Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most reliable slide ride optic...

PrimaryBruce

I’ll be milling the slide for my personal SP-01 soon. Was pretty set on a Deltapoint Pro but there’s just way too much mixed stuff for me to be confident in it. We have customers who report failures from as soon as 3k rounds to some over 30k. Doesn’t exactly instill confidence in an optic. 

Trijicon RMR would be my number 1 go-to, but it’s too wide for an SP-01 slide without Trijicons ridiculously priced and ugly 1911 RMR adapter.

i keep reading people are putting Romeo 3’s on slide ride guns. It seems like I don’t read much good about the Romeo 1’s. Are the 3’s better and what kind of round count do people have on them?

1 minute ago, PrimaryBruce said:

So that’s still the go to? Lol

jist replace every ~8k or so rounds (if you’re lucky) and live with it?

Leupold will fix your DPP if it fails. It's not like you have to buy a new one.

I've got well over 15k on one without a issue.

1 minute ago, Explosiveo said:

Leupold will fix your DPP if it fails. It's not like you have to buy a new one.

I've got well over 15k on one without a issue.

We have a few customers with over 30k. But the huge majority don’t seem to be going passed 6-10k.

We have a few customers with over 30k. But the huge majority don’t seem to be going passed 6-10k.
Interesting. I have three of them. Had a issue with one. That I got used on a gun. Unknown round count but judging from who I got it from prob very high. Guessing well over 10k. Was shutting off after like 5 min if not in use. Sent it to Leupold and it was fixed in a week.
Imo the quality of the DPP can't be beat right now. I try to always have a backup gun if I am competing in case something goes south during a match.
I have them on open guns and a carry optics gun. Very few issues over a couple years of shooting.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

DP takes care of you even if you aren’t the original owner. I am liking mine on my open gun and will have second one shortly on a Carry optics gun. Very easy to use. A little smaller window than the RTS2. 

8 minutes ago, theWacoKid said:

If it's 'toughest' that I need I'm going RMR. 

The rest just aren't being built to be as bullet proof. 

RMR is what I’d be using if I didn’t also have to buy a $180 1911 adapter plate that has rear sights made on it I don’t want and a front sight I can’t use even if I wanted to use the rear. Lol

I've moved from DDP to Romeo 1 6moa's

3 moa's work fine but I have a hard time seeing the 3moa in bright sun.

6moa's are much brighter, almost like a completely different sight

one has about 6500 on it the other is fairly new maybe a 1000

I've had extremely good success with  Vortex Vipers. 

Had a first production model that lost zero after a defensive handgun class with some one handed manipulation, but the one I run on a Glock for CO just won't stop. 

My experience may not be the norm, but I've been quite pleased. The Viper guns get shot way more than my RMR guns 

Y'all  did the cut on my EDC blaster. Tons of practice reps and classes and it keeps on ticking. 

6AE42F04-9A92-497F-A336-264B7E5ECD41.jpeg

1 hour ago, Dirty_J said:

I've had extremely good success with  Vortex Vipers. 

Had a first production model that lost zero after a defensive handgun class with some one handed manipulation, but the one I run on a Glock for CO just won't stop. 

My experience may not be the norm, but I've been quite pleased. The Viper guns get shot way more than my RMR guns 

Y'all  did the cut on my EDC blaster. Tons of practice reps and classes and it keeps on ticking. 

6AE42F04-9A92-497F-A336-264B7E5ECD41.jpeg

Haha nice, I love to see guns we did actually dirty and used.

Venom crossed my mind too, but it seems like everywhere I turn the Deltapoint Pro and RMR seem to always be talked about as the two most durable.

Ive had a Venom. Didn't like it nearly as much at the Viper. Venom has a multi-piece housing and the viper being one piece. 

If you're gonna beat the crap out of it.. it's hard to beat the RMR. The shape of the housing has it leaps and bounds above everyone else for impact resistance. It does have the smallest window of them all... so until you have lots of reps on it.. its learning curve for dot presentation will be higher. 

Personally.. I find the blue lens tint and very slight magnification (like 1.05x) of the RMR distracting... so if something like that Viper isn't in consideration, I'd go DPP

I use a Viper. 

1st one got warranted at about 3k, the lense adhesive failed, which caused a zero shift, which was progressive and not immediately evident, made for an unfun match.

Replacement does not seem as bright, and gets a ton of glare on the lense when the emitter faces a low angle light, turns the whole screen red and renders the sight useless, happens a lot in winter. The first never did that.

Slide's milled so not many options.

Okay, I'll chime in.  Five Burris FF3s 8MOA.  Three are slide mounted.  The oldest is on my oldest 1911 45 44,000 rounds of major (172PF) and bullseye (156PF) without an issue.  

I had three RTS2v4s, but sold one.  All 6MOA.  One is slide mounted on a custom 45.  The slide was milled to take the sight.  No issues.

I have three DPPs in 2.5MOA.  One is frame mounted on my backup open gun.  One is slide mounted on my super light custom reciprocating slide 22 upper I use for Steel Challenge.  The third is slide mounted on my Steel Challenge Open gun.  Two full seasons shooting each with no problems.

I shoot A LOT.  I've never had a failure I could attribute to recoil.  I had one DPP fail almost immediately.  DP said something on the circuit board separated.  They fixed it, and I'm still shooting it.

I love the RTS2s, but they eat batteries.  If you want to use one for Steel Challenge, change batteries halfway through the match.  Even then, the are not as bright as the DPPs.  A battery in a FF3 will last years.  It gradually gets dimmer, but so slowly you don't notice.  I was having problems seeing the dot on white steel in bright sunlight, so I tried the others.  Eventually a battery went.  I put a new one in and was astounded by how bright it was.  It was definitely bright enough for steel.  Now I change my FF# batteries once a year, need it or not.

BTW, they all hold zero when slide mounted.

The one sight I would never, ever buy again is the Slideride.