Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nationals Survey

dvc4you

Where does the 115gr hype in Open come from? I see only 13% that loaded 115s at Nationals, on the other hand 77% shot either 124/125gr.

115 Fans, what say you?

Is it because of 9Major surge or just because pushing a bullet at 1,500 FPS beats up your gun unnecessarily?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I shot 115's last year.  Very crisp and predictable.

I tried 124's this year, since I shot IPSC Nationals I wouldn't have to change from the 115s for one match, I just shot the 124's all year.

124's feel different, not better or worse, just different to me.

2 hours ago, dvc4you said:

Where does the 115gr hype in Open come from? I see only 13% that loaded 115s at Nationals, on the other hand 77% shot either 124/125gr.

115s give you a lot more gas to work the poppels and comp.  The downside is that much powder fills the case and requires a compressed load.  If you do not use the right sizer and crimper, the rounds will 'grow' over time.  Another problem is powder spilling out of the case when the case moves to the next station.  That's why the majority shoot 124s.  Much less spillage, no or minimal 'growth', and not a big difference in feel.

Here is a picture I copied from a Shooting Sports article about a guy developing 9mm major 115 loads.  You can see how full the cases are with various powders.

9majorsb-figure-4.thumb.jpg.e06779b7650069d648d838783144d81c.jpg

Edited by zzt

I "started" shooting OPEN with 115's and HS6 but didn't

like how much powder there was in the case, and how little

room there was to seat the bullet,

so I switched to WAC (1 gr less than HS6) and the 124 gr

bullet (another 1 gr less than the 115 gr bullet).

Now I have all the room in the case that I like - no spillage

at the reloader.

I actually preferred the feel of the lighter bullet, but it did NOT

get me to an A card, so I left and went to the heavier bullet.

BTW, you don't know how many of the Top Ten shooters

used 115 gr bullets.     :) 

I would say most before I have never tried them. They have always shot 124s, so why change.

Some (the minority if I were to guess) tried 115s but preferred 124s for one reason or another.

115s get a lot of talk on Enos, but you have to remember that we are a small group of the larger shooting population.

8 minutes ago, 36873687 said:

Most stay with 124 because of ipsic rules an having to be a 120 grain limit I believe 

MG 121 IFP is a pretty good compromise. 😉

ETA: But there is a buttload of 124s to choose from!

Edited by ChuckS

Hello: I like the 115 the best, then 121's. The 115's are a little more snappy but return back on target quicker for me. The recoil impulse seems shorter than the 124's as well. Since I have been having issues with my strong arm and elbow the 115's seem like they don't aggravate my elbow as much as the heavier bullets do shooting major. Accuracy with JHP's is very good and since I load them long at 1.170" OAL there is lots of room for the powders I use. Lastly 115's are a little cheaper than 124's. Thanks, Eric

Currently shooting single stack with 145 gr over 3.7 gr WSF.  Makes minor power factor with very soft "push".  With an 8 lb recoil spring, double taps have the gun returning back to the target with no muzzle dip at all.

MG 115 JHP's are capable of very good accuracy, if the load, gun & shooter are up to it.

10 shots in one ragged hole at 50 yards is what I expect from them from a few of my guns.

I just got 1K of the 115 CMJ's, but haven't had a chance to shoot groups with them yet. Was surprised a little that they chrono'd 1.5 PF slower than my 115JHP's with same 10.7 grain charge of AA#7 and OAL (1.165). The 115 CMJ (.558") is only .003" longer than the 115 JHP (.555"). Bullet diameter is identical, but the bearing surface looks like it may be a very small bit less with the CMJ - my guess as to why it is a bit slower with everything else the same.

If accuracy with the MG 115 CMJ's is as good as the JHP's, I will probably switch to them. Won't miss picking corn cob out of JHP's :)

just go to your caliber,, ( assuming 9mm here) reloading section then search your bullet PLUS SIGN your powder,, probably a metric butt ton of data posted in threads... unless you are using something crazy

53 minutes ago, Posvar said:

Are most starting with the same powder charge when they switch from 124 to 115 and then chrono and adjust from there? I will order 1k to try. Who isn't always looking for the next level/edge when shooting?

If using the same bullet profile loaded to the same OAL, simple math gets you close.   124x7.8gr of HS6 equals 967.2,  divide that by 115 and you are at 8.4gr.  It is a good starting spot, as I ended up at 8.6gr for my preferred load.   I have used that simple formula to pick most of my charge weights when switching bullet weights.