology has come a long way since Slide Glide came out 10 years aga.

Made me wonder, what are the latest and greatest gun lubricants? Any comparison studies?

Personally, I use brake cleaner and a dry type lube spray.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Strike Hold is the best cleaner I’ve used to date. I’ve used nearly every gun oil on the market and I’ve not found any that surpasses cheap 30W non detergent motor oil. It stays where you put it and a quart costs $4 and will last 12 lifetimes.

On 3/27/2019 at 10:53 AM, nick779 said:

The Hoppes just never really seems to stay where I want it even with thin coats.

Have you considered that you're using it wrong?

Oil is supposed to get everywhere, grease is supposed to stay in place. Two different products for two different purposes.

Edited by be032