Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opinions on 9 mm Compensators?

I have a new JP GMR-15 that came with their standard compensator.  The barrel is 16" so the comp is not pinned and welded and, thus removable.   My question is how useful is a compensator on a 9 mm PCC shooting minor power factor loads?  Is the powder gas volume enough to do any good?

Removing the comp would open up a whole world of plated and coated ammunition for my use since spitting plating fragments out of the ports and coating buildup will not be an issue.  I have a case of Blazer Brass and many hundreds of reloads using 125 gr Blue bullets, both of which I'd like to be able to use.

So, if I remove the comp and replace it with a thread protector, am I sacrificing anything significant?  Your advice is gratefully received.

Unless you are shooting a very light hand load below 125 PF (pf out of a pistol) then the comp will likely do at least something with the gas available. I confirmed this with my own testing and you can too easily enough as someone above suggested. But the work the comp is doing may not be worth the increased weight on the end of the barrel, which will slow your transitions. That was the determination I made, but its an individual preference. The greatest improvements in flatness I have found for PCC have been in getting the bolt and buffer system right and using a fairly light load. 

Edited by Blockader
clarity

I think the bigger question is also whether or not you'll really feel or notice it doing anything if you're shooting with a blowback system.  In my case, I shoot mostly factory stuff as I don't handload....and even with the lightest-kicking stuff (Blazer Brass and Aguila 115, for me), with a blowback system the jolt from the kick may be overcoming whatever the comp may be doing with that little gas, especially if you short-stroke the cycle.  So to me, the only real benefit I can notice from the comp is a little more noise for the timer to pick up since the bang is so much softer, especially outdoors.

Edited by MoRivera
14 hours ago, MoRivera said:

I think the bigger question is also whether or not you'll really feel or notice it doing anything if you're shooting with a blowback system.  In my case, I shoot mostly factory stuff as I don't handload....and even with the lightest-kicking stuff (Blazer Brass and Aguila 115, for me), with a blowback system the jolt from the kick may be overcoming whatever the comp may be doing with that little gas, especially if you short-stroke the cycle.  So to me, the only real benefit I can notice from the comp is a little more noise for the timer to pick up since the bang is so much softer, especially outdoors.

If you want lighter loads check out the Federal Syntech 150gr stuff. It's very similar to my 147gr loads in how it performs in my PCC.

Also look into a Blitzkrieg buffer hydraulic buffer. It has a softer impulse but that also means the cycle rate is a hair slower. Blitzkrieg just came out with a heavy duty hydraulic buffer to handle more so I'm going to try it with factory ammo or even 124 gr loads and see how it goes. I know a PCC will never be as smooth or soft as an AR but damn I want to it get close 😛

Hello: Jack, I only made two of those special barrel end thingy's and will not be making any more. They are titanium and made from medical parts I got from a doctor years ago. If you want reduced recoil on a blow back AR9 work on the buffer/bolt setup and your loads. 124 grain bullets at 131-134PF seems to be the sweet spot. Thanks, Eric

On 2/6/2019 at 8:22 AM, mellino19 said:

If you want lighter loads check out the Federal Syntech 150gr stuff. It's very similar to my 147gr loads in how it performs in my PCC.

Also look into a Blitzkrieg buffer hydraulic buffer. It has a softer impulse but that also means the cycle rate is a hair slower. Blitzkrieg just came out with a heavy duty hydraulic buffer to handle more so I'm going to try it with factory ammo or even 124 gr loads and see how it goes. I know a PCC will never be as smooth or soft as an AR but damn I want to it get close 😛

I have a Blitzkrieg RB5000 as well as a wave spring as my buffer system already, which helps cushion the jolt well, but yeah I've heard about the 150-gr Syntech.  I have shot some Freedom 147's that I shoot plates/steel with and are listed at around 940fps, but they cycled things a bit slow and even though the 'jolt' was softer, the muzzle movement seemed a bit longer.  With 115's, even though there's more jolt, it seems that the dot moves less overall and I'm more quickly back on target.

Edited by MoRivera

I use the comp mainly to *add* weight to the end, which helps with double-tap accuracy in USPSA stages.  I've got a Taccom 5" barrel with 11" shroud for steel challenge matches, but it's too light and squirrley for me to get acceptable accuracy with fast double-taps at 15 yard, no-shoot bracketed targets.  As others have mentioned the comp is there to make the shot timer pick up the shots, add weight, and look neat (MBX Extreme in red.)

The MBX comp seems to do a bit to fight muzzle rise, but with the MPX it already has virtually no recoil.  Go with either the MPX or the CMMG Radial system if you don't want to spend a lot of time matching ammo to buffers and messing with spring weights, ect.  My MPX with HOT factory is slightly lighter shooting than the best tuned blowback I've shot (-P load matched to a set of buffer springs and weights through months of testing in a JP GMR-15 chassis), and blows away untuned blowback guns.

In another thread I voiced my opinion on what comps do in a 9 rifle, but

because I am always looking for something to make my rifle run more soft and flat,

I am willing to experiment.

Bought a Cannible comp. Ports only on the top. Great looking and well made.

Better than most comps I have tried as far as looks and quality.

It gave me the same movement as  without a comp on the gun. I tried it 180 to the left, 180 to the right

and then up side down. Nothing.

Done buying comps. Left it on for the cool factor.

Please don't tell me to choose a slow powder to get more out of the comp. I have a accurate, very mild load that is reliable. I have tried friends

slow burning loads and could not feel much if any difference.

If anyone wants to know my load, It's WST, 3grs., 155 gr.coated bullets made by my shooting friend. Gun is a

Olympic Arms, 16 in barrel, Blitz. buffer system. Had the barrel cut down to .625. Weights 6-1/2 lbs.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

In Our testing the 135 grain bullet gave us the best results , fast cycles, accurate, and dot movement , when we went above 135 the recoil was less but the cycles were slower and on long shots accuracy suffered . I believe most of the pros are shooting somewhere from 124 to 135 grain bullets . FYI 

18 hours ago, MoRivera said:

I have a Blitzkrieg RB5000 as well as a wave spring as my buffer system already, which helps cushion the jolt well, but yeah I've heard about the 150-gr Syntech.  I have shot some Freedom 147's that I shoot plates/steel with and are listed at around 940fps, but they cycled things a bit slow and even though the 'jolt' was softer, the muzzle movement seemed a bit longer.  With 115's, even though there's more jot, it seems that the dot moves less overall and I'm more quickly back on target.

100% agree with you on the feeling from 147s vs 115s that's why I'm switching to 124gr first to try out and may even just get 115gr factory ammo. I was going to get to the new Taccom barrel with the MBX-style comp but then found the CK Arms comp which is very similar and decided to put that on a 14.5" I already have to try it out.

I also have the Blitzkrieg RB5015HD on the way and already have their 2.6z of weight so I'm curious to see how the rifle runs and feels with different ammo testing and that new setup.

The guys at Blitzkrieg said Max Leograndis was running the new HD buffer and weight in his PCC (at least because he started running the LimCat Tron PCC most recently) and his gun is super quick an flat...again that also boils down to loads, gun set up, and lots of practice/skill. Check out his Instagram page (maxamundi) and look at some PCC runs, it's insane.

I have some 124-gr reloads from Freedom that I also tried out and it didn't feel much different than, say, Blazer Brass 115-gr.  A little softer maybe, as it also feels from a pistol, which is why I got it but it's somehow not as accurate from my handgun.  Newly-made 124's had been good, so it just may be inconsistency in the reloaded stuff.

On 2/6/2019 at 3:54 PM, dmshozer1 said:

It gave me the same movement as  without a comp on the gun. I tried it 180 to the left, 180 to the right

and then up side down. Nothing.

Done buying comps. Left it on for the cool factor.

LOL!!!