Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Solvent/oil suggestions

nick779

8 hours ago, be032 said:

Have you considered that you're using it wrong?

Oil is supposed to get everywhere, grease is supposed to stay in place. Two different products for two different purposes.

When it near evaporates after sitting for a few weeks and looks dry after a short firing session, id say thats more a factor of the oil. I had a test packet of the Lucas Extreme duty and gave that a shot and it stayed much more in place, also tried some Pro-Shot CLP I had on hand and the same thing, the oily coating appeared to stay. Either way, I think im going to give Slip a shot, but also test some M1 0W20 and 5w30 I have laying around and do some rough comparisons after a 300-400 round session.

All this being said... now that I know I can get Slide Glide at the auto parts store.. well, thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I missed that post, which auto parts lubricant is the equivalent of slide glide?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, shakin_bakin said:

So you all are using brake cleaner to clean the carbon out of your guns and then using oil like 30w to lubricate the metal on metal parts? 

Will the brake cleaner not destroy the finish of the gun? 

Non chlorinated brake cleaner is easy on finishes. Hose it out, blow it dry and lube it up.  

9 hours ago, shakin_bakin said:

So you all are using brake cleaner to clean the carbon out of your guns and then using oil like 30w to lubricate the metal on metal parts? 

Brake cleaner isn't any good against crusty carbon buildup in the throat (but that's mostly a rifle issue).  Brake cleaner is an awesome cleaner and degreaser against the sludge composed of soot and old lubricants that builds up inside the action of semi auto handguns, rifles, and shotguns.

General cleaning - Brake Cleaner

Hard Carbon (comp build up, carbon in rifle barrels, etc) - Boretech C4 Carbon Remover. Soak a comp overnight, sludge comes out with a qtip. (will stain aluminum)

Copper - Boretech Cu2 copper remover

Oil - Lucas or FP10 because the amount that is given out at matches Is virtually a lifetime supply

Grease - Any high pressure grease. Currently Montana extreme, or some slide glide from match goodie bags.

2 hours ago, DWFAN said:

Hard Carbon (comp build up, carbon in rifle barrels, etc) - Boretech C4 Carbon Remover. Soak a comp overnight, sludge comes out with a qtip. (will stain aluminum)

Oil - Lucas or FP10 because the amount that is given out at matches Is virtually a lifetime supply

Grease - Any high pressure grease. Currently Montana extreme, or some slide glide from match goodie bags.

Concur.  I'll add that the Slip2000 carbon cutter products (citrus smell) work awesome as well.  It's all I use to clean precision rifle bores as well as shotgun chokes.

4 hours ago, DWFAN said:

Any preference between the Lucas or FP10?

Any preference between the Lucas or FP10?
Not really. Lucas is a little thicker, but both seem to stick around where you need them. Weaponshield is probably another good one since I believe he originally developed FP-10.

• 2 weeks later...

Mobil 1 5W20 is my go to....Typically have some leftover from change the oil in my Wife's Tahoe...Been running it for years on every gun I own....Shotguns, ARs, pistols, bolt guns, lever guns, .......All that other gun oil is just over priced snake oil.....

The gun industry just doesn't sell enough oil to make it's own...they steal from other industries...

You do need to be careful to not get the brake cleaner on your grip tape, if you use it. It will break the adhesive bond.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I’ve used Slip 2000 for the last few years and it worked great, I recently purchased some Hoppes Black to try since it was time to get more oil/cleaner and so far I’m pretty impressed  I personally like how thin the oil is and seems to leave a nice thin coat on everything, time will tell how it does in the summer heat compared to the Slip oils.