Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walther new steel frame competition Q5

mikeAZ

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, WxGuy said:

Copy.  When were your Canik magazine springs replaced?

They are a year old. I have put probably 6,000 rounds through them rotating through all 6 magazines. Basically I shoot 6 magazines at a time when I shoot and rotate them. So each magazine has roughly 1,000 rounds placed into it. (These have the grams springs and followers, with TF base pads)
I have some brand new canik magazines for my wifes gun that have never even been used I could test. (completely factory)

I will say, the Canik mags had less play.

Only around 1000 rounds in on mine, no issues or failures yet. Main issue I've had is my thumb frequently finds its way on top of the slide lock, preventing lock at end of mag. I'm not seeing the wear from mag wobble like others seem to be.

About 200 rounds ago I put a Wolff Glock 17 - 12 pound spring on the original steel guide rod - working just fine so far.

Only thing I'd like to change is to improve the trigger a bit. Anyone tried the Apex on these recently (are they now OK for the SF)? The Walther competition trigger looks great but I can't imagine it will be approved for production.

@tombo131 You could try the SpringCo ppq/q5 spring kit upgrade. Ive used it on the polymer version for over a year and love it. I just got an SF and installed it on that too, improves the weight and feel quite a bit in my opinion. Others have said that this kit causes issues with the dingus safety, personally I have not experienced this yet but it probably depends on how you grip the gun. There is a youtube video on how to install the kit, not too complicated, only two springs. I dont know if they have the kit direct on their website, I had to call and ask for it. Only $20 ish if I recall. 

Would you mind telling me what exact spring you used on the recoil system? Is there any modifications or tricks to installing it? 

3 hours ago, Brophy-J said:

@tombo131 You could try the SpringCo ppq/q5 spring kit upgrade. Ive used it on the polymer version for over a year and love it. I just got an SF and installed it on that too, improves the weight and feel quite a bit in my opinion. Others have said that this kit causes issues with the dingus safety, personally I have not experienced this yet but it probably depends on how you grip the gun. There is a youtube video on how to install the kit, not too complicated, only two springs. I dont know if they have the kit direct on their website, I had to call and ask for it. Only $20 ish if I recall. 

Would you mind telling me what exact spring you used on the recoil system? Is there any modifications or tricks to installing it? 

Thank you, I'll give the Sprinco springs a try. The Wolff SKU number I bought was 43712 - Glock 17, 17L - 12# spring. The tapered end of the spring had to be opened up a bit with needle nose pliers to get it going on to the rod, but that was it. 

I’m using the SpringCo trigger springs.  The safety blade does have nearly as much pressure now as the reduced weight trigger itself, so your technique has to be on point to get the trigger to pull without engaging the safety.  If you pull straight back and/or depending on your hand size and ergonomics it could be a non-issue or a big problem.  I’m taking it as a teaching point to improve my trigger pull technique, but sometimes I dont get my finger on it just right and the safety catches.

using just one of the two springco trigger springs might be an option for some people.

personally, I refuse to shave down the trigger safety.  I may want to return to a 100% stock trigger at some point.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2019 at 9:06 PM, Xav91 said:

So, some updates. Gun went back to Walther. Impressive turn around, they got it back to me in within a week! Changed the barrel and bent extractor but nothing for the mag/magwell fitting issue. So I called in to ask. The service guy said that the engineering in Germany is aware of the issue. It's a manufacturing issue and they are looking on how to solve it...  so my updated plastic guides are back in...

Let us know if the double-feed extraction issue is solved with what they replaced, or whether still having them.  If so, do your custom mag guides resolve that?  I'm sending mine back to Walther for same issues.

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, highhope said:

Got failure to extract from Q5sf (changed 13lb reoil spring), both canik and factory mags, how to fix this?...

13.jpg

222.jpg

Have you pulled the slide off and placed an empty case in the extractor hook? You should not be able to shake it loose and if you can you need more extractor tension or a better bite on the case. 

40 minutes ago, bwikel said:

Have you pulled the slide off and placed an empty case in the extractor hook? You should not be able to shake it loose and if you can you need more extractor tension or a better bite on the case. 

yes, I tried, can not shake the case off....

Hello,

Who are the top competition gunsmiths for the Walther Q5 and Q5 SF?  Looking into having a professional trigger job done and maybe some other competition related work.

Thank you!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard anything about a factory fix to the magazine wobble/slide wear issue?  I haven't been seeing these for sale lately and I wondered if Walther is holding them back to do a fix.

Edited by Almo
Added coment.

On 5/28/2019 at 7:34 PM, shakin_bakin said:

I used my Canik magazines in it this weekend. I had one round in the first 50 nose dive into the feed ramp and jammed the gun. 

I’ll keep trying to see if I can replicate it

I ran 18+2 sfx with the Cain +2 or 3 extensions and had several nose dive rnds!! I am going to try them in the stock configuration and see if they work better. Also they would not hod the slide open.  JD

On 7/13/2019 at 6:59 PM, JDIllon said:

I ran 18+2 sfx with the Cain +2 or 3 extensions and had several nose dive rnds!! I am going to try them in the stock configuration and see if they work better. Also they would not hod the slide open.  JD

Yea, I found out that was my fault. The OAL of that round was to long.

On 7/13/2019 at 6:10 PM, Almo said:

Has anyone heard anything about a factory fix to the magazine wobble/slide wear issue?  I haven't been seeing these for sale lately and I wondered if Walther is holding them back to do a fix.

They aren't being held back, they are everywhere online https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/723364213779 and SF Pro https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/723364213885 

I have the SF Pro, can't use the mag well for USPSA carry optics, but it does come with three 17 round magazines.  I had magazines for my polymer Q5 with + 5 TTI magazine extensions  that gave me 20 rounds each mag and they work in the SF with the mag well.  With my Polymer Q5 I could Barney up (one in the pipe and 20 in the mag) with no problem.  With the TTI I couldn't Barney up as there was to much pressure on the slide and caused the first round fired/cycle to malfunction.   Also, I discovered my reloads  that what worked well with the polymer Q5 were to short (col) for the SF Q5 as I had multiple malfunctions and a few failure to lock back on last round fired.  I increased the COL and made the rounds hotter and my first competition I had Zero malfunctions.  I did notice some magazine side to side free play, but nothing like the video I had seen posted.  

Edited by Confederado

Changed the recoil spring to the 12# Glock, gun ran great with my minor loads and still seemed to shoot just fine with factory ammo. The effort the charge the slide is noticeably easier. JD

Edited by JDIllon

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 3:35 PM, JDIllon said:

Changed the recoil spring to the 12# Glock, gun ran great with my minor loads and still seemed to shoot just fine with factory ammo. The effort the charge the slide is noticeably easier. JD

I've seen many different variations on changing the spring. what setup did you go with?

5 minutes ago, Piracy85 said:

I've seen many different variations on changing the spring. what setup did you go with?

I used the #43712 12lbs Glock spring from Wolf. Just opened up the small end to fit over the Q5 guide rod. And it seems to be working great. Only put about 100rnds thru it so far. But it racks much easier than with the stock spring. I am shooting minor loads and they eject with no problem.  JD