Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walther new steel frame competition Q5

mikeAZ

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Q5SF is barely a month old. Before I even went to the range the first time I had: installed both Sprinco springs, installed a " keithwhite100" extractor spring, and installed a ZR guiderod with a 1/8" X 1/8" hole drilled into the center. On top is a non captured Wilson 5" 1911 flatwire 13# spring.

The gun runs superbly. The mags wobble but do not hit the slide anywhere. I  have now about 450 total rounds thru it including one local USPSA CO match. I'm using Taylor Freelance +6 extensions which give me 21 without a barney. Mine was NOT the "Match" version. I got the TF magwell and some TF slam pads in case I want to run it in IDPA CO. It' fits the IDPA box in this configuration and weighs in at exactly 44oz. with a Viper.

I have not had ONE malfunction of any kind in the rounds I've shot as configured. I DO need to do something about the funky plastic trigger safety. As mentioned, anything less than a textbook perfect pull can result in no bang. That's the only thing, in my opinion, left to mod.

And to decide if I'm going SRO or DPP to replace the Viper that came off my S&W Victory. I need to get behind one of each of those first, but I'm up in the sticks of Vt. and don't know anyone with either one.

Oh yeah. My rounds are 147gr. DG FP's over 3.2gr of VV N-320 @ 1.148". They run about 880-900 thru the SF perfectly.

I've been reading everything I can I on this gun as well as watching all the YouTube videos available, and I'm confused and would like some clarification.  At the last few NRA conventions, I do whatever the rest of you do, fondle everyone's guns, including Walther.  I've noticed a nice improvement in their quality and feel.  To their credit, they came out with a competition worthy firearm, the steel frame Q5.  My confusion lies in their price point.  My Sig P320 X5 needed a Gray guns kit to really blossom, so with the gun and the upgrades, I have about a grand in my Sig.  Most people, whether they like Sig or not, consider them a step up in quality over some other firearms.  The SF Q5 starts at about $1500 and from what you guys are saying, it still needs a trigger and springs.  The question I've been long winded to get to, is the SF Q5 worth an approximate 50% price increase and then have to put in upgrades?  I'd love to hear factual reasons as opposed to fan based opinions please.

On 8/29/2019 at 5:54 AM, Polaris13 said:

I've been reading everything I can I on this gun as well as watching all the YouTube videos available, and I'm confused and would like some clarification.  At the last few NRA conventions, I do whatever the rest of you do, fondle everyone's guns, including Walther.  I've noticed a nice improvement in their quality and feel.  To their credit, they came out with a competition worthy firearm, the steel frame Q5.  My confusion lies in their price point.  My Sig P320 X5 needed a Gray guns kit to really blossom, so with the gun and the upgrades, I have about a grand in my Sig.  Most people, whether they like Sig or not, consider them a step up in quality over some other firearms.  The SF Q5 starts at about $1500 and from what you guys are saying, it still needs a trigger and springs.  The question I've been long winded to get to, is the SF Q5 worth an approximate 50% price increase and then have to put in upgrades?  I'd love to hear factual reasons as opposed to fan based opinions please.

It's not $1500, you can find them around $1150-$1200. An all steel frame cost more than a polymer infused grip. It doesn't "NEED" a different trigger or springs, but most people modify them to their personal preferences. I shot mine stock for the first few months I had it and have only changed the recoil spring and guide rod. The stock trigger is great. 

Edited by Prov1x

7 minutes ago, Prov1x said:

It's not $1500, you can find them around $1150-$1200. An all steel frame cost more than a polymer infused grip. It doesn't "NEED" a different trigger or springs, but most people modify them to their personal preferences. I shot mine stock for the first few months I had it and have only changed the recoil spring and guide rod. The stock trigger is great. 

Walther sent me a replacement captured guide rod with lower power spring when I called saying I was having issues with low power factor rounds. The only mod the trigger needs is in the trigger safety spring if you have a very high grip.

On 8/29/2019 at 5:54 AM, Polaris13 said:

Had my first SF since January. If you shoot competition you will most likely need recoil spring upgrades unless you find factory ammo you like. Walther tests using White box and heavier hollowpoints. Walther  customer service is good and helped me out early on. There has been a few SFs for sale on this forum for $1100-$1200 already. Granted that’s still more than the sig and I can’t speak to Sig upgrade costs.Walther has offered a great contingency program the last few years for IDPA and USPSA competitions also. For example, a 1st SSP Master win at qualifying match pays $1000. The SF allows you to shoot SSP, ESP, Carry Optics and Production. 

Trigger upgrades on then SF are simple. Springco is the go to on this right now. $20 worth of springs and good to go if you just want weight decrease from stock. Call and ask for Alan if you need help. 

Easy upgrade route on recoil springs would also be Springco. You will need to take measurement of your guide rod notch on take down lever as there can be slight differences. Other option is ZR Tactical rod and you drill the hole and select flat wire spring of your choice. Or call  Walther and get reduced captured version. $80-$110 depending on option.

Earls Repair service has SF parts available also. So if you were to experiment you could have spare parts on hand ahead of time.  Grip screws, Extractor, Safety Plungers, Barrels etc. they ship fast also. 

Walthertop shooter keeps his gun stock and is competing at the highest level and I’m sure Sig does also. Neither is a magic wand that will take place of practice and I’m sure side by side you could find advantages/disadvantages to both. 

5 minutes ago, PokerNGuns said:

Easy upgrade route on recoil springs would also be Springco. You will need to take measurement of your guide rod notch on take down lever as there can be slight differences. Other option is ZR Tactical rod and you drill the hole and select flat wire spring of your choice. Or call  Walther and get reduced captured version. $80-$110 depending on option.

Sprinco now has on their website a guide rod and spring specifically for the SF - it has the notch to allow the takedown lever to return.

4 hours ago, PocketPistol said:

Walther sent me a replacement captured guide rod with lower power spring when I called saying I was having issues with low power factor rounds. The only mod the trigger needs is in the trigger safety spring if you have a very high grip.

That is your "need" not the gun. The gun will run fine as is and doesn't "need" any modifications for factory ammo. 

When people speak in completes, as in "the trigger needs", means it doesn't work as it is from the factory and it "needs" to be modified or fixed to work correctly and that's simply not the case. 

On 3/13/2019 at 8:16 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

Factory on left, exaggerated adjustment on right.

C3014F19-1360-47B7-993C-AE6F8693B833.jpeg.78c36d7e6f3a9a727a7d01ad2c6e621d.jpeg

Yes. It does. The spring in the safety blade is nearly as strong as the trigger spring now. It’s easy to move the trigger back and pin the safety against the frame with any imperfect pull.

I think I found the solution to the stiff trigger safety.  My q5 did this for  A couple of hundred rounds and then stopped being so stiff,  I think it just needed to be broken in .  So on my new SF I taped the trigger safety closed with a small strip of painters tape for a week and now the spring on the TS is much less stiff and it seems the problem is gone (without having to trim this piece). 

On 8/30/2019 at 12:52 PM, Prov1x said:

That is your "need" not the gun. The gun will run fine as is and doesn't "need" any modifications for factory ammo. 

When people speak in completes, as in "the trigger needs", means it doesn't work as it is from the factory and it "needs" to be modified or fixed to work correctly and that's simply not the case. 

Mine did not work from the factory.  Trigger safety would engage during normal trigger pulls and thus was not deemed reliable.   

Mine did not work from the factory.  Trigger safety would engage during normal trigger pulls and thus was not deemed reliable.   
This was an issue for many folks, including myself. In addition, the plunger spring was binding causing the trigger to feel worse than a stock glock trigger. I sent mine in for these issues and I still ended up fixing these issues myself.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Polaris13 said:

Thank you guys for taking the time to respond.  I have more to think about.

I bought one about a month ago, love the gun it shoots great. The only thing I did was spend $20.00 Springco trigger kit and 12lbs# Glock recoil spring. I just felt the recoil sprig was really stiff for me and my loads. I shoot mainly CZs but I really really like this gun. Just my .02

JD

On 8/29/2019 at 6:54 AM, Polaris13 said:

I have owned 2 Q5 Steel Frames and ended up selling both of them. They both had extraction issues and I tried several things to correct this. Admittedly, I bought them early in the production cycle and am told that Walther has corrected the issue. I gave up trying to fix the issue once my fourth call/contact  with Walther ended with them telling me to shoot only their recommended ammo list (115gr Winchester, Federal, Fiocci, etc.), which isn't appropriate for competition. Plus, they said that if I sent them the gun and it shot their ammo correctly, they would charge me a gunsmithing fee. Talk about adding insult to injury. So, I threw in the towel and had my Shadow 2s milled for CO. 

Regarding modifications- I modified recoil spring and guiderod as one possible fix for weak extraction. The Sprinco kit came with a trigger mod as well.  Aside from the extraction issue, I don't think trigger mods are needed, even for competition, on the SF. I think it's a great striker trigger out of the box. Not as good as a hammer trigger, but that is not a reasonable comparison.

Regarding price, it is fairly easy to find them for around $1,300, no tax. 

I have not shot the X5 Legion and cannot make a knowledgeable comparison. However, so long as the extraction issue has been fixed by Walther (I'm told it was an extractor/extractor spring issue), then I would have no issue shooting it as is or of the box. If you need to modify the Legion, then add that cost into your comparison. But the Walther is great out of the box (again, assuming no functional issues) And that's a great thing!

Good luck, whichever way you choose to go.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/5/2019 at 2:24 PM, threat said:

Has anyone shot the Q5 Match next to the Q5 SF that can give us an idea of how the recoil impulses compare? I have a sneaking suspecion that polymer guns absorb recoil pretty well and wanted to compare that to the steel gun.

(Note: I'm aware people that are sponsored by Walther say the SF gun is "so much flatter and faster", however I wan't an unbiased subjective option" 

I have the steel frame and a standard PPQ. My love gun club also has the Polymer Q5 Match for rent and I’ve shot it since it was first put out until buying the steel frame. The steel frame is much heavier and does handle recoil much better. I have found it doesn’t handle standard velocity 115 when I have an optic (Trijicon RMR) on the slide and have to shoot 124 to get flawless operation. The lighter won’t always lock the slide after the last shot. When running the gun real fast the steel frame does group better and I can get my follow up shots sighted faster. If you are going to compete in matches with the Q5 and are already a decent speed go with the steel frame. It has not made me any better, but I’m not great to start with. Even though, I like the feel of the steel frame better and enjoy shooting it more. It has a real right and high quality feel when I’m shooting it. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Saym14 said:

Nice has anyone heard if there is a extended mag release available

I ordered one from Earls back in the summer. Just got a call two weeks ago that they're finally on the way from Germany. Might want to contact Earl's Repair Service and see if all the pre-ordereded ones are already spoken for.

3 hours ago, tombo131 said:

I ordered one from Earls back in the summer. Just got a call two weeks ago that they're finally on the way from Germany. Might want to contact Earl's Repair Service and see if all the pre-ordereded ones are already spoken for.

good news!